Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Dan S
Hi

Related to the idea of solar panel mapping, I've had a request for
info about what sort of software tools might help support this work.
We might be using some of the familiar tools (e.g. streetcomplete,
openinframap, ... even tasking manager?).

It'd be useful to have something like
completeness-by-postcode-district. Unlike Robert's postbox tools, we
don't have any official ID numbers for the items-to-map, we just have
some official stats (to be taken with a pinch of salt) about how many
are in each postcode district - but still, that could be a start.

I'd also be interested in some tool that predicts where to look, which
might be based on analysing imagery, but perhaps more realistically
based on some mix of heuristics and official data.

Any thoughts?

Best
Dan

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Jez Nicholson
Obviously we are talking about home/small-scale solar here. It could get quite involved, I'm sure that people are running whole businesses trying to analyse satellite imagery for this. Need to keep it simple and practical for this project, unless people have lots of time and energy to spare.

An analysis (or link to an analysis) of the official stats could be useful. Exactly how did they make their estimates?

Another idea: councils are making an effort to put panels on their properties. Could we FOI request them? or maybe someone has already done so.

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 8:59 AM Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

sk53.osm
A few thoughts:
  1. The technologies used by OpenSolarMap by Christian Quest and others Etalab.could be applied to OS OpenLocal buildings with a suitable training set. The original French data used high quality imagery classified by cloud sourcing as to roof orientation (flat, E-W or N-S) and then applied this to the rest of France.
  2. The available data on installations is via the FIT scheme itself, but is only broken down by postcode district which is really too large for basic searching. A breakdown by postcode sector would be much more helpful & not likely to infringe any privacy aspects. I put a list of the top 25 districts on the wiki.
  3. Additional information which could be used to identify candidates are: road orientation (E-W being best); housing age (available for most but not all MSOAs IIRC) with Victorian & pre WWI semis & detached houses being poor candidates, 30s & 70s council house terraces good ones; social housing (I have shape files for England based on NROSH data) as many HAs and at-length council housing arms have been very active in installing solar.
  4. I canvassed social housing experts on twitter for likely sites, again skimpily listed on the wiki.
  5. The new DG Vivid layers, at least near me, are much more recent and better for seeing rooftop solar installations.
  6. Scanning an area you know for rooftop solar installations is not too arduous, and could be done more systematically for smaller areas over the course of the quarter. I think Colm suggested mapping rooftop installations as nodes & I support this (at least in first instance). The huge benefit is that it often highlights other things which may be out-of-date or obviously in need of a survey, so it can fit well with 'local patch' mapping.
  7. I hope to soon blog about my analysis of Nottingham solar in terms of these external parameters (FIT installations, housing age, road orientation, social housing etc.).
  8. For ground solar, moisture index on Sentinel imagery can be useful to suggest candidates. We now also have access to a cloud free composite of 2018 Sentinel in OSM editors.
Regards,

Jerry

On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 10:04, Jez Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mateusz Konieczny-3

23 May 2019, 09:57 by [hidden email]:
streetcomplete
There was one attempt[1] but it was poorly fitting StreetComplete design.

To fit StreetComplete it must be

- refining existing objects, not adding new ones
- be solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question

[1] https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=sort%3Aupdated-desc+solar+

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Russ Garrett
On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 11:22, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
> To fit StreetComplete it must be
>
> - refining existing objects, not adding new ones
> - be solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question

One option for this is turning generator=solar nodes into areas.

--
Russ Garrett

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Mateusz Konieczny-3

23 May 2019, 13:37 by [hidden email]:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 11:22, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
To fit StreetComplete it must be

- refining existing objects, not adding new ones
- be solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question

One option for this is turning generator=solar nodes into areas.
Fails "solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question",
it requires drawing a geometry.

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

sk53.osm
For solar panels as nodes I have been adding two things which could fulfil these criteria:
  • A count of solar panel modules (the roughly 1.5 by 1 m individual panels) with generator:solar:modules.
  • Orientation (as generator:orientation) which can be in degrees or one of the 16 points of the compass.
The former is probably the most useful, as it is a good proxy for optimum power capacity (roughly 320-370 W per module) and thus could be used immediately in things like OpenInfraMap. Orientation is just one factor in determining likely actual capacity which would be quite complex. It is useful when an installation spreads over more than one part of the roof.

Jerry

On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 13:07, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

23 May 2019, 13:37 by [hidden email]:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 at 11:22, Mateusz Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:
To fit StreetComplete it must be

- refining existing objects, not adding new ones
- be solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question

One option for this is turning generator=solar nodes into areas.
Fails "solvable by any normal human by answering a simple question",
it requires drawing a geometry.

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Rob Nickerson
> we don't have any official ID numbers for the items-to-map

I'm almost certain I have pointed it out here already, but in case not: any solar PV installation which is receiving a subsidy will be registered and will therefore have an ID. Larger installations are installed in the Renewable Obligations register. Smaller sites are in the Feed In Tariff register.

The FiT register can be downloaded (in 3 parts) from:

The RO register can be obtained from the following site. You need to click "view public reports", then "Accredited Stations", Next set the page size to 25 and view the report. Once loaded you can then click the export drop down (the save icon/floppy disk) and export the full register to a CSV.

P.S. this is good for almost all sites built up to now. Going forward then other sources will need to be found* as the subsidy schemes have come to an end.

* there are none.

Best regards,
Rob

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Dan S
Thanks Rob - we're using the FiT register already, but please note
that it doesn't disclose any official IDs (for privacy reasons, I
presume) so there's no "primary key", no definitive way to join the
dots e.g. across different versions of the FiT data. The REPD has a
primary key but it only covers larger installations. Most
installations, even if we can find metadata for them, we can't find an
official ID, AFAIK?

Dan

Op do 23 mei 2019 om 23:03 schreef Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]>:

> > we don't have any official ID numbers for the items-to-map
>
> I'm almost certain I have pointed it out here already, but in case not: any solar PV installation which is receiving a subsidy will be registered and will therefore have an ID. Larger installations are installed in the Renewable Obligations register. Smaller sites are in the Feed In Tariff register.
>
> The FiT register can be downloaded (in 3 parts) from:
> https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/feed-tariff-installation-report-31-march-2019
>
> The RO register can be obtained from the following site. You need to click "view public reports", then "Accredited Stations", Next set the page size to 25 and view the report. Once loaded you can then click the export drop down (the save icon/floppy disk) and export the full register to a CSV.
> https://www.renewablesandchp.ofgem.gov.uk/
>
> P.S. this is good for almost all sites built up to now. Going forward then other sources will need to be found* as the subsidy schemes have come to an end.
>
> * there are none.
>
> Best regards,
> Rob

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Gregory Williams-2
I note that the FiT register data does have the LLSOA for each entry. So I think that could be used as a means of measuring completeness in a more granular manner than local authority or the first half of the postcode. The OSM data can also be determined per LLSOA. Both the number of installations and the total generating capacity could be used. It'd never be perfect, but would help to identify areas to survey on the ground.

Gregory

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
On May 23 2019, at 11:57 pm, Dan S <danstowell+[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

My bad. No IDs in the recent fit reports, but they used to publish them. The September 2016 files show the fit ID.

Best,
Rob

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Dan S

Following up on this thread about tools to support solar mapping -
just to say that thanks to Sylwia Mielnicka there's a map of
completeness-per-postcode-district:
https://bl.ocks.org/SylwiaOliwia2/cf0d679e81a7c8bfee8888189ec364bb
I think this is going to get set up to run daily updates or similar.
Discussion forum:
<http://openclimatefix.discourse.group/t/plot-solar-panels-not-added-to-osm-yet/56/3>

There's also a chance that we can get this at higher granularity (for
England and Wales) at least, by using LSOAs rather than postcode
districts. Another person has said they'll have a go at merging the
two granularities.

Best
Dan

Op do 23 mei 2019 om 08:57 schreef Dan S <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> Related to the idea of solar panel mapping, I've had a request for
> info about what sort of software tools might help support this work.
> We might be using some of the familiar tools (e.g. streetcomplete,
> openinframap, ... even tasking manager?).
>
> It'd be useful to have something like
> completeness-by-postcode-district. Unlike Robert's postbox tools, we
> don't have any official ID numbers for the items-to-map, we just have
> some official stats (to be taken with a pinch of salt) about how many
> are in each postcode district - but still, that could be a start.
>
> I'd also be interested in some tool that predicts where to look, which
> might be based on analysing imagery, but perhaps more realistically
> based on some mix of heuristics and official data.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Best
> Dan

Re: Tools to support solar panel mapping?

Gregory Williams-2
All,

I've also been working on a comparison tool for OSM solar mapping, as compared with the FiT register. I've just placed an initial version here:

My version compares at LLSOA level and then aggregates them up to their local authorities and the whole country. It's been pretty much inspired by Robert Whittaker and Greg RS's ever-useful comparison tools. It's functional, but still needs some polish. Known issues include:

  • Currently updated manually. I currently hope to update every few days, and eventually daily;
  • The tool differentiates between solar plants and generators, and avoids counting individual generators in a plant. Currently, though, it counts plants towards completeness, even though it's likely that these are solar farms in excess of the size used in the FiT register;
  • Only the number of installations is used for comparison at present, not the electricity output;
  • There are only maps on the local authority pages at the moment, not on the country summary page.

I aim to add some more functionality to the site over the next few days and weeks.

Regards,

Gregory

Sent from Mailspring, the best free email app for work
Hi all,

Op do 23 mei 2019 om 08:57 schreef Dan S <danstowell+[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi Gregory,

I suspect this does not currently take account of roof-top solar power mapped as nodes. My last tally for Nottingham is a total of 4,385 solar PV generators (3,760 mapped as nodes, 625 as ways), compared with your total of 621. I added solar panels on 3 houses on Saturday (one with 2 .generators because they face in different directions). It would be massively helpful if nodes could be added.

In general it is much, much easier to map roof top solar as nodes, perhaps with an estimate of the number of modules in the panel(currently we use generator:solar:modules for this). Once one has one's eye in for a particular area and sets of imagery it's best to capture the data as quickly as possible. Mapping panels as areas is more complex, for relatively small gain. I did this for a single area initially, and now tend to do it in two cases: a) larger panels on schools, commercial buildings etc; and b) newly observed panels noticed as part of general surveying or just casually. The choice of which to do will depend on panel density in a neighbourhood, and whether buildings are already mapped.

Regards,

Jerry

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 21:20, Gregory Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

On Jun 10 2019, at 8:37 pm, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

Thanks Jerry. I've spotted the bug and am regenerating the output now.

On Jun 24 2019, at 3:28 pm, SK53 <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from Mailspring
[...]

A few other things:
  • In practice we have relatively little mapped, so identifying 'hot-spot' LSOAs quickly would be very useful. I just had a browse around and found a few with around 50 FIT installations around the village of Selston (Ashfield District). I haven't got them all, but am pleased to have added 125 quickly.  I still only managed to find 32 in one LSOA when the fit installation count is 51: I suspect this is related to imagery date, rather than me missing obvious ones. The 50 installation threshold is a pretty high percentage of properties and represents good bang for buck.
  • For the same reason sortable listings would be nice (also true on Robert's various pages).
  • Cornwall has a large number (17k+), finding hotspots in a big county is very useful.
  • From a QA viewpoint a count of location=roof or generator:location=roof might be useful as well. All the FIT installs are likely to be of this type.
Jerry

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 19:41, Gregory Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I was thinking the same thing on the "hot-spots" functionality the other day. I've just added that now. There's now a layer chooser, allowing choice between "Comparison" (as before) and "FiT", which colours between the least and most installations according to the FiT register in that local authority.

I'll try to address the other points as I get time -- all good points.

Updated version should appear online over the next few minutes.