Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

Tom Taylor-2
In Ottawa we have organizations dedicated to the provision of community
nursing services, on-premises and in the home. They take their direction
from doctors, but the doctors are not present and not part of the
organization. I would be naturally inclined to tag their premises as
amenity=clinic, but that doesn't seem to fit with the official definition.

Similarly I don't know how to label the premises of one or more
physiotherapists, even if they call themselves a clinic.

Tom Taylor

Re: Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

Tom Taylor-2
I just discovered something promising -- the healthcare= tags. They
definitely cover physiotherapy and optometry (another item I
encountered). The question is: are they used in practice?

On 27/11/2012 10:30 AM, Tom Taylor wrote:

> In Ottawa we have organizations dedicated to the provision of community
> nursing services, on-premises and in the home. They take their direction
> from doctors, but the doctors are not present and not part of the
> organization. I would be naturally inclined to tag their premises as
> amenity=clinic, but that doesn't seem to fit with the official definition.
>
> Similarly I don't know how to label the premises of one or more
> physiotherapists, even if they call themselves a clinic.
>
> Tom Taylor

Re: Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

Matt Williams-2
On 27 November 2012 16:05, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I just discovered something promising -- the healthcare= tags. They
> definitely cover physiotherapy and optometry (another item I encountered).
> The question is: are they used in practice?

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/healthcare#values should help.

Cheers,
Matt

Re: Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

SomeoneElse
Tom Taylor wrote:
> I just discovered something promising -- the healthcare= tags. They
> definitely cover physiotherapy and optometry (another item I
> encountered). The question is: are they used in practice?

There's a site called "taginfo" that allows you to find out the answers
to such questions.  For example,

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=healthcare

shows initially all keys containing "healthcare".  Click just
"healthcare" at the top and then values, and you'll see which values are
used, as well as lots of other useful links.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Tagging of nursing services, physiotherapists/massage

James Ewen
On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Matt Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 27 November 2012 16:05, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just discovered something promising -- the healthcare= tags. They
>> definitely cover physiotherapy and optometry (another item I encountered).
>> The question is: are they used in practice?
>
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/healthcare#values should help.

Now, of course if everyone looked to see if a tag is in use, and
waited for someone else to use it, then tags would never get used.

I understand your concern though. Do you use tags that aren't going to
be rendered anywhere? The corollary to this is why would the renderers
support tags that are not in use?

It's a chicken vs. the egg issue... If you tag it, the renderers may
follow. No tags, no rendering.

Of course, using common tags is important... so looking at tag info
lets you match the tags in use. However if a tag for the amenity you
wish to tag is not defined, that doesn't mean you can't add it. This
is a living and growing project.

--
James
VE6SRV

On 27/11/2012 11:55 AM, James Ewen wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Matt Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 27 November 2012 16:05, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just discovered something promising -- the healthcare= tags. They
>>> definitely cover physiotherapy and optometry (another item I encountered).
>>> The question is: are they used in practice?
>>
>> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/healthcare#values should help.
>
> Now, of course if everyone looked to see if a tag is in use, and
> waited for someone else to use it, then tags would never get used.
>
> I understand your concern though. Do you use tags that aren't going to
> be rendered anywhere? The corollary to this is why would the renderers
> support tags that are not in use?
>
> It's a chicken vs. the egg issue... If you tag it, the renderers may
> follow. No tags, no rendering.
>
> Of course, using common tags is important... so looking at tag info
> lets you match the tags in use. However if a tag for the amenity you
> wish to tag is not defined, that doesn't mean you can't add it. This
> is a living and growing project.

My concern in this case was one of process. The healthcare proposal is
listed as "Post-Vote" or something like that. A year (since the close of
voting) seemed like a long time to do cleanup, so I wondered if the
proposal had actually dead-ended.

Tom Taylor wrote:

> My concern in this case was one of process. The healthcare proposal is
> listed as "Post-Vote" or something like that. A year (since the close
> of voting) seemed like a long time to do cleanup, so I wondered if the
> proposal had actually dead-ended.

I guess that you're referring to this page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Healthcare

I wouldn't worry too much about voting.  The OSM wiki is unfortunately
the target of a small number of people who take great delight in telling
other people how and what to map, but don't actually do much mapping
themselves.

The strength of OSM is that you're actually encouraged to use whatever
tags you like; you don't have to wait for "approval".  Of course, it
makes sense to try and use the same tags as other people for the same
thing (so asking here or the help site is exactly the right thing to do).

In the case of "physiotherapy", typing that and physiotherapist into
taginfo gives a selection of keys:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=physiotherapy#keys
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=physiotherapist#keys

and values:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=physiotherapy#values
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=physiotherapist#values

I'd have a look through those and see what seems the best fit to you.

In the case of "healthcare=physiotherapist" relatively few have been
tagged so far so you can use taginfo's XAPI link to download an XML file
to see what else these items have been tagged with:
http://overpass-api.de/api/xapi_meta?*[healthcare%3Dphysiotherapist]

Cheers,
Andy.