Thoughts on the "Community portal"

Alex Vieira
Hello all,

as I read this list I realise that there are people from many places using
this website - France, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Sweden, US, (hopefully more)
- why don´t you add a page in the wiki for your "groups"?
It makes it easier to keep track of what is done (and not), and, makes it
easier for people not actively mapping a country to communicate to the ones
that do any mapping that one happens to make in another country.

I made the page for Netherlands, I don´t know if there are other
"Nederlanders" mapping it, but I got a message from someone who had uploaded
some tracks in Holland, which I may then be able to identify to add to the
lists of completed roads.
I am at this moment mapping some highways in Germany, and it would be nice for
someone to keep track of what exists and not.

Furthermore, it is more appealing to a newcomer when checking out the site, to
see that he wont be alone.

Well, that is all for today,

greetings,

Alex

Re: Thoughts on the "Community portal"

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Alex Vieira]
> - why don´t you add a page in the wiki for your "groups"?

Very good idea.  I started on the project page for Norway on
<URL:http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/WikiProject_Norway>,
and added a link to my own page in Norwegian as well as my name.

I see several country groups already started on their pages as
well. :)

Re: Thoughts on the "Community portal"

Erik Johansson-2
On 1/4/06, Alex Vieira <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> as I read this list I realise that there are people from many places using
> this website - France, Ireland, Germany, Norway, Sweden, US, (hopefully more)
> - why don´t you add a page in the wiki for your "groups"?
> It makes it easier to keep track of what is done (and not), and, makes it
> easier for people not actively mapping a country to communicate to the ones
> that do any mapping that one happens to make in another country.

I'm using a wikipedian like Category for listing the users in Sweden,
though I'm pretty lonely in Sweden at this moment, since I don't feel
I can edit their user pages myself. ;-)

http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Users_in_Sweden

--
/Erik

Re: Thoughts on the "Community portal"

Tommy Persson

> From: Erik Johansson <[hidden email]>
>
> I'm using a wikipedian like Category for listing the users in Sweden,
> though I'm pretty lonely in Sweden at this moment, since I don't feel
> I can edit their user pages myself. ;-)
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Users_in_Sweden

How do you add a category?  I spent 10 minutes looking for how to do
it but could not find it.

/Tommy

On 1/5/06, Tommy Persson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > From: Erik Johansson <[hidden email]>
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Users_in_Sweden
> >

> How do you add a category?  I spent 10 minutes looking for how to do
> it but could not find it.

Just write [[Category:Mailing list]] and you will have a new category.

--
/Erik

Re: Thoughts on the "Community portal"

Lars Aronsson
Tommy Persson wrote:

> How do you add a category?  I spent 10 minutes looking for how
> to do it but could not find it.

To add yourself to that category, simply add the phrase
[[category:Users in Sweden]] in your user page.   On the category
page, the included pages will be listed alphabetically, so all
users will appear under "U".  To escape this, change the phrase to
[[category:Users in Sweden|Tompe]] and your name will be listed
under "T" in the category page.

If instead you want to make a regular link to the category page,
as Amvv wanted to do from WikiProject Sweden, you must add a colon
to the beginning of the phrase, like this,
[[:category:Users in Sweden]]

This morning I created a [[category:Users in Östergötland]] and
added you, me, and Ka-Ka to it.  This is subcategory to Users in
Sweden.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])