Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
Hi,

It seems like there (still) isn't a proper tagging system to put multiple images on one node/way/relation.
Having the ability to link other images as well would be useful I think.
Either via:
`image=url1;url2;url3`
or
```
image=url1
image:2=url2
image:3=url3
```
That later would allow for any application that currently uses images to still continue to work perfectly.

Curious to hear your thoughts

Cheers,
Thibault

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

Tagging mailing list
If someone really needs multiple images on one object then
is standard.

At the same time use for that seems dubious for this specific tag.

Aug 26, 2020, 07:41 by [hidden email]:
Hi,

It seems like there (still) isn't a proper tagging system to put multiple images on one node/way/relation.
Having the ability to link other images as well would be useful I think.
Either via:
`image=url1;url2;url3`
or
```
image=url1
image:2=url2
image:3=url3
```
That later would allow for any application that currently uses images to still continue to work perfectly.

Curious to hear your thoughts

Cheers,
Thibault

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
While I use the semicolon for some other tags already, the problem with using it for something that has a URL.
Is that TECHNICALLYaccording to the specification, a URL can contain a semicolon.
So I feel like the use of a semicolon in a url based tag isn't a good solution

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 08:44 Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cj Malone-3
As mentioned semi colon has issues with URLs. It may also be worth
noting that a OSM value can only have 254 chars in it, a limit that
would get hit quickly with a few URLs.

I've thought about this before, I think we need 1 URL to point to
multiple images. But it can't just be a non standard HTML gallery, it
also needs to be programmatically fetchable so downstream OSM consumers
can use the images directly.

HTTP already has the capability for this with the Accept header.

- If a given URL is loaded in a browser (Accept: text/html) it can show
a HTML page with multiple images in.

- If it's requested by a client like OsmAnd (eg Accept:
application/gallery+json) it could return a JSON blob with details
about the images, there licences, alt text, etc to be embedded in the
app.

But we'd need server support.

Cj

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
That's a good idea actually!
Although I guess there is a part of me that thinks that having just a simple image tag without any fancy stuff is still best for a primary image (so that apps that want to implement it don't need to start messing with this new format and can just load that simple url.

I guess the question then would be if you'd do something like:
"If there is a image_gallery tag on the item, use that instead of the image tag"
and have the image tag be just image1 and the image_gallery refer to image1,image2,image3 etc.

Also, I wonder if this could tie into an IPFS (decentralized internet protocol) system as well

Cheers,
Thibault

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 09:35, Cj Malone <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

See wikimedia_commons that may linki wikimedia commons
gallery.

Aug 26, 2020, 09:33 by [hidden email]:
As mentioned semi colon has issues with URLs. It may also be worth
noting that a OSM value can only have 254 chars in it, a limit that
would get hit quickly with a few URLs.

I've thought about this before, I think we need 1 URL to point to
multiple images. But it can't just be a non standard HTML gallery, it
also needs to be programmatically fetchable so downstream OSM consumers
can use the images directly.

HTTP already has the capability for this with the Accept header.

- If a given URL is loaded in a browser (Accept: text/html) it can show
a HTML page with multiple images in.

- If it's requested by a client like OsmAnd (eg Accept:
application/gallery+json) it could return a JSON blob with details
about the images, there licences, alt text, etc to be embedded in the
app.

But we'd need server support.

Cj

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

> On 26. Aug 2020, at 10:02, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See wikimedia_commons that may linki wikimedia commons
> gallery.

there are quite some links in “image” for wikimedia commons categories (but not all images in a category may be relevant for osm), a more universally applicable way could be interesting I agree. Currently if you want to add a recent photo the best way seems to remove the existing photo link, which is often not ideal. Also many features require at the very least 2 images for a decent representation (back and front)

Cheers Martin

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
I think what Mateusz was referring to was seeing if we could somehow copy the system that commons uses?
(so that any app that can already accept wikimedia commons galleries also can use this new system)

Cheers

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

> On 26. Aug 2020, at 10:02, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See wikimedia_commons that may linki wikimedia commons
> gallery.

there are quite some links in “image” for wikimedia commons categories (but not all images in a category may be relevant for osm), a more universally applicable way could be interesting I agree. Currently if you want to add a recent photo the best way seems to remove the existing photo link, which is often not ideal. Also many features require at the very least 2 images for a decent representation (back and front)

Cheers Martin

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

Tagging mailing list
No, I was thinking about linking Wikimedia Commons galleries.
(such linking also happens indirectly when wikipedia/wikidata tags get added)

Aug 26, 2020, 10:42 by [hidden email]:
I think what Mateusz was referring to was seeing if we could somehow copy the system that commons uses?
(so that any app that can already accept wikimedia commons galleries also can use this new system)

Cheers

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:31, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

> On 26. Aug 2020, at 10:02, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> See wikimedia_commons that may linki wikimedia commons
> gallery.

there are quite some links in “image” for wikimedia commons categories (but not all images in a category may be relevant for osm), a more universally applicable way could be interesting I agree. Currently if you want to add a recent photo the best way seems to remove the existing photo link, which is often not ideal. Also many features require at the very least 2 images for a decent representation (back and front)

Cheers Martin

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

bkil
As mentioned on the linked wiki page, you can escape a semicolon by doubling it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#Escaping_with_.27.3B.3B.27

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 9:11 AM Thibault Molleman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".
Maybe a special example but still:
Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their moderation team.

As mentioned on the linked wiki page, you can escape a semicolon by doubling it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#Escaping_with_.27.3B.3B.27
Ah interesting, somehow missed that.
It's a solution, but still doesn't solve the problem of long urls clogging up one tag.
Definitely if you have long urls because of unique hash/id's

Cheers,

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:54, bkil <bkil.hu+[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Andy Mabbett
On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:04, Thibault Molleman
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons
> just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".

That is not a valid reason for deletion from Wikimedia Commons.

Commons' scope is far wider than just hosting images for Wikipedia.

> Maybe a special example but still:
> Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a
> couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their
> moderation team.

There is no "moderation team" on Commons; deletion decisions there are
made by the community of contributors at large (just like edits in
OSM).

Your images sound as though they would be in scope. Did you try to upload them?

Do you have an example of an image which has been deleted from Commons?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
Ah ok, I had a bunch of my images deleted that I uploaded when i was a kid (maybe not the smartest thing to do at the time.)
They were birthday photos and put them up cause figured it could work as stock photos (remember one site actually using one of them) and they got deleted a couple years ago.
(looking back on the deletion requests. Turns out they were just unsure what the license was. (fair enough, uploaded them when I was 12 or something, so probably didn't really know what I was doing).

Guess wikimedia commons galleries are a good solution then.
Maybe it should be made more clear on the wiki that this is the thing you should do if you want to upload multiple images

Cheers,
Thibault

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons
> just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".

That is not a valid reason for deletion from Wikimedia Commons.

Commons' scope is far wider than just hosting images for Wikipedia.

> Maybe a special example but still:
> Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a
> couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their
> moderation team.

There is no "moderation team" on Commons; deletion decisions there are
made by the community of contributors at large (just like edits in
OSM).

Your images sound as though they would be in scope. Did you try to upload them?

Do you have an example of an image which has been deleted from Commons?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

bkil
I didn't share my viewpoint yet here. In my opinion, there is usually no need for more than one image on a POI (two at worst), so I don't see a need. If you want to photograph each entrance of a school, why don't you attach each photo to the respective entrance? If you made photographs of each hall, why don't you do indoor mapping and attach the photos to the respective hall, etc.

In general, I think it is more productive to create a Wikipedia article about a thing of major interest (like a university) and illustrate the article with a proper amount of images and/or create a gallery there. In this case, even 1 OSM image link is considered excessive, as it could and should be scraped from the sidebar of the article by data users instead. In my experience, Wikipedia does a better job at maintaining articles (and galleries) than OSM in many, if not all regions.

Your link is 100 characters long, and a field is limited to up to 255 unicode characters, so two of these could fit in. I think if you use reasonable providers, links should be reasonably short. Filenames are optional in IPFS links and also, if we added schema-specific a key for ipfs (similar to Mapillary/Flickr/etc), it could be a lot less shorter (46 characters a piece + semicolons), like
image:ipfs=QmR9wseHQiLbv4AnTXACo5rQ1CEcKj2fJq6vEnuZoi6Amd

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 11:06 AM Thibault Molleman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> [...] Examples of files that are not realistically useful for an educational purpose:
> Private image collections, e.g. private party photos, photos of yourself and your friends, your collection of holiday snaps and so on. There are plenty of other projects on the Internet you can use for such a purpose, such as Flickr. Such private image collections do not become educational even if displayed as a gallery on a user page on Commons or elsewhere.

Via:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Project_scope
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Contributing_your_own_work

Some other technology (like IPFS) may also be sufficient for such party photos and the mentioned Flickr also has a creative commons & public domain sharing option that allows reuse for stock footage.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Flickr

Also about uploading your party pictures as a child: you may not have received the informed consent of all models portrayed on the picture (i.e., your family and other customers) that you have uploaded. For example in many countries, you must sign individual waivers if you want to publish the photographs that include identifiable humans. This is especially true with Commons, because the purpose of uploading is to contribute the content in a manner which allows other contributors to edit, remix and reuse your photographs in ways that you or your models did not anticipate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personality_rights
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebrity_privacy#Right_of_publicity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_privacy

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons
> just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".

That is not a valid reason for deletion from Wikimedia Commons.

Commons' scope is far wider than just hosting images for Wikipedia.

> Maybe a special example but still:
> Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a
> couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their
> moderation team.

There is no "moderation team" on Commons; deletion decisions there are
made by the community of contributors at large (just like edits in
OSM).

Your images sound as though they would be in scope. Did you try to upload them?

Do you have an example of an image which has been deleted from Commons?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
Yeah, makes sense.

Having ipfs be a valid image/file tag in osm would be a nice addition actually!

the main use case for having multiple images on one node was for example a store, and you've just taken random images of the store (like you have on Google maps and other map apps)

I do wonder if the average user is going to bother making me Wikimedia account, figuring out how commons works, and then figuring out how to make a gallery.
Wikimedia also seems to kind of force you to describe what each image is, which I guess is isn't bad thing. (but I do think that a lot of images don't need more context than just having them be on the node)

Cheers

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons
> just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".

That is not a valid reason for deletion from Wikimedia Commons.

Commons' scope is far wider than just hosting images for Wikipedia.

> Maybe a special example but still:
> Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a
> couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their
> moderation team.

There is no "moderation team" on Commons; deletion decisions there are
made by the community of contributors at large (just like edits in
OSM).

Your images sound as though they would be in scope. Did you try to upload them?

Do you have an example of an image which has been deleted from Commons?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing
http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

Can you link photos/deletion requests?

Or talk page with deletion info? Maybe your country has no freedom of panorama
and large part of photo was with something copyrighted?

Or maybe there was no description?

When I asked about photos of bicycle parkings.
(such as
)
I got as reply:

"Reasonable quality photographs of identified places are
very unlikely to be considered not in scope"

"scope is very broadly defined. Reasonable quality photos
of public places are generally considered to be in scope.
So, please go ahead and upload those photos"

Aug 26, 2020, 11:04 by [hidden email]:
Ah, I feel like there are certain images that might get deleted from Commons just because they don't "contribute to wikipedia articles".
Maybe a special example but still:
Recently mapped a construction zone for a residential area and took a couple photos. Those might not "belong on Commons" according to their moderation team.

As mentioned on the linked wiki page, you can escape a semicolon by doubling it:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Semi-colon_value_separator#Escaping_with_.27.3B.3B.27
Ah interesting, somehow missed that.
It's a solution, but still doesn't solve the problem of long urls clogging up one tag.
Definitely if you have long urls because of unique hash/id's

Cheers,

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 10:54, bkil <bkil.hu+[hidden email]> wrote:
As mentioned on the linked wiki page, you can escape a semicolon by doubling it:

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 9:11 AM Thibault Molleman <[hidden email]> wrote:
While I use the semicolon for some other tags already, the problem with using it for something that has a URL.
Is that TECHNICALLYaccording to the specification, a URL can contain a semicolon.
So I feel like the use of a semicolon in a url based tag isn't a good solution

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020, 08:44 Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <[hidden email]> wrote:
If someone really needs multiple images on one object then
is standard.

At the same time use for that seems dubious for this specific tag.

Aug 26, 2020, 07:41 by [hidden email]:
Hi,

It seems like there (still) isn't a proper tagging system to put multiple images on one node/way/relation.
Having the ability to link other images as well would be useful I think.
Either via:
`image=url1;url2;url3`
or
```
image=url1
image:2=url2
image:3=url3
```
That later would allow for any application that currently uses images to still continue to work perfectly.

Curious to hear your thoughts

Cheers,
Thibault

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

> On 26. Aug 2020, at 12:18, bkil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> there is usually no need for more than one image on a POI

I have recently tagged some city gates and both sides would have been interesting. The other kind of POI I am frequently taking photos are fountains and drinking fountains, where indeed a single foto is completely sufficient in almost all cases. It’s not generally answerable.

Cheers Martin

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

Tagging mailing list
I feel like those examples (city gates and fountains) would be appropriate places to use a wikimedia category.

Assuming the drinking fountains are unique, if not then do they need multiple photos?

Thanks
Sent from Jake Edmonds' iPhone

> On 26 Aug 2020, at 14:29, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 26. Aug 2020, at 12:18, bkil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> there is usually no need for more than one image on a POI
>

> I have recently tagged some city gates and both sides would have been interesting. The other kind of POI I am frequently taking photos are fountains and drinking fountains, where indeed a single foto is completely sufficient in almost all cases. It’s not generally answerable.
>
> Cheers Martin

Re: Tagging multiple images on one object

thibaultmol
Can you link photos/deletion requests?
Again, don't bother with that. I was 13, didn't know what I was doing, main reason why they were deleted according to the deletion requests were because they didn't have a license attached to them, so they didn't know if it was even allowed on there. (wouldn't happen with todays upload wizard)

 Assuming the drinking fountains are unique

I feel like it just shouldn't matter if they are unique. We shouldn't have to justify why an image is important.
The fact that the image is linked to an osm node is enough reason for the image to be online. But the problem is that Wikimedia wouldn't care for such a reason.
So that is the reason why I would always archive.org images I'd put on Commons probably

Cheers,
Thibault