Tempoary street closure

Bill Leddy
Hi all,

I have a question about how to handle a situation where a street section is temporarily closed for construction but it will likely be so for several months.

Is it best to mark access as no to cars, bikes and peds or what?

Regards,
    Bill Leddy

Re: Tempoary street closure

Iván Sánchez Ortega
El Lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014 12:31:06 Bill Leddy escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about how to handle a situation where a street section is
> temporarily closed for construction but it will likely be so for several
> months.

Replace "highway=residential" with two tags: "highway=construction" and
"construction=residential". How to do this depends on the editor you're using
(iD, JOSM, etc)

See also: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dconstruction

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
@RealIvanSanchez

Re: Tempoary street closure

Richard Welty-2
On 11/3/14 3:42 PM, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:

> El Lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014 12:31:06 Bill Leddy escribió:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question about how to handle a situation where a street section is
>> temporarily closed for construction but it will likely be so for several
>> months.
> Replace "highway=residential" with two tags: "highway=construction" and
> "construction=residential". How to do this depends on the editor you're using
> (iD, JOSM, etc)

i would also add the access tags as Bill suggested. highway=construction
doesn't seem to imply any particular access, and since highways under
construction sometimes can still be used, i don't think it should.

richard

  OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
  Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: Tempoary street closure

wouter van der plas
the big problem with this solution is offline apps.

for example: i have the osmand app and downloaded my area.
but when ever i would leave my neighborhood it would route wrong. and when ever i would check on the osm site it would do fine.

after a while i discover that i had a street under construction but all the work was done and it was changed in osm but it was still in my app.

On 11/3/14 7:25 PM, wouter van der plas wrote:
the big problem with this solution is offline apps.

for example: i have the osmand app and downloaded my area.
but when ever i would leave my neighborhood it would route wrong. and when ever i would check on the osm site it would do fine.

after a while i discover that i had a street under construction but all the work was done and it was changed in osm but it was still in my app.
there's not really a good solution to this other than using apps where
map updates are frequent - whether that's online apps that take copies
frequently, or offline apps where they try to stay current.

i find that OsmAnd produces updates 2 or 3 times a month, which is pretty
good. much better than quarterly updates from Garmin, so i think we
actually do pretty well.

richard
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search

Re: Tempoary street closure

John F. Eldredge
Unfortunately, that is a problem inherent to offline maps, including paper maps. The only solution is to provide a way to periodically update the offline data.

On November 3, 2014 6:25:48 PM CST, wouter van der plas <[hidden email]> wrote:
the big problem with this solution is offline apps.

for example: i have the osmand app and downloaded my area.
but when ever i would leave my neighborhood it would route wrong. and when ever i would check on the osm site it would do fine.

after a while i discover that i had a street under construction but all the work was done and it was changed in osm but it was still in my app.

El Lunes, 3 de noviembre de 2014 12:31:06 Bill Leddy escribió:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about how to handle a situation where a street section is
> temporarily closed for construction but it will likely be so for several
> months.

Replace "highway=residential" with two tags: "highway=construction" and
"construction=residential". How to do this depends on the editor you're using
(iD, JOSM, etc)

See also: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dconstruction

--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

http://ivan.sanchezortega.es
@RealIvanSanchez

Re: Tempoary street closure

Pieren
On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM, John F. Eldredge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately, that is a problem inherent to offline maps, including paper
> maps. The only solution is to provide a way to periodically update the
> offline data.

But such cases could be easily fixed by a special tagging, eg keeping
the permanent character of a road with the classical tags
(highway=primary) and store the temporary closure somewhere else
(highway:start/stop=*). Then we move the responsability to show or not
the closure onto the applications (which are the one who knows the
current date).
Something to discuss on tagging list.

Pieren

Re: Tempoary street closure

Bill Leddy
I don't know how well that would work. In the case of the road section I was looking at, the start date is known but end dates are often hard to reliably predict. In addition the nature of this particular street will change — possibly to destination — but it's not too clear to me.

I wonder under what circumstances a user would want to keep data unchanged (for months in this case) on a device. --- I guess that would be the case where updates have to come from a vendor via CD or such. I would have thought those style of devices are pretty much out of the market by now but, of course, I don't know.

Regards,
    Bill Leddy