Trackpoints with no timestamps

Tim Waugh
Hi,

I'm trying to upload a GPS trace from my Garmin eTrex series unit, but
gpsbabel writes out GPX files like this:

<gpx ...>
<time>2005-11-10T18:16:31Z</time>
<trk>
  <name>...</name>
<trkseg>
<trkpt lat="51.241415469" lon="-0.595498430">
  <ele>26.573608</ele>
</trkpt>
<trkpt ...>
</trkpt>
</trkseg>
</trk>
</gpx>

i.e. with no <time> tags for trkpt nodes.  I read in the FAQ that this
is no good for OSM, and that timestamps are needed.  Indeed, when I
upload a GPX file as-is only 1 point is seen.

What should I do to get timestamps for each trackpoint?

Tim.
*/

Re: Trackpoints with no timestamps

Simon Hewison
Tim Waugh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to upload a GPS trace from my Garmin eTrex series unit, but
> gpsbabel writes out GPX files like this:

> i.e. with no <time> tags for trkpt nodes.  I read in the FAQ that this
> is no good for OSM, and that timestamps are needed.  Indeed, when I
> upload a GPX file as-is only 1 point is seen.
>
> What should I do to get timestamps for each trackpoint?

That's most odd, my etrex (the basic yellow model) records timestamps
for trackpoints, and gpsbabel spits it out happily with timestamps for
the individual points.

my gpsbabel command line is like:

gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f com2 -o gpx -F tracklog23.gpx

--
Simon Hewison

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 01:50:22PM +0000, Simon Hewison wrote:

> That's most odd, my etrex (the basic yellow model) records timestamps
> for trackpoints, and gpsbabel spits it out happily with timestamps for
> the individual points.
>
> my gpsbabel command line is like:
>
> gpsbabel -t -i garmin -f com2 -o gpx -F tracklog23.gpx

This is a Vista C, so perhaps it's to do with that.  Alternatively,
perhaps it's due to it being over a USB connection.  My command line
is exactly the same but with /dev/ttyUSB1 instead of com2 (I'm using
Linux).

I'll have to experiment more.

Tim.
*/

Re: Trackpoints with no timestamps

Lars Aronsson
Tim Waugh wrote:
> What should I do to get timestamps for each trackpoint?

For one thing, you should *never* use Garmin's "save track"
function.  This compacts the storage within the receiver by
removing the timestamps from individual trackpoints.  Keep the
track log as the "active track" at all times, and download it to
your computer as soon as you can.

--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])

Re: Trackpoints with no timestamps

Richard Fairhurst
On 15 Nov 2005, at 21:50, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> For one thing, you should *never* use Garmin's "save track"
> function.  This compacts the storage within the receiver by
> removing the timestamps from individual trackpoints.

On my yellow eTrex, it also severely 'compresses' the track itself,
removing the majority of trackpoints to produce a simplified and
virtually unusable path.

If anyone knows a firmware hack that reassigns the saved track memory
so it can be used by the main track, I'd love to see it.

Richard

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:50:37PM +0100, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Tim Waugh wrote:
> > What should I do to get timestamps for each trackpoint?
>
> For one thing, you should *never* use Garmin's "save track"
> function.

This turned out to be exactly the problem.  Thanks!

Tim.
*/