Update on Kunduz mapping

Frédéric Bonifas
Hello,

Thank you very much to all those having already mapped for the Kunduz task : http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199

As this project has started 5 weeks ago, it would be great to be able to finish the mapping and tell the ICRC that they can use the data.

I know that the DigitalGlobe imagery quality is low for tracing buildings :
* you can offset the Bing imagery to align it with the DigitalGlobe imagery and trace with Bing
* if you cannot see the building clearly or you don't understand where the walls are, then don't spend too much time trying to find out what it is : we can do our best with the imagery we have, but we cannot invent things.

Thanks to all of you who will be mapping

Best

Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Update on Kunduz mapping

Dan S
Hi,

I've done plenty of mapping, but I'm new to HOT. I'm not sure on how
to add the extra imagery etc. Can this task be done in potlatch?
(Please don't judge ;)

Dan

2013/4/3 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much to all those having already mapped for the Kunduz task :
> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>
> As this project has started 5 weeks ago, it would be great to be able to
> finish the mapping and tell the ICRC that they can use the data.
>
> I know that the DigitalGlobe imagery quality is low for tracing buildings :
> * you can offset the Bing imagery to align it with the DigitalGlobe imagery
> and trace with Bing
> * if you cannot see the building clearly or you don't understand where the
> walls are, then don't spend too much time trying to find out what it is : we
> can do our best with the imagery we have, but we cannot invent things.
>
> Thanks to all of you who will be mapping
>
> Best
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Frédéric Bonifas
> +33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Update on Kunduz mapping

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi Dan,

Unfortunately, I don't think it is possible to add this imagery in Potlatch.

Best

Fred

2013/4/3 Dan S <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I've done plenty of mapping, but I'm new to HOT. I'm not sure on how
to add the extra imagery etc. Can this task be done in potlatch?
(Please don't judge ;)

Dan

2013/4/3 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you very much to all those having already mapped for the Kunduz task :
> http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199
>
> As this project has started 5 weeks ago, it would be great to be able to
> finish the mapping and tell the ICRC that they can use the data.
>
> I know that the DigitalGlobe imagery quality is low for tracing buildings :
> * you can offset the Bing imagery to align it with the DigitalGlobe imagery
> and trace with Bing
> * if you cannot see the building clearly or you don't understand where the
> walls are, then don't spend too much time trying to find out what it is : we
> can do our best with the imagery we have, but we cannot invent things.
>
> Thanks to all of you who will be mapping
>
> Best
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Frédéric Bonifas

Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Update on Kunduz mapping

Frédéric Bonifas

A big thank you to all those that have been mapping last week, the progresses are huge.

I share below a message from Yann Rebois, ICRC :
"
Hi there,
 following  the tasking manager, it is moving ahead ...

http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199

We are supporting your volunteers morally and we are thanking them. please share this encouragement to them!
Waiting the final results !

Many thanks

"

Fred

[...]

The task for mapping Kunduz is almost done (93%). It would be great to be able to finish quickly, so that the ICRC can start working on its water project with this data.

If the DigitalGlobe image is too bad for tracing, you can offset the Bing imagery and trace on top of it.

And if you don't want to trace a lot, there are still tiles to validate.

Thanks and best

Fred

2013/4/10 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>
Hi,

[...]

The task for mapping Kunduz buildings is now 100% completed:
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/199

Thank you to all that have participated to achieve this.

Best

Fred

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Update on Kunduz mapping

Harry Wood
Excellent. I'm noticing some other jobs have reached 100% too. Great progress!

http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/211 "RD Congo, Sud-Kivu, Nextview imagery *** Cholera" 100%
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/198 "Mali Activation, South of Mopti, Trace infrastructures (Input : Crowdsource Image Recognition)" 100%
http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/201 "Mali Activation, Mopti Buildings for UN OCHA" is at 96%

I've unfeatured these so that the main featured list ( http://tasks.hotosm.org ) is showing basic mapping tasks for people to join in with. Plenty more!

Of course it's probably a good idea for some pro-mappers to cast their eye over these areas after jobs are completed. You can use the task manager validation feature (turning the squares from red to green) but also just sanity checking across the overall area. Have we acheived consistent coverage of the intended features, also consistent categorisation of roads? And JOSM validator and other QA tools will help reveal patches of mapping mistakes.

Harry

----

Re: Update on Kunduz mapping

pierzen
Hi Harry,

Yes, it would be good after these tasks are completed, that some people make validations. Tools such as Osmose could be used.

Pierre