Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

AlaskaDave

I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as junkyards. Mostly these are where old automobiles go when they are discarded and are a source of used parts. They are therefore an amenity of considerable value, at least to some people. In other countries they might be called scrapyards (or perhaps salvage_yards or even some variation on automobile_salvage) so I'm looking for input from our little world-spanning community of expert taggers.

After consulting Taginfo I've come up with these two tags for now:
landuse=industrial
industrial=scrap_yard

Opinions, suggestions?
--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

After consulting Taginfo I've come up with these two tags for now:
landuse=industrial
industrial=scrap_yard

Opinions, suggestions?

I'd prefer a "feature" tag, rather than a refinement of the landus attribute.
What about man_made=scrap_yard?

Not sure if it could also be considered a kind of works, e.g. we might see it as kind of a recycling plant?
Shall we distinguish places which only do cars? We could also add a tag combination of
shop=car_parts and
Other scrap yards might generally buy and sell all kinds of old machinery / scrap metal.

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Andy Townsend

After consulting Taginfo I've come up with these two tags for now:
landuse=industrial
industrial=scrap_yard

Opinions, suggestions?

I'd prefer a "feature" tag, rather than a refinement of the landus attribute.
What about man_made=scrap_yard?

taginfo suggests "amenity=scrapyard" actually (60, as opposed to 20 industrial=scrap_yard).

Cheers,

Andy

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

taginfo suggests "amenity=scrapyard" actually (60, as opposed to 20 industrial=scrap_yard).

+1, if you don't like man_made, make it amenity. Any subtags for the kind of stuff (ships, cars, machinery, ...)?

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

AlaskaDave
taginfo suggests "amenity=scrapyard" actually (60, as opposed to 20 industrial=scrap_yard).

 I like that one. I must have missed it on my brief gander at Taginfo :-0

How then to add tags for the "stuff" stored there - cars, metals, building materials, etc. ?

scrap=cars
scrap=metal ??

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

taginfo suggests "amenity=scrapyard" actually (60, as opposed to 20 industrial=scrap_yard).

+1, if you don't like man_made, make it amenity. Any subtags for the kind of stuff (ships, cars, machinery, ...)?

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Matthijs Melissen
On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as junkyards. Mostly these are where old automobiles go when they are discarded and are a source of used parts. They are therefore an amenity of considerable value, at least to some people. In other countries they might be called scrapyards (or perhaps salvage_yards or even some variation on automobile_salvage) so I'm looking for input from our little world-spanning community of expert taggers.

Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of their money from selling the iron used in cars.

-- Matthijs

On 20/01/2016 17:19, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as junkyards.

Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of their money from selling the iron used in cars.

I'd have thought that a "waste transfer station" was something else?  Scrapyards round here tend to major not so much in selling iron but in car parts (though obviously that'll vary with commodity prices and local area).  I think I've seen at least one "waste transfer station" somewhere in the county though what that's tagged as I wouldn't like to say.   It didn't look very scrapyardish (though I can see how there might be overlap of edge cases).

Cheers,

Andy

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Tod Fitch

On Jan 20, 2016, at 9:19 AM, Matthijs Melissen <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 20 January 2016 at 02:03, Dave Swarthout <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm trying to decide how to tag what we in the U.S. refer to as junkyards. Mostly these are where old automobiles go when they are discarded and are a source of used parts. They are therefore an amenity of considerable value, at least to some people. In other countries they might be called scrapyards (or perhaps salvage_yards or even some variation on automobile_salvage) so I'm looking for input from our little world-spanning community of expert taggers.

Would amenity=waste_transfer_station be an option? See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_transfer_station . Perhaps this makes more sense for scrapyards that make most of their money from selling the iron used in cars.

The three places I know of that are officially called “waste transfer stations” are relatively small facilities where rubbish is collected for short term storage and then trucked off for final disposal (or possibly recycling) elsewhere. I don’t think that the ones I’ve looked at have enough space for more than a day or two of storage and suspect that everything deposited there is removed within a day.

This is quite different than a scrap or salvage yard where it may be months or years before things are disassembled for parts sales or crushed, etc.

So I am not sure how a junkyard should be tagged but am pretty sure that “waste transfer station” ought not be confused with it.

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

On 21/01/2016 4:31 AM, Andy Townsend wrote:
[...]

I too think of a 'waste transfer station' as something else. They don't store stuff for long - moving it on fairly quickly. Say less than a week.

A 'junkard' would usually have things stored for quite some time. Save over a year. They sell the individual parts to people who want those parts for use rather than scrapping them. What ever parts that are not wanted .. those go to the recyclers.

--------------------
A 'junkard' can be for cars, trucks, motorcycles, earth movers, aeroplanes ... I think that needs to be specified.

They go by various names depending on where you are .. 'boneyeard', 'wreckers' ...

for example I'd tag them;
landuse=industrial
industrial=car_wreckers
shop=car_parts
car_parts:secondhand=ford;gmc

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

AlaskaDave
A waste transfer station is a different operation from this one, which is a place to store used parts for the long-term until someone buys them. The things stored therein are not waste but resellable parts. If I want a tail-light lens for a 1975 Ford, for example, the best place, often the only place, to get it would be at a junkyard/scrapyard.

Thanks for the input. I've got some good ideas now. I now agree that adding the tags for shop=car_parts and second_hand=only would help describe this particular type of scrapyard quite nicely.

Cheers,
Dave

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 3:46 AM, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sdoerr
On 20/01/2016 23:12, Dave Swarthout wrote:
> A waste transfer station is a different operation from this one, which
> is a place to store used parts for the long-term until someone buys
> them. The things stored therein are not waste but resellable parts. If
> I want a tail-light lens for a 1975 Ford, for example, the best place,
> often the only place, to get it would be at a junkyard/scrapyard.

Commonly called a 'breaker's yard' here in the UK - the other terms are
equally comprehensible though.

--
Steve

---

Re: Tagging scrap yards, junkyards

Paul Johnson-3

On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 3:16 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

After consulting Taginfo I've come up with these two tags for now:
landuse=industrial
industrial=scrap_yard

Opinions, suggestions?

I'd prefer a "feature" tag, rather than a refinement of the landus attribute.
What about man_made=scrap_yard?

Not sure if it could also be considered a kind of works, e.g. we might see it as kind of a recycling plant?
Shall we distinguish places which only do cars? We could also add a tag combination of
shop=car_parts and

This is how I view junkyards.  I consider scrapyards a different critter, though, more in the recycling tagging schemes than anything, as that tends to be where cars that were once in the junkyard go when the junkyards decide it's cheaper use the space for a more complete unit than keep the existing one on the lot.