[Talk-transit] Importing bus stops without names on sign

[Talk-transit] Importing bus stops without names on sign

Martin Weilandt
Hello,

after mapping the bus stops here in Florianópolis (Brazil) on our own for several years, one of our volunteers finally received a complete table with coordinates and other information of some two thousand stops from the city. Since we are not yet completely sure how to deal with stops without a name on their signs (some even without any sign at all), I wondered if someone here might have some idea.

Some stops have official names on their sign containing the name of the street and a reference number (starting from 01 in each street). So we always put this combination into "name". The stops without sign or just with a bus symbol don't have any tag "name".

The list of the city contains three columns relevant in this context: The name of the street, the official reference number within the street (which does not always coincide with the number mentioned above) and an entry with the closest house number ("in front of no. 1234" or "opposite no. 1234" and maybe a short reference point). I put the first two columns into the OSM tags addr:street and ref:pmf (with pmf standing for our city government). Since the last information can also be useful for users or perhaps for some GTFS exports in the future (which would demand a name for every stop), I used to put it into some tag like description, but wonder if there may be anything more specific. Or is that too much redundance and we should put this information only temporarily into the stop nodes and hope that in the future someone creates addr tags next to all of these stops (which may lead to slightly incorrect addresses).

Just for the record: Here is an example of a stop already surveyed by us to which I added the official data from the city:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1775736235

Here is a stop of which we don't know if it has a name on the shelter, so I only imported all the official data mentioned above: https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4125708518

And here is a stop which (according to the city) does not have any sign (so the user needs to know the house number to wait at the right spot):
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/4125708512

I'd appreciate any hints and perhaps experiences from other parts of the world (probably struggling with similar problems).

Cheers

Re: [Talk-transit] Importing bus stops without names on sign

Eduardo Mayorga Téllez-2
Hi Martin,

El vie, 22-04-2016 a las 20:31 +0200, Martin Weilandt escribió:
> I'd appreciate any hints and perhaps experiences from other parts of
> the world (probably struggling with similar problems).
>
> Cheers
> Martin

In Managua (Nicaragua), we faced similar problems when surveying all
the bus stops. Most of them do not have any sign nor shelter, so it's
hard to tell whether they are "official" or just "convenient" spots
that people claim and just happen to have the habit to wait in. It's a
huge mess.

Fortunately, we found the tables with the "official" names for every
stop[1]. The nomenclature is somewhat makeshift tough. This is because
we do not use street names nor house numbers for addresses in real
life, but rather *reference points*. We'd say "from Pharmacy Foobar,
go three blocks south. On your right hand you'll see a green house in
the corner."

So "official" bus stop names look like this:
* "300m west from BAC Bank"
* "In front of Metrocentro Mall"
* "Where Pepsi used to exist" (my favorite one)

As you can see this is a nightmare, because the reference points may
change their name or disappear. So what we did was to use a the name of
the reference point in the "name" tag (to keep it short) and the long
official name in "official_name."

"300m west from BAC Bank" would become "BAC Bank" in name.
"In front of Metrocentro Mall" would become "Metrocentro" in
name.
You can see these examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3275463516
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2475807999

But we did this just because we wanted a short name that people could
remember easily, so that they started to use these in daily life as an
intent of standardization. And also because we use the value of
"name" for the OSM Nicaragua's own web public transport map, the
only one available. (Thanks to Felix Delattre!):
http://rutas.mapanica.net/#13/12.1250/-86.2500

Eduardo

[1]
http://irtramma.guegue.info/media/documentos/DIST._ENTRE_PARADA_RUTA_112.pdf