UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Jordi Torres
We are delighted to announce the release of uDIG3D alpha version 0.1 with
support for 3D spherical (WGS84) maps and 3D projected maps. A new 3D Map is
integrated within udig to be managed as a simple map but with the advantage of
3D representation.

It makes use of OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) version 2.2.0. osgVP is a library
developed in the Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial(AI2) of the
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia(UPV).

If you want to test this release you can download a complete uDIG with the
necessary plugins and native libraries from here:

Linux Version:
http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-linux-i386-alpha-v0.1.tar.gz

Windows Version:
http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-win-i386-alpha-v0.1.zip

Some video demonstrations can be found here:
http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig1.swf
http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig2.swf

User Guide:
https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk/Documentation/UserGuide.pdf

If you are interested in taking a look at the code the svn access is:

uDIG3D Plugin:
svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk udig3d-trunk

osgVP Plugins:
svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/ osgvp-plugins-trunk

osgVP:
svn co https://gvsig.org/svn/osgvp/trunk/ osgvp-trunk

NOTES:
There is some known problems with the persistence of the 3D Maps, so we
apologize for possible issues. If anyone is interested in continuing or support
these developments please contact us.

--
Jordi Torres Fabra

Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
http://www.ai2.upv.es

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Jody Garnett-2
Congradulations!

(now if only you were showing this at FOSS4G :-D )

I think I have set you up with permissions to make a blog post; if it
does not work ask here on the email list and one of us can make sure
the word gets out.

Jody

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Jordi Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are delighted to announce the release of uDIG3D alpha version 0.1 with
> support for 3D spherical (WGS84) maps and 3D projected maps. A new 3D Map is
> integrated within udig to be managed as a simple map but with the advantage
> of
> 3D representation.
>
> It makes use of OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) version 2.2.0. osgVP is a library
> developed in the Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial(AI2) of
> the
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia(UPV).
>
> If you want to test this release you can download a complete uDIG with the
> necessary plugins and native libraries from here:
>
> Linux Version:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-linux-i386-alpha-v0.1.tar.gz
>
> Windows Version:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-win-i386-alpha-v0.1.zip
>
> Some video demonstrations can be found here:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig1.swf
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig2.swf
>
> User Guide:
> https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk/Documentation/UserGuide.pdf
>
> If you are interested in taking a look at the code the svn access is:
>
> uDIG3D Plugin:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk
> udig3d-trunk
>
> osgVP Plugins:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/
> osgvp-plugins-trunk
>
> osgVP:
> svn co https://gvsig.org/svn/osgvp/trunk/ osgvp-trunk
>

> NOTES:
> There is some known problems with the persistence of the 3D Maps, so we
> apologize for possible issues. If anyone is interested in continuing or
> support
> these developments please contact us.
>

> --
> Jordi Torres Fabra
>
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
> http://www.ai2.upv.es

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
Hi Jordi,
that stuff looks really cool. My congrats!

The two videos give a good first idea, I am (slowly) downloading to
try that out.

In the meanwhile could you answer some of my doubts?
- is it possible to add the 3d thing as a set of plugins to an
existing udig? Let's say m6? Or are the changes in parts of core udig
also? (I assume yes, but want to ask)
- I assume that if you zoom nearer, it remains a sphere, i.e. it is
not possible to add a map to be used as the elevation model on which
the maps are textured.

What are the future ideas for this work?

ciao
Andrea

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Jordi Torres <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We are delighted to announce the release of uDIG3D alpha version 0.1 with
> support for 3D spherical (WGS84) maps and 3D projected maps. A new 3D Map is
> integrated within udig to be managed as a simple map but with the advantage
> of
> 3D representation.
>
> It makes use of OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) version 2.2.0. osgVP is a library
> developed in the Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial(AI2) of
> the
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia(UPV).
>
> If you want to test this release you can download a complete uDIG with the
> necessary plugins and native libraries from here:
>
> Linux Version:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-linux-i386-alpha-v0.1.tar.gz
>
> Windows Version:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/udig-win-i386-alpha-v0.1.zip
>
> Some video demonstrations can be found here:
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig1.swf
> http://www2.ai2.upv.es/difusion/uDIG/demo-uDig2.swf
>
> User Guide:
> https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk/Documentation/UserGuide.pdf
>
> If you are interested in taking a look at the code the svn access is:
>
> uDIG3D Plugin:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk
> udig3d-trunk
>
> osgVP Plugins:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/
> osgvp-plugins-trunk
>
> osgVP:
> svn co https://gvsig.org/svn/osgvp/trunk/ osgvp-trunk
>

> NOTES:
> There is some known problems with the persistence of the 3D Maps, so we
> apologize for possible issues. If anyone is interested in continuing or
> support
> these developments please contact us.
>

> --
> Jordi Torres Fabra
>
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial
> http://www.ai2.upv.es

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Rafa Gaitan
Hi Andrea,

I will try to answer you in lines...

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 6:34 PM, andrea antonello
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jordi,
> that stuff looks really cool. My congrats!

Thank you, (I'm not Jordi, but we work in the same team :)).

> The two videos give a good first idea, I am (slowly) downloading to
> try that out.

Fingers crossed :), Tell us if anything is not working...

> In the meanwhile could you answer some of my doubts?
> - is it possible to add the 3d thing as a set of plugins to an
> existing udig? Let's say m6? Or are the changes in parts of core udig
> also? (I assume yes, but want to ask)

It is an independent plugin, we didn't make changes to the core of
udig, but we had lots of problems because some parts where not fully
extendable, so we replicate some code in there. You can take a look to
the plugin here:
svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk
udig3d-plugin.
It also requires other plugins that adapts osgVP to eclipse plugins:
svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/
osgvp-plugins-trunk

If I have time tomorrow, I will try to upload an sdk with the 3D
plugin and osgvp-plugins.

> - I assume that if you zoom nearer, it remains a sphere, i.e. it is
> not possible to add a map to be used as the elevation model on which
> the maps are textured.

Yes, in osgVP we have support for elevation layers, but currently is
not integrated in the plugin, is a TODO work.
osgVP also has a 3D symbology framework and other features that can be
potentially integrated. Take a look here:
https://gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-commons/osgvp/osg-virtual-planets

> What are the future ideas for this work?

Well, we have limited resources but we want to continue development
and give better support. The main work was made by Eline Lachat in her
final degree project. If anyone is interested in the work we can try
to make an effort to improve the development.

Greetz,
Rafa.

--
Rafael Gaitán Linares
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
Hi Rafa,

[...]
> Thank you, (I'm not Jordi, but we work in the same team :)).

Obviously the coolness goes to the whole team :)

>> The two videos give a good first idea, I am (slowly) downloading to
>> try that out.
>
> Fingers crossed :), Tell us if anything is not working...

I can create the map and the load world countries. Then I zoom in and
uDig crashes. That is odd. I am on windows vista and it can be
reproduced, since it did it three times in row.

---sidenote
Jody:I learned one nice thing by seeing all those nice native libs in
the udig folder of the udig3d project. Most probably the rcps set the
library path also to the install folder. This might be exploited also
for the imageio-ext libs, at least in linux, were the gdal_data
variable is not needed. That would make us get rid of the udig script.
A thing to check
---end sidenote

>> In the meanwhile could you answer some of my doubts?
>> - is it possible to add the 3d thing as a set of plugins to an
>> existing udig? Let's say m6? Or are the changes in parts of core udig
>> also? (I assume yes, but want to ask)
>
> It is an independent plugin, we didn't make changes to the core of
> udig, but we had lots of problems because some parts where not fully
> extendable, so we replicate some code in there. You can take a look to
> the plugin here:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk
> udig3d-plugin.
> It also requires other plugins that adapts osgVP to eclipse plugins:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/
> osgvp-plugins-trunk
>
> If I have time tomorrow, I will try to upload an sdk with the 3D
> plugin and osgvp-plugins.

Just to make sure I got it (don't want to try now, else I know I will
spend the night on it :)), it may be added simply as adding plugins to
the current uDig version?

[...]
> Yes, in osgVP we have support for elevation layers, but currently is
> not integrated in the plugin, is a TODO work.
> osgVP also has a 3D symbology framework and other features that can be
> potentially integrated. Take a look here:
> https://gvsig.org/web/projects/gvsig-commons/osgvp/osg-virtual-planets

Ok, I remember having seen the project.

>> What are the future ideas for this work?
>
> Well, we have limited resources but we want to continue development
> and give better support. The main work was made by Eline Lachat in her
> final degree project. If anyone is interested in the work we can try
> to make an effort to improve the development.

So your team is based in a university, right?
I did some playing around with nasa world wind, in order to make sure
I know what to do if a client asks me for 3d in uDig. Did you by
chance have a comparison between the two environments?

Nice to talk about this,
Thanks,
Andrea

> Greetz,
> Rafa.
>

> --
> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Jody Garnett-2
>> that stuff looks really cool. My congrats!
>
> Thank you, (I'm not Jordi, but we work in the same team :)).

I echo the congratulations - and notice that slashgis picked up on the
story right away.

> It is an independent plugin, we didn't make changes to the core of
> udig, but we had lots of problems because some parts where not fully
> extendable, so we replicate some code in there.

That is where we need your conversation and input on the udig-devel
list here :-) I would really recommend including time to bust out new
extension points and so on in your future plans.

> You can take a look to the plugin here:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/udig-extensions/trunk
> udig3d-plugin.
> It also requires other plugins that adapts osgVP to eclipse plugins:
> svn co https://svn-gis.ai2.upv.es/svn/gis-projects/osgvp/trunk/
> osgvp-plugins-trunk
>
> If I have time tomorrow, I will try to upload an sdk with the 3D
> plugin and osgvp-plugins.

Nice :-)

Your svn commit access allows you to upload to the udig server; there
is a special directory for "branches and experiments".

>> What are the future ideas for this work?
>
> Well, we have limited resources but we want to continue development
> and give better support. The main work was made by Eline Lachat in her
> final degree project. If anyone is interested in the work we can try
> to make an effort to improve the development.

All the best,
Jody

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Rafa Gaitan
Hi Andrea,

> I can create the map and the load world countries. Then I zoom in and
> uDig crashes. That is odd. I am on windows vista and it can be
> reproduced, since it did it three times in row.

Mmhh.. well, we tested that on windows XP and didn't happen. I will
try to recompile all in Windows Vista and VS9, many times mixing
different c++ runtimes gives problems. By now is compiled in windows
XP and VS8.

Do you have any hs_err....log inside udig directory? Sometimes gives
us a stack, and maybe a hint of the problem.

> ---sidenote
> Jody:I learned one nice thing by seeing all those nice native libs in
> the udig folder of the udig3d project. Most probably the rcps set the
> library path also to the install folder. This might be exploited also
> for the imageio-ext libs, at least in linux, were the gdal_data
> variable is not needed. That would make us get rid of the udig script.
> A thing to check
> ---end sidenote

Yes the advantage of eclipse is that the launcher is a native platform
launcher, and lauches the JVM using JNI, so the current directory is
the first path where Windows try to find dlls. Is not the same case in
linux.

> Just to make sure I got it (don't want to try now, else I know I will
> spend the night on it :)), it may be added simply as adding plugins to
> the current uDig version?

Yes, that is the idea, the current version is against M5 sdk.

> So your team is based in a university, right?
> I did some playing around with nasa world wind, in order to make sure
> I know what to do if a client asks me for 3d in uDig. Did you by
> chance have a comparison between the two environments?

Yes we are inside the university, the AI2 is an Universitary Institute.

At the begining of the project, we made a comparison. Nasa World Wind
has many advantages, but when we began NWW was made in .net :), later
they published JOGL version. So in that moment we decided to begin the
project using OpenSceneGraph (http://www.openscenegraph.org), and make
a GIS abstraction layer in C++ and a wrappers to Java, so now we can
develop GIS 3D applications in C++ and Java. We are also doing some
I+D in this area, so having our own framework is better in this case.

Thank you for your interest,
Rafa.

--
Rafael Gaitán Linares
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Rafa Gaitan
Hi Jody,

>> It is an independent plugin, we didn't make changes to the core of
>> udig, but we had lots of problems because some parts where not fully
>> extendable, so we replicate some code in there.
>
> That is where we need your conversation and input on the udig-devel
> list here :-) I would really recommend including time to bust out new
> extension points and so on in your future plans.

Yes, I need to recall and make a review to the Eline code and I will
post here again. If I remember Eline commented in the mail-list some
of the problems she had.

Greetz,
Rafa.

--
Rafael Gaitán Linares
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Mauricio Pazos
On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:03:19 am Rafa Gaitan wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
> >> It is an independent plugin, we didn't make changes to the core of
> >> udig, but we had lots of problems because some parts where not fully
> >> extendable, so we replicate some code in there.
> >
> > That is where we need your conversation and input on the udig-devel
> > list here :-) I would really recommend including time to bust out new
> > extension points and so on in your future plans.
>
> Yes, I need to recall and make a review to the Eline code and I will
> post here again. If I remember Eline commented in the mail-list some
> of the problems she had.
>
> Greetz,
> Rafa.
He Rafa: my congratulations. If your team identify new extension points for
uDig framework it will be an important step.

cheers
--
Mauricio Pazos
www.axios.es

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Rafa Gaitan
Hi Jody et all,

We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
the subversion repository

OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.

We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
Rafa.

--
Rafael Gaitán Linares
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
Hi Rafa,
I don't think (someone might correct me) that you have to stop this.
Can't you just supply your plugins as GPL?

Andrea

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jody et all,
>
> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
> the subversion repository
>
> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>
> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
> Rafa.
>

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Mauricio Pazos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Thursday 08 October 2009 08:03:19 am Rafa Gaitan wrote:
>>> Hi Jody,

>>> Yes, I need to recall and make a review to the Eline code and I will
>>> post here again. If I remember Eline commented in the mail-list some
>>> of the problems she had.
>>>
>>> Greetz,
>>> Rafa.
>> He Rafa: my congratulations. If your team identify new extension points for
>> uDig framework it will be an important step.
>>
>> cheers
>> --
>> Mauricio Pazos
>> www.axios.es
>>

> --
> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Jody Garnett-2
You are welcome to work on GPL plugins in the community section; we
restrict the core uDig app to LGPL in order to appeal to a wide range
of users - including yourself.

Jody

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You are welcome to work on GPL plugins in the community section; we
> restrict the core uDig app to LGPL in order to appeal to a wide range
> of users - including yourself.

Yes I thought that there wasn't problem, but a comment on the blog
points to some conflicts on the license
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility).

Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
told us that is a problem.

> Jody
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jody et all,
>>
>> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
>> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
>> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
>> the subversion repository
>>
>> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
>> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>>
>> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
>> Rafa.

>>> He Rafa: my congratulations. If your team identify new extension points for
>>> uDig framework it will be an important step.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> --
>>> Mauricio Pazos
>>> www.axios.es
>>>

>> --
>> Rafael Gaitán Linares
>> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
>> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
>> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Rafael Gaitán Linares
Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
[...]
> Yes I thought that there wasn't problem, but a comment on the blog
> points to some conflicts on the license
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility).

Can you point me to the comment?
From the comments I see that you can have a GPL project and use mix it
with LGPL, as long as you rerelease it under GPL:
"LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense the code under GPLv3. In
these cases, you can combine the code if you convert the LGPLed code
to GPLv3."

> Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
> 3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
> developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
> if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
> told us that is a problem.

Should not be any conflict. We can't release udig with the plugin
under LGPL, that would be a problem.
But you can make your own release of udig that you define to be GPL,
since, as the comment states: LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense
the code under GPLv3.
And then you are good. You are doing it right now. Just define in the
license of your 3d release that the whole thing is gpl.
I have the same issues with dxf and dwg code from jump and gvsig. I
willl have to release those plugins as gpl. No real problem.

Don't give up that good work!
Ciao
Andrea

>> Jody
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody et all,
>>>
>>> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
>>> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
>>> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
>>> the subversion repository
>>>
>>> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
>>> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>>>
>>> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
>>> Rafa.

>>> --
>>> Rafael Gaitán Linares
>>> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
>>> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
>>> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Craig Taverner-2
Hi all,

There is actually a more serious problem, and that is that uDIG is an eclipse application, and includes a large number of org.eclipse.* plugins, which are all EPL licensed. EPL is incompatible with GPL, so you cannot release the complete product as GPL. This also means you cannot use a GPL library in the product, because that forces you to release as GPL, which you cannot. Catch-22.

So there are two solutions:
  • Do not use any GPL libraries, only LGPL libraries, in which case you have choice of the license to release your product under, LGPL or EPL, or other, but not GPL.
  • Release the product without the GPL component, making it an optional module the end users can download and install. The license incompatibility between GPL and EPL apparently only affects your ability to distribute the combination.
This license spat between the eclipse foundation and the FSF has hurt us. We needed to negotiate a *commercial* license from the vendor of our GPL component in order to distribute our product. This is not a good thing.

But in your case, you could still provide your GPL component as an optional module to uDIG, as long as you did not actually distribute it combined with any EPL components. That is my understanding.

Regards, Craig

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM, andrea antonello <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> Yes I thought that there wasn't problem, but a comment on the blog
> points to some conflicts on the license
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility).

Can you point me to the comment?
From the comments I see that you can have a GPL project and use mix it
with LGPL, as long as you rerelease it under GPL:
"LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense the code under GPLv3. In
these cases, you can combine the code if you convert the LGPLed code
to GPLv3."

> Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
> 3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
> developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
> if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
> told us that is a problem.

Should not be any conflict. We can't release udig with the plugin
under LGPL, that would be a problem.
But you can make your own release of udig that you define to be GPL,
since, as the comment states: LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense
the code under GPLv3.
And then you are good. You are doing it right now. Just define in the
license of your 3d release that the whole thing is gpl.
I have the same issues with dxf and dwg code from jump and gvsig. I
willl have to release those plugins as gpl. No real problem.

Don't give up that good work!
Ciao
Andrea

>> Jody
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody et all,
>>>
>>> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
>>> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
>>> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
>>> the subversion repository
>>>
>>> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
>>> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>>>
>>> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
>>> Rafa.

>>> --
>>> Rafael Gaitán Linares
>>> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
>>> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
>>> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
Hi Craig, thanks for you comments.
in fact I had heard about the EPL/GPL incompatibility.

I guess this makes one thing extremely important. Getting a
clean-wellworking-easytouse plugin update mechanism working in uDig. I
put it as code sprint topic and I believe we really have to push it.
Currently it seems to be the only way to workaround the burdens.

Thoughts?
Andrea

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Craig Taverner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> > Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
>> > 3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
>> > developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
>> > if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
>> > told us that is a problem.
>>
>> Should not be any conflict. We can't release udig with the plugin
>> under LGPL, that would be a problem.
>> But you can make your own release of udig that you define to be GPL,
>> since, as the comment states: LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense
>> the code under GPLv3.
>> And then you are good. You are doing it right now. Just define in the
>> license of your 3d release that the whole thing is gpl.
>> I have the same issues with dxf and dwg code from jump and gvsig. I
>> willl have to release those plugins as gpl. No real problem.

Riccardo Rigon
Then the whole gvSIG project is in trouble. GPLv2 upon EPL. Isn't it ?

riccardo

On Oct 15, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Craig Taverner wrote:

Hi all,

There is actually a more serious problem, and that is that uDIG is an eclipse application, and includes a large number of org.eclipse.* plugins, which are all EPL licensed. EPL is incompatible with GPL, so you cannot release the complete product as GPL. This also means you cannot use a GPL library in the product, because that forces you to release as GPL, which you cannot. Catch-22.

So there are two solutions:
  • Do not use any GPL libraries, only LGPL libraries, in which case you have choice of the license to release your product under, LGPL or EPL, or other, but not GPL.
  • Release the product without the GPL component, making it an optional module the end users can download and install. The license incompatibility between GPL and EPL apparently only affects your ability to distribute the combination.
This license spat between the eclipse foundation and the FSF has hurt us. We needed to negotiate a *commercial* license from the vendor of our GPL component in order to distribute our product. This is not a good thing.

But in your case, you could still provide your GPL component as an optional module to uDIG, as long as you did not actually distribute it combined with any EPL components. That is my understanding.

Regards, Craig

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM, andrea antonello <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> Yes I thought that there wasn't problem, but a comment on the blog
> points to some conflicts on the license
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility).

Can you point me to the comment?
From the comments I see that you can have a GPL project and use mix it
with LGPL, as long as you rerelease it under GPL:
"LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense the code under GPLv3. In
these cases, you can combine the code if you convert the LGPLed code
to GPLv3."

> Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
> 3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
> developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
> if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
> told us that is a problem.

Should not be any conflict. We can't release udig with the plugin
under LGPL, that would be a problem.
But you can make your own release of udig that you define to be GPL,
since, as the comment states: LGPLv3 gives you permission to relicense
the code under GPLv3.
And then you are good. You are doing it right now. Just define in the
license of your 3d release that the whole thing is gpl.
I have the same issues with dxf and dwg code from jump and gvsig. I
willl have to release those plugins as gpl. No real problem.

Don't give up that good work!
Ciao
Andrea

>> Jody
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody et all,
>>>
>>> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
>>> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we have
>>> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed down
>>> the subversion repository
>>>
>>> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2 and
>>> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>>>
>>> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
>>> Rafa.

>>> --
>>> Rafael Gaitán Linares
>>> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
>>> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
>>> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
Publications according to ISI: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-5395-2008
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Andrea Antonello
Nope, gvsig in my understanding is based on swing, not any eclipse rcp thing.

Andrea

On 16/10/2009, at 12:17 AM, Rafa Gaitan wrote:

> Hi Jody,
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Jody Garnett
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> You are welcome to work on GPL plugins in the community section; we
>> restrict the core uDig app to LGPL in order to appeal to a wide range
>> of users - including yourself.
>>

> Yes I thought that there wasn't problem, but a comment on the blog
> points to some conflicts on the license
> (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AllCompatibility).
>
> Of course I know our plugin must be GPL, but if anyone uses uDIG +
> 3DPlugin then it cannot be LGPL.. only GPL (I think), so no closed
> developments could be done with 3D plugin. So the really question here
> if is there any conclict between the two licenses. From gvSIG they
> told us that is a problem.

Right so if you are distributing uDIG+3DPlugins you will need to
distribute them as GPL. The uDig plugins
are LGPL based and you would be taking them and redistributing them.
(ie your own copy).

I recommend (rather then us sit around and guess) that you talk to the
free software foundation europe as they
are very helpful.

Cheers,
Jody

>> Jody
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Rafa Gaitan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jody et all,
>>>
>>> We regret to inform all of you that due to a license incompatibility
>>> we cannot continue the development of the UDIG3D extension and we
>>> have
>>> retired the previously uploaded alpha releases and we have closed
>>> down
>>> the subversion repository
>>>
>>> OSGVirtualPlanets(osgVP) is a GPLv2 framework developed in the AI2
>>> and
>>> supported by gvSIG, so the GPL license is a must here.
>>>
>>> We really apologize for the trouble we have caused to everyone,
>>> Rafa.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Mauricio Pazos <[hidden email]

>>> --
>>> Rafael Gaitán Linares
>>> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://www.ai2.upv.es
>>> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
>>> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

> Rafael Gaitán Linares
> Instituto de Automática e Informática Industrial  http://
> www.ai2.upv.es
> Ciudad Politécnica de la Innovación
> Universidad Politécnica de Valencia

Re: UDIG3D alpha version release!!

Jody Garnett-2
So there are two solutions:
  • Do not use any GPL libraries, only LGPL libraries, in which case you have choice of the license to release your product under, LGPL or EPL, or other, but not GPL.
  • Release the product without the GPL component, making it an optional module the end users can download and install. The license incompatibility between GPL and EPL apparently only affects your ability to distribute the combination.
This license spat between the eclipse foundation and the FSF has hurt us. We needed to negotiate a *commercial* license from the vendor of our GPL component in order to distribute our product. This is not a good thing.

Interesting background; thanks for your input Craig.

But in your case, you could still provide your GPL component as an optional module to uDIG, as long as you did not actually distribute it combined with any EPL components. That is my understanding.

So make use of an update site; or offer two downloads?
Jody