Types of cranes?

Joseph Eisenberg
There are a number of types of cranes subtagged with crane:type=
The most common are

crane:type=portal_crane 900
crane:type=Container_crane 474
crane:type=Gantry_crane 282
crane:type=Travellift=231

Also, the wiki page mention:
floor-mounted_crane
travel_lift

Mobile or temporary construction cranes are not supposed to be mapped.

Tomasz-W has kindly provided some icons so that openstreetmap-carto can start rendering man_made=crane.

Which of these tags describe truelyndifferent types of cranes? The Wikipedia page about gantry cranes suggests that portal crane is a synonym, and that ship-to-shore container cranes are also usually gantry/portal cranes.

Is anyone an expert or enthusiast on this subject?

Re: Types of cranes?

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 10:14, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mobile or temporary construction cranes are not supposed to be mapped.

When we see cranes on high-rise construction sites eg https://goo.gl/images/FWTDo1, they can be in place, moving higher up the building as work progresses, for a year or 2.

Couldn't they be mapped, perhaps with a Fix Me, to remove the crane tag when work is completed? (Although, of course, at that stage, the construction tag should be replaced by the appropriate building= tag)

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Types of cranes?

Mateusz Konieczny-3
28. Oct 2018 03:34 by [hidden email]:

Couldn't they be mapped, perhaps with a Fix Me, to remove the crane tag when work is completed?

Only if mapper who mapped this will resurvey location regularly and keep it updated.

And even then I have big doubts whatever it is OK.

Also, fixme tag should indicate what currently needs to be fixed. Do we have schemeto mark
fixme activating on the specific date?