Unmarked tracks (Figure of Eight Pools, NSW)

Unmarked tracks (Figure of Eight Pools, NSW)

Andrew Harvey-3
I'm seeking some feedback from the community about the way at https://osmlab.github.io/osm-deep-history/#/way/157934548 should it exist in OSM?

There isn't really any marked track on the ground, which is a big reason to not include, however it is a path in the sense that it's a way that people follow pretty much every day or at least every weekend in droves, it just hasn't formed a track that you can see like other bush tracks because shoes don't ware away bear rock that fast compared to dirt! It's verifiable and surveyable by observing people follow the path. The fact that it's unmarked is recorded by trail_visibility=no (a documented and used tag) and that it's over rock by the surface tag.

I'm vocal about not tagging for the renderer or routed, but from a map rendering and routing perspective it's desired to have this way in OSM.

Thoughts?

Re: Unmarked tracks (Figure of Eight Pools, NSW)

Phil Wyatt

Given the level of publicity/invitation of the area I think its fair to have it on the map. It would be worth adding some warning/risk information if possible given concern for walkers in the area

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/things-to-do/lookouts/figure-eight-pools

Cheers - Phil