The tag landuse = clearing

The tag “landuse=clearing” was extensively used in Costa Rica by #hotosm-task-417 #YouthMappers #TexasTech during November 2017, mapping around Parque Nacional Coicovado in Costa Rica.

Unfortunately this tag is not documented on the OSM wiki, I have started to document what I think it is and looks like from some satellite imagery.

The proposal page to document the possible tag can be found here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover%3Dclearing.

There are several suggestions as to how to map these things better- with more information and some should result with rendering on maps.

However, my questions are;

Do HOT use the tag at all for there own purposes?

Will there be any problems and/or objections to changing ‘landuse=clearing’ to “landcover=clearing” ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

PS I note that many of these ways introduced have touching rings and duplicate segments. I have edited many of them so they now don’t generate errors on OSMinspector see https://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=areas&lon=-83.46332&lat=8.53010&zoom=11

I have not touched the north eastern coastal area so you can see the problems.

PPS I am motivated to keep land cover things out of the land use key, hence my personal interest in this tag.

Re: The tag landuse = clearing

althio
Hi Warin,

You could try also to get in touch there:
Tab "questions and comments"

Cheers

-- althio

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018, 05:42 Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

pierzen
We should not make permanent what is not permanent !

Let's look at North of DR Congo, which is a forestry area with small villages spread everywhere and  people making wood cuts.  In such areas, the cuts are not permanent and a few years later there will be trees growing already.  Since this is not permanent, not grass, this should not be distinguished in the OpenStreetMap database.

There were also many missinterpretations for the Ebola outbreak with contributors tracing residential landuse polygons.  Sometimes there are cuts for building houses. But more often, simply wood cuts to sell the wood to the forestry industry.

Pierre

Hi,