Underground Mall entrances?

Joseph Eisenberg
Underground malls are often mapped with location=underground and
layer=-1 and more negative values can be used for the underground
levels of features within the mall.

But how should we specify the location of an entrance to the underground mall?

There is an amenity=parking_entrance tag for the entrance of an
underground (or aboveground) parking structure, which allows routing
and rendering applications to show this location specifically.

It could be useful to map the location of the mall entrances, both for
underground malls and large above-ground malls, so that the main mall
entrances can be located separately from all the individual shop
entrances. T

he tag indoor=yes can be used with entrance=yes to show that this door
is within the mall, but there isn't a specific way to show the main
entrance/exit from the whole shopping centre, when the outer way of
the area doesn't intersect with the entrance=yes node.

This would be common with underground malls, where the entrance may be
inside of, or even outside of, the polygon that outlines the area of
the mall, because the escalators or stairs are usually not right at
the boundary.

Would something like entrance=mall or mall=entrance work?

Or do we need a subtag for entrance=yes?

Re: Underground Mall entrances?

SimonPoole

Am 02.06.2019 um 07:37 schrieb Joseph Eisenberg:
> Underground malls are often mapped with location=underground and
> layer=-1 and more negative values can be used for the underground
> levels of features within the mall.

layer is a rendering hint and only indicates the position relative to
over (or under) laying objects.

level is the tag used to indicate position within/relative to a
buildings floors.

> But how should we specify the location of an entrance to the underground mall?
>
> There is an amenity=parking_entrance tag for the entrance of an
> underground (or aboveground) parking structure, which allows routing
> and rendering applications to show this location specifically.
>
> It could be useful to map the location of the mall entrances, both for
> underground malls and large above-ground malls, so that the main mall
> entrances can be located separately from all the individual shop
> entrances. T
If you want to go to this level of detail, you should be mappign the
structure that the door is in too.

> he tag indoor=yes can be used with entrance=yes to show that this door
> is within the mall, but there isn't a specific way to show the main
> entrance/exit from the whole shopping centre, when the outer way of
> the area doesn't intersect with the entrance=yes node.
>
> This would be common with underground malls, where the entrance may be
> inside of, or even outside of, the polygon that outlines the area of
> the mall, because the escalators or stairs are usually not right at
> the boundary.
>
> Would something like entrance=mall or mall=entrance work?
>
> Or do we need a subtag for entrance=yes?

Re: Underground Mall entrances?

Joseph Eisenberg
> layer is a rendering hint and only indicates the position relative to
> over (or under) laying objects.
> level is the tag used to indicate position within/relative to a
> buildings floors.

Thank you for the correction: level is the right tag.

> If you want to go to this level of detail, you should be mapping the
structure that the door is in too.

I'm thinking of underground malls in Singapore which are accessed from
escalators and stairs in the sidewalk or within the atrium of a tower
- similar to a subway entrance.

On 2. Jun 2019, at 14:33, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> If you want to go to this level of detail, you should be mapping the
> structure that the door is in too.
>
> I'm thinking of underground malls in Singapore which are accessed from
> escalators and stairs in the sidewalk or within the atrium of a tower
> - similar to a subway entrance.

the situation is similar, you have to decide whether the mall extends to these escalators, or if they go down to the mall and the entrance is only at the lower level, in any case it seems to make sense to map these escalators or elevators or stairs.

Cheers, Martin