Tracking vehicle movements

Jorieke Vyncke
Hello all,

Forwarding you a question from Last, our MSF GIS officer in Zimbabwe:

"I wanted to find out if there is an easy app that we can use to track movement of vehicles throughout an area. We are working with a partner whom we provide fuel, so we would like to verify the allocations we give them as well as have an accurate budget. Currently for our cars we have a tracking app installed on the vehicles which is paid for but it is costly so it won't be sustainable to implement for this other partner. So possibly what I'm looking for is something which the driver can log when he/she commences his trip and ends it which can be shared with us either in real-time or near-real time."

Somebody has ideas for him?

Best regards,

Jorieke

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

Bjoern Hassler
Hi Jorieke,

The best option (from what you've described) that I can think of would be https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mendhak.gpslogger. I can record tracks, and then upload them e.g. to dropbox. It's possible to prefix the track names with device numbers, so you know which track is from which vehicle.

The only issue may be that when I last looked, it required a bit of configuration. I think there are config files that you can share, but then they have to be dropped into the right location. Overall, it's a really flexible and reliable tool.

(OSMAnd and to an extent Maps.Me can record tracks. OSMAnd can also ping a server with coordinates, which would give you live tracking, but that may not work well if you have poor connectivity, but I think GPS logger would be better.)

It'll be important to ensure that the drivers are aware of the logging, and to get their consent.
Bjoern

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:56, Paul Uithol <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Blake Girardot
On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 8:34 AM Bjoern Hassler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jorieke,
>
> The best option (from what you've described) that I can think of would be https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mendhak.gpslogger. I can record tracks, and then upload them e.g. to dropbox. It's possible to prefix the track names with device numbers, so you know which track is from which vehicle.

This was going to be my suggestion as well GPSLogger for Android, it
can auto start and auto roll over track recording files every day.

If they could just better automate the upload of tracks so it would
store and forward when wifi reached, it would be perfect.

Quite configurable to make sure it has minimum battery impact (but gps
always has some battery impact)

Cheers,
Blake

Blake Girardot
skype: jblakegirardot

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

Brent Fraser
Hi Jorieke,

   I've used GPS Tracker (https://www.websmithing.com/gps-tracker/ and
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.websmithing.gpstracker),
an Open Source application with some server side code.  The client will run
on Android, iOS and can listen to cheap GPS devices attached to the car's
ODBII port.

 Best Regards,
 Brent Fraser

> Forwarding you a question from Last, our MSF GIS officer in Zimbabwe:
>
> "I wanted to find out if there is an easy app that we can use to track
> movement of vehicles throughout an area. We are working with a partner
whom
> we provide fuel, so we would like to verify the allocations we give them
as
> well as have an accurate budget. Currently for our cars we have a
tracking
> app installed on the vehicles which is paid for but it is costly so it
> won't be sustainable to implement for this other partner. So possibly
what
> I'm looking for is something which the driver can log when he/she
commences
> his trip and ends it which can be shared with us either in real-time or
> near-real time."
>
> Somebody has ideas for him?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Jorieke

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

pierzen
Hi Jorieke

There are small vehicule gps logger, some very precise reading various satellite networks. I tried a Columbus. It did work very well but could not replace the battery.

Search simply for vehicule gps logger. This Ebay link show various models, some with an USB connection and / or sim card.

Pierre

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

Jorieke Vyncke
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!
I suppose easy to use is core, so options with manually copying traces is probably not the best solution.
However I will forward all your suggestions to Last, and will leave it up to him to decide what is the best option for them on the ground!

If there are more ideas, they still welcome :)
Thanks a lot!

Jorieke

Op wo 9 jan. 2019 om 14:26 schreef Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>:
Hi Jorieke

There are small vehicule gps logger, some very precise reading various satellite networks. I tried a Columbus. It did work very well but could not replace the battery.

Search simply for vehicule gps logger. This Ebay link show various models, some with an USB connection and / or sim card.

Pierre

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

Rupert Allan-4
Hi Jorieke,

Ivan has an sms-based tracker he has been developing. Advantage is that, whilst using a gps-enabled phone, it can send without data network. It is developed specifically for fleet.
We in Uganda track with OSMAnd, which gives analytics (slope, altitude, speed) in the field, but it consumes battery, so needs a power feed really (we use the motorbike battery).
 We have considered using OSM Tracker, but want to keep with simplicity by minimising apps used, so we haven't tried it.
Above seem like some good options, too, although open source is always preferred, of course! Check Ivan's thoughts.

Best,

Rupert

Sent on the move...
Rupert Allan,
Country Manager,
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team, Uganda
+256777656999
Skype: Reuben Molotov

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019, 6:51 PM Jorieke Vyncke <[hidden email] wrote:
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!
I suppose easy to use is core, so options with manually copying traces is probably not the best solution.
However I will forward all your suggestions to Last, and will leave it up to him to decide what is the best option for them on the ground!

If there are more ideas, they still welcome :)
Thanks a lot!

Jorieke

Op wo 9 jan. 2019 om 14:26 schreef Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>:
Hi Jorieke

There are small vehicule gps logger, some very precise reading various satellite networks. I tried a Columbus. It did work very well but could not replace the battery.

Search simply for vehicule gps logger. This Ebay link show various models, some with an USB connection and / or sim card.

Pierre

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

john whelan-2
In Windows you can use a script to copy the files, compress them and send them.

Android should have something equivalent.  If not Microsoft Visual Studio 2017 can build something that will run on android.

We seem to be forever seeing requests from students to write software for OSM and HOT as a project.

This one is a natural.

Enabling GPS tracking is heavy on a battery life but you can buy power packs quite cheaply to extend the life.  I wouldn't connect it to the car battery, the voltage fluctuates to much and it will shorten the smartphone life down.

So basically you want a program that will grab the GPS tracks every x minutes and compress them.  Technically zip is fine but the problem with zips is they can carry malware so use something else and gmail won't accept them anyway.

Then it should just email these back to the server.  There should be an API to allow the software to write to something like Gmail on the smartphone.

When gmail finds a connection it will send the messages home.  No fingers needed other than to connect to Wifi for gmail.  This one is the simplest.

https://developers.google.com/gmail/api/guides/sending has got the basics.

The other way is to use the signal that the phone uses to connect to the mast.  There are 140 / 160 characters at the end of the packet which are unused.  This is the basis of SMS text messaging.  In Europe, North America phone plans often come with unlimited SMS text messaging, Africa maybe different.  The advantage is you can collect the data in real time.  The disadvantage is the store and forward method of email is a bit more robust.

There are SMS APIs that will run on a smartphone but my impression is these vary according to the phone so an SMS based solution that ran on any phone might be more difficult to build but someone who knows more about SMS might be in a better position to sort something out.

Cheerio John

Jorieke Vyncke wrote on 2019-01-09 10:48 AM:
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions!
I suppose easy to use is core, so options with manually copying traces is probably not the best solution.
However I will forward all your suggestions to Last, and will leave it up to him to decide what is the best option for them on the ground!

If there are more ideas, they still welcome :)
Thanks a lot!

Jorieke

Op wo 9 jan. 2019 om 14:26 schreef Pierre Béland <[hidden email]>:
Hi Jorieke

There are small vehicule gps logger, some very precise reading various satellite networks. I tried a Columbus. It did work very well but could not replace the battery.

Search simply for vehicule gps logger. This Ebay link show various models, some with an USB connection and / or sim card.

Pierre

Sent from Postbox

Re: Tracking vehicle movements

Laurent Savaëte

Hey Jorieke,

What your question describes sounds like fleet management. I just found https://www.traccar.org/ which looks pretty well maintained (88 contributors on github, latest code update only a few hours ago), is open-source and seems to provide exactly what you're after, without having to reinvent the wheel.

Hope this helps,

Laurent

On 09/01/2019 19:22, John Whelan wrote:
[...]

Donal Hunt
I would echo Laurent's words. Deploy the solution that you need and figure out the funding issues. Doing something like SMS-based reporting or emailing data around the place will just move the cost burden elsewhere, be more brittle and probably not get you what you want at the end of the day.

The initial problem statement seems to focus on how to verify the trust that is being put in the partner undertaking the work. There are many many ways to do that and technology is not always the answer. It would be interesting to understand what other options have been identified and why GPS-tracking has been decided on as the most effective means of delivering the end result. If the GPS data being collected is also making it's way back into the OSM ecosystem, that value should not be discounted.

Kind regards

Donal

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 21:19, Laurent Savaete <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi all,

@Ivan that sounds interesting! Could you tell me more?
The other suggestions are forwarded, thank you again. Last is looking at them and will feedback soon!
He was already impressed what you collected: "Wow... thanks @Jorieke! Let me look into the feedback" was his reaction this morning.

And to Donal his points: I'm not sure about the context in Zimbabwe, but from my point of view using a GPS tracking system is indeed on the one hand a system that serves as control mechanism for drivers, but on the other hand it also serves as planning and budgeting tool, and most importantly also for security purposes for our people in the car. This latest makes it also difficult to just share the GPS traces that our teams take. It is a way the security of our staff can be damaged, so not so straightforward.

All the best,

Jorieke

Op do 10 jan. 2019 om 10:10 schreef Donal Hunt <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Ivan Gayton
Hi Jorieke,

My friend Ping (in CC) and I have been working on a very lightweight application for vehicle tracking, specifically intended to work with SMS only (no Internet required—it sends the positions with a formatted SMS message on a particular schedule).

Code here: https://github.com/zestyping/fleetreporter and https://github.com/zestyping/fleetreceiver. No server needed; the system simply relies upon a central mobile device to receive all of the rover positions.

This is emphatically NOT for everyone, or intended to be a replacement for stuff like traccar or gpslogger; it's specifically targeted at a small, relatively remote project with a few cars that they want to track, where they don't have much Internet access but there's a bit of mobile phone (SMS) coverage.

We've piloted it in the Central African Republic, where we've had issues with the expense of SMS messages. In CAR, the mobile networks have terribly unreliable SMS packages (you can buy a "forfait" of 100 SMS messages for a small fee, but the "forfait" often doesn't work and depletes the main balance of the phone very rapidly). This may be less of a problem in other places.

Bottom line: if the project that needs a solution has the following characteristics:

- Poor mobile internet coverage but some SMS coverage (and SMS pricing is reasonable and functional)
- Doesn't want to set up a server, just receive positions on a local device,

They should have a look at what we've done. Otherwise definitely look at the GPSLogger, Traccar, or dedicated logger device options!

Onward,
Ivan

Ivan Buendía Gayton
Country Manager, Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team (hotosm.org)
Tanzania
+255 76 939 7811 (phone and WhatsApp)

Skype: sardo.numpsi
Twitter: @ivangayton