Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Jon Pennycook
Returning to this subject, but not necessarily at roundabouts - turn restrictions are still being added even where they don't exist (apparently) - e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93759133 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93750062

Re: Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Andy Townsend
On 10/11/2020 10:55, Jon Pennycook wrote:
> Returning to this subject, but not necessarily at roundabouts - turn
> restrictions are still being added even where they don't exist
> (apparently) - e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93759133
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93759133> and
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93750062>

I've commented on the first of these with a DWG hat on.

The contributor here adding turn restrictions that allegedly don't exist
appears to be from https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/ . They've been active
across several areas of England; it might be worth locals taking a look
at some of the others to check that they match on-the-ground reality.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Philip Barnes
On Tue, 2020-11-10 at 11:31 +0000, Andy Townsend wrote:

> On 10/11/2020 10:55, Jon Pennycook wrote:
> > Returning to this subject, but not necessarily at roundabouts -
> > turn
> > restrictions are still being added even where they don't exist
> > (apparently) - e.g.
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93759133
> > <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93759133> and
> > https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93750062
> > <https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/93750062>
>
> I've commented on the first of these with a DWG hat on.
>
> The contributor here adding turn restrictions that allegedly don't
> exist
> appears to be from https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/ . They've been
> active
> across several areas of England; it might be worth locals taking a
> look
> at some of the others to check that they match on-the-ground reality.

After a quick look at his edits locally he has also been removing ref
tags from roundabouts which seems an odd thing to do.

He has also made this change https://www.osm.org/changeset/90024395

This does not follow the on the ground rule, this section is signed
M42.

Previously discussed and fixed by Andy after a previous sabre mapper
mapper made a similar edit https://www.osm.org/changeset/60806661.

Phil (trigpoint

Re: Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Great Britain mailing list
>After a quick look at his edits locally he has also been removing ref
>tags from roundabouts which seems an odd thing to do.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me - the roundabout is a junction of various roads and I do not consider it to be part of a referenced highway.

I note that the wiki indicates that the ref should be added to roundabouts to allow fluid routing, but this has relatively recently been added (April 2019) and I do not agree. It smacks of tagging for the renderer (in this case a routing engine). It seems bizarre to specify that for naming it should not use the name of a road it connects, but it should use the ref of a road that connects!

Regards,
Mike

Re: Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Great Britain mailing list

Nov 11, 2020, 16:04 by [hidden email]:
>After a quick look at his edits locally he has also been removing ref
>tags from roundabouts which seems an odd thing to do.

This seems perfectly reasonable to me - the roundabout is a junction of various roads and I do not consider it to be part of a referenced highway.

I note that the wiki indicates that the ref should be added to roundabouts to allow fluid routing, but this has relatively recently been added (April 2019) and I do not agree. It smacks of tagging for the renderer (in this case a routing engine). It seems bizarre to specify that for naming it should not use the name of a road it connects, but it should use the ref of a road that connects!
I reworded this recommendation in
"{{Tag|ref}} and {{Tag|int_ref}} tags from those ways should be added to that roundabout if roundabout is also part of that routes."

(in Poland roundabout would be part of route with assigned ref, in UK situation may be different,
I removed part that based in on tagging for router)

Re: Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

Andy Townsend
Following a lack of answers to questions at
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=5229644 (in
lots of cases they've responded, but have not actually answered the
question) with a DWG hat on I've sent them a message that they have to
read before continuing to map at
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks/4214 .

I'd like to know the source used for the comment "You sometimes have to
ignore signage as they are signed with convenient numbers rather than
the real ones"at https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/60806661 .

I suspect the "signage to be ignored" referred to there are the large
blue signs telling drivers "if you want to go to the M6 south, go this
way".  However, I'd expect the information on the 100m markers to be
more useful.  Is anyone aware of a previous changeset based on those, or
photos on e.g. Mapillary that might help?

Best Regards,

Andy