Two cases

Danailov, Ivo
Hello from Norway!
We have two cases, which we hope to solve with Kosmo:

1. Direction of shapes: we got a project where all the elements should be digitized clockwise. Does anyone of the experienced Kosmo-users has any solution on how to do a check of the direction?

2. Generating symbol from line, with rotation value:
Often we need to digitize symbols on lines, showing the line direction (for example when we deliver hydro-objects, we need arrow-symbol showing the direction). Normaly, the lines are with right direction, and my solution until now got so far to getting a point in the middle of each line. The problem that I still have is how to determine the rotation of a single line segment, and transfer it to the point. Any ideas, anyone?

Otherwise I want to express my gratitude to the people who made Kosmo possible. Such a useful piece of software!

Best regards,
Ivo Danailov
Ramboll Mapping
Kristiansand, Norway

Ivo K. Danailov

R: [Kosmo_int] Two cases

Giuseppe Aruta
Hi Ivo,
I try to answer partially to your questions,

1) direction of  shapes - 1.
When I digit a geological map, i first digit an unique polygon which covers all the area to digit, than I use the tool "cut features" to separate that polygon into parts. These parts save the original direction.
On the other hand you can use advance style to set an "asimetric" style to polygons, this makes clear  the original direction of polygon while editing

2) Lines with arrows. On regular style-decoration you have something like this. On the other hand Advanced style alows to set two styles for a line, one on the top of the other. The first would be a line, the second an "external" PNG image representing an arrow. PNG is preferrable bicause of the trasparency.
 In this way you don't have to create a second layer of point

If you need I wiull write more in detail about

Regards

Giuseppe

SV: [Kosmo_int] Two cases

Danailov, Ivo
Hi Giuseppe,
and thank you for the answer!

1)Actually, my idea was to edit LIDAR and photogrammetric collected data (plotted in stereo). The direction problem was (and still is) that half part of the elements are digitized clockwise, and the rest - counterclockwise. So I was searching for a way to change the directions of all the elements - to clockwise. The symbology was not actual in this case: even though I can see the digitizing direction by adding an arrow or something to the line, when there are 40 000 elements to be checked, it's impossible.

2)Talking about lines with arrows, I probably gave wrong expression of the case. The symbology in Kosmo is only a graphical element, giving no information in other GIS software. Our "mission impossible" with the arrows is to get a point with rotation, which can be expressed in every GIS SW package (by chosing symbol, and telling the software to rotate by attribute).

Sextante has some geographical attribute-functions which find the rotation of the lines, but I can't figure it out. It's definitely neither degrees nor gradians.

If you have any other interesting idea, just share it with me :)

Thanks again,

Ivo

winmail.dat (6K) Download Attachment

Re: SV: [Kosmo_int] Two cases

Sergio Baños Calvo
Good night, Ivo.

1) If you right-click a layer in the tree, you can test is the layer is
correct using the "Validate Selected Layers" tool. One of the options
that can be checked is the polygon orientation. In this case the tool
check if the polygon has been digitized CCW for its exterior ring a CW
for each of its holes. With this tool you could find which polygons have
been digitized correctly (the tool would mark those that are
"incorrect"). In order to change all of them to CW, currently there is
no tool available for that functionality, although making a plugin to
perform that task should be ready in a pair of hours or less. Let me see
if tomorrow I have some time to write it at the afternoon.

2) Similar to the other commented point, there isn't also a tool to
perform this task, but it could be done in a pair of hours too. It could
loop for each line segment and create a point in a temporal layer
assigning the angle for the line segment.

Regards,

Danailov, Ivo escribió:

> Hi Giuseppe,
> and thank you for the answer!
>
> 1)Actually, my idea was to edit LIDAR and photogrammetric collected data (plotted in stereo). The direction problem was (and still is) that half part of the elements are digitized clockwise, and the rest - counterclockwise. So I was searching for a way to change the directions of all the elements - to clockwise. The symbology was not actual in this case: even though I can see the digitizing direction by adding an arrow or something to the line, when there are 40 000 elements to be checked, it's impossible.
>
> 2)Talking about lines with arrows, I probably gave wrong expression of the case. The symbology in Kosmo is only a graphical element, giving no information in other GIS software. Our "mission impossible" with the arrows is to get a point with rotation, which can be expressed in every GIS SW package (by chosing symbol, and telling the software to rotate by attribute).
>
> Sextante has some geographical attribute-functions which find the rotation of the lines, but I can't figure it out. It's definitely neither degrees nor gradians.
>

> If you have any other interesting idea, just share it with me :)
>

> Thanks again,
>
> Ivo

Sergio Baños Calvo

Jefe de desarrollos
Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
Tlfno. móvil: 685005960
Tlfno. fijo: (+34) 954788876

E-mail: [hidden email]

RE: SV: [Kosmo_int] Two cases

Danailov, Ivo
Hi Sergio (and everybody else).
For the first question : I think I found the solution, so I'm sharing it here : both to get some feedback if I'm wrong, and to help anyone else who will face such problem in future projects.

Just to refresh the topic: it's about turning all the polygon digitizing directions in the same direction (CW / CCW).

My solution:
I opened the polygons in Kosmo, then used the sextante plug-in. I found out that when we use "tools for polygon layers" > "geometric properties of polygons", Sextante rotates all the polygons to be clockwise. I guess it does so due to the area of the polygons : I'm not sure about the method they use, but if they use the coordinates for calculating the area of the polygon, then when the polygon is digitized counterclockwise, the area is negative.
For my own problem - Voila! Now I got all the elements in clockwise direction, and I can turn them in CCW with "Change direction"

---

About the second case: My idea was to generate a point on each hmm... let me see... 50m on the lines. I'm not sure if I can do this in Kosmo, but there are other SW that can do that. Then split the lines to single segments, and find the rotation of each segment. And at the end - duplicate the attribute from the segment to the snapped point.

Sergio: it will be very nice if you have time to make some add-ons for Kosmo, for example "find rotation of a line". It's a simple 'arctan'-function, but I was not able to find out how to define coordinates in Kosmo's value calculator.

Good night,
Yet another GIS-maniac who works in the middle of the night.

Danailov, Ivo escribió:

> Hi Giuseppe,
> and thank you for the answer!
>
> 1)Actually, my idea was to edit LIDAR and photogrammetric collected data (plotted in stereo). The direction problem was (and still is) that half part of the elements are digitized clockwise, and the rest - counterclockwise. So I was searching for a way to change the directions of all the elements - to clockwise. The symbology was not actual in this case: even though I can see the digitizing direction by adding an arrow or something to the line, when there are 40 000 elements to be checked, it's impossible.
>
> 2)Talking about lines with arrows, I probably gave wrong expression of the case. The symbology in Kosmo is only a graphical element, giving no information in other GIS software. Our "mission impossible" with the arrows is to get a point with rotation, which can be expressed in every GIS SW package (by chosing symbol, and telling the software to rotate by attribute).
>
> Sextante has some geographical attribute-functions which find the rotation of the lines, but I can't figure it out. It's definitely neither degrees nor gradians.
>

> If you have any other interesting idea, just share it with me :)
>

> Thanks again,
>
> Ivo

Antonio Muñoz-3
Hi Ivo.
The night is just starting :)

I am almost sure about this, but better you can test it with your data:

when Kosmo saves a shapefile, it "always" (almost sure) do it in
clockwise direction, so you only need open your data in Kosmo and save
it to a new shapefile.

Best regards

Antonio Muñoz Rastrero
Gerente de SAIG  // SAIG General Manager
Tlf: +34 954788876 // +34 652803042

Danailov, Ivo escribió:

> Hi Sergio (and everybody else).
> For the first question : I think I found the solution, so I'm sharing it here : both to get some feedback if I'm wrong, and to help anyone else who will face such problem in future projects.
>
> Just to refresh the topic: it's about turning all the polygon digitizing directions in the same direction (CW / CCW).
>
> My solution:
> I opened the polygons in Kosmo, then used the sextante plug-in. I found out that when we use "tools for polygon layers" > "geometric properties of polygons", Sextante rotates all the polygons to be clockwise. I guess it does so due to the area of the polygons : I'm not sure about the method they use, but if they use the coordinates for calculating the area of the polygon, then when the polygon is digitized counterclockwise, the area is negative.
> For my own problem - Voila! Now I got all the elements in clockwise direction, and I can turn them in CCW with "Change direction"
>
> ---
>
> About the second case: My idea was to generate a point on each hmm... let me see... 50m on the lines. I'm not sure if I can do this in Kosmo, but there are other SW that can do that. Then split the lines to single segments, and find the rotation of each segment. And at the end - duplicate the attribute from the segment to the snapped point.
>
> Sergio: it will be very nice if you have time to make some add-ons for Kosmo, for example "find rotation of a line". It's a simple 'arctan'-function, but I was not able to find out how to define coordinates in Kosmo's value calculator.
>

> Good night,
> Yet another GIS-maniac who works in the middle of the night.

Re: SV: [Kosmo_int] Two cases

Sergio Baños Calvo
Good morning Ivo.

I did a mistake in my answer to the first point: the "Validate selected
layers" checks that the *polygon boundary* is *CW* and the *holes* are
*CCW. *So if you check the layers you're digitizing it would point you
those polygons that are digitized in a wrong way.

As Antonio mentioned in its mail, when Kosmo saves a layer into a
shapefile the geometries are stored in the right way automatically (if
any polygon is digitized CCW, it's reversed automatically ;) )

Regards,

Antonio Muñoz escribió:

> Hi Ivo.
> The night is just starting :)
>
> I am almost sure about this, but better you can test it with your data:
>
> when Kosmo saves a shapefile, it "always" (almost sure) do it in
> clockwise direction, so you only need open your data in Kosmo and save
> it to a new shapefile.
>
> Best regards
>
> Antonio Muñoz Rastrero
> Gerente de SAIG  // SAIG General Manager
> Tlf: +34 954788876 // +34 652803042
>

> Danailov, Ivo escribió:
>> Hi Sergio (and everybody else).
>> For the first question : I think I found the solution, so I'm sharing
>> it here : both to get some feedback if I'm wrong, and to help anyone
>> else who will face such problem in future projects.
>>
>> Just to refresh the topic: it's about turning all the polygon
>> digitizing directions in the same direction (CW / CCW).
>>
>> My solution:
>> I opened the polygons in Kosmo, then used the sextante plug-in. I
>> found out that when we use "tools for polygon layers" > "geometric
>> properties of polygons", Sextante rotates all the polygons to be
>> clockwise. I guess it does so due to the area of the polygons : I'm
>> not sure about the method they use, but if they use the coordinates
>> for calculating the area of the polygon, then when the polygon is
>> digitized counterclockwise, the area is negative. For my own problem
>> - Voila! Now I got all the elements in clockwise direction, and I can
>> turn them in CCW with "Change direction"
>>
>> ---
>>
>> About the second case: My idea was to generate a point on each hmm...
>> let me see... 50m on the lines. I'm not sure if I can do this in
>> Kosmo, but there are other SW that can do that. Then split the lines
>> to single segments, and find the rotation of each segment. And at the
>> end - duplicate the attribute from the segment to the snapped point.
>>
>> Sergio: it will be very nice if you have time to make some add-ons
>> for Kosmo, for example "find rotation of a line". It's a simple
>> 'arctan'-function, but I was not able to find out how to define
>> coordinates in Kosmo's value calculator.
>>

>> Good night,
>> Yet another GIS-maniac who works in the middle of the night.

Hi all,
I checked that if you do a buffer with 0.0 value to your polygon layer, it creates a new layer with all polygon rotated to the same direction There a re many "roads to Rome" :-)

Giuseppe

E-mail: sbc@...