To the debianistas

stevec-4
I have this old laptop which has some scripts to make it record GPS
traces. It consists of

hardware

* old laptop, long battery life but just one usb slot
* usb wifi stick, prism chipset which is AFAIK linux supported
* gpsd supportable usb gps

software

* matts SiRF chipset talking driver that writes gpx files
* a watchdog timer in the s/w that makes it die if the gps disappears
* a bash script with a infinite while loop to call the s/w
* the bash script is called from /etc/init.d

The idea here is that the laptop is completely automatic so I can give
it to anyone with very simple instructions. They give it back to me and
I manually grab the (badly formed) gpx files and upload them. It should
be resilient to having the gps / wifi unplugged, or being turned off
etc.  It should JustWork.

What I would like now is a debian package that does this for me, and
emails the gpx files to me. It should take two config options:

* email address
* gps device

It should automatically record gpx files and then mail them whenever the
gps goes away or perhaps if they get too big. Then when I plug the wifi
stick in, it searches for free wifi networks, tests them, brings up
exim4 (debians default MTA) and mails them to me but keeping a copy.
Maybe I give it 'approved' essid and WEP keys of my network and ones at
work etc... perhaps this can be built in to /etc/network/interfaces ?

And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: To the debianistas

Raphael Jacquot-2
SteveC wrote:
> And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
> made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...

you could use gpsd, which is arguably better.
in which case, add dbus and my gpxlogger to the mix, and you're all set
you could add those things in inittab to auto-respawn if they crash

Re: To the debianistas

stevec-4
* @ 06/07/05 08:32:49 AM [hidden email] wrote:
> SteveC wrote:
> > And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
> > made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...
>
> you could use gpsd, which is arguably better.
> in which case, add dbus and my gpxlogger to the mix, and you're all set
> you could add those things in inittab to auto-respawn if they crash

Cool, want to help?

I'm happy for gpsd as long as it doesn't hang if the device goes away
randomly...

SteveC wrote:

> Cool, want to help?
>
> I'm happy for gpsd as long as it doesn't hang if the device goes away
> randomly...
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

sure :D

gpsd doesn't hang when the device disappears.
it now has hotplug features and restarts whenever the gps is plugged in
(works either with serial (the serial port being fixed) or USB with some
appropriate udev hacks^Wrules)

Re: To the debianistas

Raphael Jacquot-2
SteveC wrote:

> * @ 06/07/05 08:32:49 AM [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>SteveC wrote:
>>
>>>And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
>>>made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...
>>
>>you could use gpsd, which is arguably better.
>>in which case, add dbus and my gpxlogger to the mix, and you're all set
>>you could add those things in inittab to auto-respawn if they crash
>

> Cool, want to help?
>
> I'm happy for gpsd as long as it doesn't hang if the device goes away
> randomly...
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

by the way, that's what I use in the CarPC

http://www.esitcom.org/gallery/carpc-v3

that I used to cover my trip across northern europe :D

Re: To the debianistas

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Steve Coast]
> The idea here is that the laptop is completely automatic so I can
> give it to anyone with very simple instructions. They give it back
> to me and I manually grab the (badly formed) gpx files and upload
> them. It should be resilient to having the gps / wifi unplugged, or
> being turned off etc.  It should JustWork.

I'm interested in making this happen.  But As with Amaury, I have a
few suggested changes to the design.

 - Use gpsd and gpxlogger, and do some log rotation based on timespan
   or file length.

 - Upload using http and fall back to email.  This work on more
   networks than the email solution.

> What I would like now is a debian package that does this for me, and
> emails the gpx files to me. It should take two config options:
>
> * email address
> * gps device

gpsd these days are completely automatic.  It detects gps device
automatically.

> And all in a debian package. Petter? Other Debian people? Having not
> made a deb or have huge amounts of experience with gpsd...

Should be doable.  I've already started on scripts to do this, but
never found time to complete it.  Should we make a new directory in
subversion?  osm-autologger, perhaps?

Making the debian package is the easy part.  Getting the logic for log
rotation and uploading right is a bit harder.

How should we do it?  Place the machine online and do hacking on it,
or just share files using subversion?  I haven't got a gpsd-enabled
gps these days, as my last one is broken, and the new Garmin one
require a kernel module to function with gpsd (not present on my
system yet).  But I do have a few draft scripts.

We need a debian package of the gpxlogger program.  I would prefer to
get it included into the gpsd package instead of having it as a
separate program, as this would increase the user base and reduce the
dependency requirements.  Amaury, what do you say?  Interested in
pushing it into the gpsd upsteam package?

Re: To the debianistas

frank mohr
Amaury Jacquot wrote:

> by the way, that's what I use in the CarPC
>
> http://www.esitcom.org/gallery/carpc-v3
>
> that I used to cover my trip across northern europe :D

just curious:

What kind of motherboard and power supply are you using for the CarPC?

This FlashCard adapter looks like beeing plugged directly to the board
(the ones i got need a cable connection)

Frank

Re: Re: To the debianistas

Raphael Jacquot-2
Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> We need a debian package of the gpxlogger program.  I would prefer to
> get it included into the gpsd package instead of having it as a
> separate program, as this would increase the user base and reduce the
> dependency requirements.  Amaury, what do you say?  Interested in
> pushing it into the gpsd upsteam package?

sure, I'll let you fight it with ESR :D

Re: To the debianistas

Raphael Jacquot-2
Frank Mohr wrote:

> Amaury Jacquot wrote:
>
>>by the way, that's what I use in the CarPC
>>
>>http://www.esitcom.org/gallery/carpc-v3
>>
>>that I used to cover my trip across northern europe :D
>

> just curious:
>
> What kind of motherboard and power supply are you using for the CarPC?
>
> This FlashCard adapter looks like beeing plugged directly to the board
> (the ones i got need a cable connection)
>
> Frank

This is a VIA EPIA MII 12000, which features a PCMCIA & Compact flash
adapter, that is viewed as a PCMCIA adapter

mount /dev/hde1 and you're all set :D

Re: To the debianistas

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Amaury Jacquot]
> sure, I'll let you fight it with ESR :D

I'm all game. :)

I do not expect much resistance except for the configure tests. :)

Re: Re: To the debianistas

stevec-4
* @ 06/07/05 09:43:51 AM [hidden email] wrote:
>  - Use gpsd and gpxlogger, and do some log rotation based on timespan
>    or file length.
>
>  - Upload using http and fall back to email.  This work on more
>    networks than the email solution.

Sounds good.

> gpsd these days are completely automatic.  It detects gps device
> automatically.

Even better!

> Should be doable.  I've already started on scripts to do this, but
> never found time to complete it.  Should we make a new directory in
> subversion?  osm-autologger, perhaps?

Please do.

> How should we do it?  Place the machine online and do hacking on it,
> or just share files using subversion?  I haven't got a gpsd-enabled
> gps these days, as my last one is broken, and the new Garmin one
> require a kernel module to function with gpsd (not present on my
> system yet).  But I do have a few draft scripts.

I can place the laptop on the net and give people root to it, but the
problem is testing unplugging the gps and plugging in the wifi for
people remotely working on it to test it works.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

Re: To the debianistas

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Steve Coast]
>> Should be doable.  I've already started on scripts to do this, but
>> never found time to complete it.  Should we make a new directory in
>> subversion?  osm-autologger, perhaps?
>
> Please do.

OK.  osm-autologger created, and populated with a package framework
and a script sketch.

> I can place the laptop on the net and give people root to it, but
> the problem is testing unplugging the gps and plugging in the wifi
> for people remotely working on it to test it works.

You can start by trying to get the latests debina/sarge gpsd working
with the gps.  Is this working as it should with hotplug?

I'll wait for gpxlogger to make it into gpsd before I start testing,
but work on the script in the mean time.

Re: Re: To the debianistas

stevec-4
> OK.  osm-autologger created, and populated with a package framework
> and a script sketch.

Cool.

> You can start by trying to get the latests debina/sarge gpsd working
> with the gps.  Is this working as it should with hotplug?

No, but it probably isn't super hard. I've got requests to use the
machine for logging this and next week, I'll see what I can do with
another old laptop I have here.