Ubuntu 10.04.

Bill Brab
Hello,
I downloaded the installer for x86_64 for RC3 and can't seem to figure out how to open gui (if one) for my OS install.  Can you assist with correct file or command line syntax?  I run Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64.  The instructions on the webpage apply for Microsoft Windows only, is there a file to assist with Linux users?  If not, can one be made?

Re: Ubuntu 10.04.

Peter N. Schweitzer
On 07/22/2010 08:43 AM, Bill Brab wrote:
> I downloaded the installer for x86_64 for RC3 and can't seem to figure
> out how to open gui (if one) for my OS install.  Can you assist with
> correct file or command line syntax?  I run Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64.  The
> instructions on the webpage apply for Microsoft Windows only, is there a
> file to assist with Linux users?  If not, can one be made?

Until recently I ran Slackware and used uDig--I just switched to Xubuntu
to get AD authentication, and haven't yet installed uDig.

But what I did under Slackware was simply to create a launcher for the
panel that ran, in my case /usr/local/udig/udig.sh then click the launcher.
It sometimes helps to run udig.sh from the command line in case there is
a simple problem preventing it from running.  For example if udig.sh is
not assigned execute permission--the launcher in xfce doesn't necessarily
show you error messages, and sometimes you need to see them.

Peter
--
Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
(703) 648-6533  FAX: (703) 648-6252  email: [hidden email]

Re: Ubuntu 10.04.

Jody Garnett-2
The Walkthough 1 page [1]page links to the instructions for running uDig...

http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Running+uDig

But really you tend to unzip and run the udig.sh script to launch.

http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/udig-1.2-RC3.linux.gtk.x86.zip
http://udig.refractions.net/files/downloads/udig-1.2-RC3.linux.gtk.x86_64.zip

The bundles are standalone and include their own copy of Java etc...

If you do have any questions please ask and we can update that page (it is actually a wiki you can update yourself as well).

Jody

[1] http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/EN/Walkthrough+1
On 22/07/2010, at 10:43 PM, Bill Brab wrote:

> Hello,
> I downloaded the installer for x86_64 for RC3 and can't seem to figure out how to open gui (if one) for my OS install.  Can you assist with correct file or command line syntax?  I run Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64.  The instructions on the webpage apply for Microsoft Windows only, is there a file to assist with Linux users?  If not, can one be made? _______________________________________________
> udig-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.refractions.net/mailman/listinfo/udig-users

Re: Ubuntu 10.04.

Jody Garnett-2
If you could provide an example launcher it would make a good addition to our instructions; I am afraid I don't know how to actually do one myself.

Jody

On 22/07/2010, at 11:14 PM, Peter Schweitzer wrote:

> On 07/22/2010 08:43 AM, Bill Brab wrote:
>> I downloaded the installer for x86_64 for RC3 and can't seem to figure
>> out how to open gui (if one) for my OS install.  Can you assist with
>> correct file or command line syntax?  I run Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64.  The
>> instructions on the webpage apply for Microsoft Windows only, is there a
>> file to assist with Linux users?  If not, can one be made?
>
> Until recently I ran Slackware and used uDig--I just switched to Xubuntu
> to get AD authentication, and haven't yet installed uDig.
>
> But what I did under Slackware was simply to create a launcher for the
> panel that ran, in my case /usr/local/udig/udig.sh then click the launcher.
> It sometimes helps to run udig.sh from the command line in case there is
> a simple problem preventing it from running.  For example if udig.sh is
> not assigned execute permission--the launcher in xfce doesn't necessarily
> show you error messages, and sometimes you need to see them.
>
> Peter
> --
> Peter N. Schweitzer (MS 954, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, VA 20192)
> (703) 648-6533  FAX: (703) 648-6252  email: [hidden email]
> <http://geology.usgs.gov/peter/>

Re: Ubuntu 10.04.

Peter N. Schweitzer
On 07/22/2010 09:55 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> If you could provide an example launcher it would make a good addition to our instructions; I am afraid I don't know how to actually do one myself.

For xfce, the default desktop in Xubuntu, launchers are created by right-clicking
the "panel" (as opposed to the "taskbar") and choosing "Add new items".  The
default choice at that point is to create a new "Launcher", so click "Add".
A property sheet appears; enter a label for the launcher ("uDig" might not be
a bad choice), change the icon if you wish, and type the path to udig.sh as
the command to execute.  The results are stored in ~/.config/xfce4/panel in
a file named launcher-(something).rc

I unzipped udig-1.2-RC3.linux.gtk.x86.zip using sudo when in /usr/local
and have the following working launcher .rc file:

[Entry 0]
Name=uDig
Icon=/usr/local/udig/icon.xpm
Exec=/usr/local/udig/udig.sh
Path=/home/pschweitzer
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

[Global]
MoveFirst=false
ArrowPosition=0

This note applies to Xubuntu 10.04 32-bit version.

Hope this helps!

Peter