Tasks to do?

Immanuel Scholz
Hi again,

I got the source, I was able to compile it within eclipse (anyone want a
.project file for this? ;). I played a bit with the applet.

One problem is, that I am unable to create an account for the xmlrpc
server. I wrote to the other mailing list about that, hopefully I will
be able to contact the server soon. :)

Well, what to do next? Should I start a seperate project.
As example a qtopia-pda client for recording/display the openstreetdata?
Or maybe better a plugin to qpegps to upload the just recorded track to
the xmlrpc server?

Or I could grab some items from bugzilla and look into this? I found
many places of cosmetic changes to the current codebase as well. How do
you like patches sent (and to whom)? Will svn diffs do?

Ciao, Imi.

Re: Tasks to do?

Tom Carden
Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I got the source, I was able to compile it within eclipse (anyone want a
> .project file for this? ;). I played a bit with the applet.

I'm interested!  I'm not an eclipse user yet, but I intend to start
using it soon.

> One problem is, that I am unable to create an account for the xmlrpc
> server. I wrote to the other mailing list about that, hopefully I will
> be able to contact the server soon. :)

Not sure why that would be.  Steve and Ben are the guys to advise on that.

> Well, what to do next? Should I start a seperate project.
> As example a qtopia-pda client for recording/display the openstreetdata?
> Or maybe better a plugin to qpegps to upload the just recorded track to
> the xmlrpc server?

They both sound cool.  You should know that the API will change soon.

> Or I could grab some items from bugzilla and look into this?

It was on my TODO list to start transferring items from the wiki
Status/Ideas/Roadmap pages to Bugzilla, and assign them to willing
developers.  You could certainly help with that.

I am (somewhat selfishly) rewriting the applet using Processing
(www.processing.org) at the moment.  Steve is speccing up and
implementing the API in Ruby using a RESTful model at the moment.  The
proposed spec for that is on the wiki and I'm sure you can help there.

> I found
> many places of cosmetic changes to the current codebase as well. How do
> you like patches sent (and to whom)? Will svn diffs do?

Sounds like you need a SVN account.  I'm sure Steve can hook you up at
some point, and fill you in on the necessary details, once he's back
from WhatTheHack.

Best,

Tom.

Re: Tasks to do?

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Immanuel Scholz]
> Well, what to do next? Should I start a seperate project.  As
> example a qtopia-pda client for recording/display the
> openstreetdata?  Or maybe better a plugin to qpegps to upload the
> just recorded track to the xmlrpc server?

If you want something for your zaurus, you might have a look at one of
the road finding applications (roadmap, roadster, navsys), and add
support for reading data from OpenStreetmap into them.  At least
roadmap runs on Zaurus already.

  Roadmap <URL:http://roadmap.digitalomaha.net/>
  Roadster <URL:http://linuxadvocate.org/projects/roadster/>
  NavSys <URL:http://www.navsys.org/>

Re: Tasks to do?

Nick Whitelegg-2

>Well, what to do next? Should I start a seperate project.
>As example a qtopia-pda client for recording/display the openstreetdata?
>Or maybe better a plugin to qpegps to upload the just recorded track to
>the xmlrpc server?

The "osm-editor" application, in Subversion, is a Qt based track and
waypoint editing application, so you might want to play around with that to
get it to work on a PDA.

Nick

Re: Tasks to do?

stevec-4

> Immanuel Scholz wrote:
> >Hi again,
> >
> >I got the source, I was able to compile it within eclipse (anyone want a
> >.project file for this? ;). I played a bit with the applet.
> >

> I'm interested!  I'm not an eclipse user yet, but I intend to start
> using it soon.
>
> >One problem is, that I am unable to create an account for the xmlrpc
> >server. I wrote to the other mailing list about that, hopefully I will
> >be able to contact the server soon. :)
> >

> Not sure why that would be.  Steve and Ben are the guys to advise on that.

I tested account creation at

http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit/newUser.jsp

and it WorksForMe. If you got a blank page then it probably means your
password was too short/long. Informative I know...

> >I found
> >many places of cosmetic changes to the current codebase as well. How do
> >you like patches sent (and to whom)? Will svn diffs do?
> >

> Sounds like you need a SVN account.  I'm sure Steve can hook you up at
> some point, and fill you in on the necessary details, once he's back
> from WhatTheHack.

Will send an account...

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/