The point on the OSM Response to the DR Congo Nord Kivu Ebola outbreak

The point on the OSM Response to the DR Congo Nord Kivu Ebola outbreak

Ralph Aytoun-2

Thank you Pierre,

I am also concerned about the quality of the mapping that is tying up projects because it takes up so much validation time. This is counter productive as it would be quicker for the experienced mappers to map them but they are tied up checking and correcting so much.

The entry point to mapping by beginners is mostly with the iD Editor.

What I have been asking about for some time is a building tool in the iD Editor similar to the one in JOSM and your concerns about the quality problems highlights the fact that this new tool has become a matter of urgency. There has been talk about it being in development for over a year now. Can we not divert some funds to get someone to give this their urgent attention and solve many of our validating problems?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: The point on the OSM Response to the DR Congo Nord Kivu Ebola outbreak

Bjoern Hassler
Hi Pierre, hi Ralph,

I agree with Ralph, that we need to have the right tools for the job.

- on dec.5 with beginners, participation, 3,025 buildings were edited but 40.2% with irregular shapes

Certain aspects of newcomer training could be more standardised. For example, at the Cambridge mapathons, we aimed to provide very concrete guidelines regarding how buildings should and should not be mapped, showing several good/bad examples. (The slides are on the drive: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1xFDiMaWRj1RBlXzVYlKp06yE2Ja9Q5rmD9-bPDp1TWo/edit#slide=id.g2326c0c777_5_273, see building mapping in iD). During the talk, we used to go through this quickly, but people would have the slides available (digitally) to check them in their own time. Maybe many other mapathons use similar slides, it may just be that I haven't seen them.

I'd developed a demonstrator for a real-time tool a little while ago which (through overpass queries) monitored edits made during a mapathon, allowing the identification of users that aren't mapping, or aren't mapping as well as expected. Now, this was just a proof of concept, but IMHO people running a mapathon should have access to such a tool (properly developed), allowing them to spot problems then and there, i.e. spot newcomers who need a little extra help to get started, rather than only seeing these issues at validation stage.

Crowdsourcing is great, but beginner mapping is not completely trivial - more discourse around effective training, offering the right tools, catching issues early etc would be good. I'd be quite happy to coordinate some action research around all this to help move the agenda forward (if there are people who can dedicate time to this so the effort per person is reasonable.)

Bjoern

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 01:17, Ralph Aytoun <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Mr. Stace D Maples

Bjoern,

This slide deck is a fantastic resource. May I use it in our OSM workshops?

In F,L&T,

Stace Maples

Geospatial Manager

Stanford Geospatial Center

@mapninja

G+, Skype, Hangout: stacey.maples

214.641.0920

Find GeoData: https://earthworks.stanford.edu

Get GeoHelp: https://gis.stanford.edu/

"I have a map of the United States... actual size.

It says, "Scale: 1 mile = 1 mile."

I spent last summer folding it."

-Steven Wright-

Re: The point on the OSM Response to the DR Congo Nord Kivu Ebola outbreak

Bjoern Hassler
Hi Stace,

of course! What I and Steve Penson added is CC BY-SA licensed, so we formally encourage re-use by explicitly given permission :) So thank you for letting us know - we're delighted it's useful. Permission has already been granted by the CC licence. (All other sources are attributed, which are all OSM materials or imagery). Although CC is mentioned in the intro, I've just stuck the badge and explanation on the last slide, now it's clearer!

Glad it's useful! Feedback happily received!
Bjoern