UK postcode geocoding - what's your source?

UK postcode geocoding - what's your source?

Anna Powell-Smith
Hi,

Quick question - does the Cloudmade geocoder use the Royal Mail's
database to look up UK postcodes?

Or are you using a public domain geocoder?

thanks!
Anna

Re: UK postcode geocoding - what's your source?

Shaun McDonald-2

On 11 Apr 2009, at 11:35, Anna Powell-Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quick question - does the Cloudmade geocoder use the Royal Mail's
> database to look up UK postcodes?

We are not using the Royal Mail's expensive copyright data.

> Or are you using a public domain geocoder?

Instead we are are currently using public domain data submitted to
free the postcode and npe maps, in our own geocoding engine.

http://www.npemap.org.uk/FAQ.html#licence
http://www.freethepostcode.org/

Shaun