Update to HOT Technical Working Group

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Update to HOT Technical Working Group

Nate Smith-2
Hello HOT -

A short update on the Technical Working Group! If you're curious to get more involved or just learn more, read below and look to join our next meeting on October 2 at 15:00 UTC.

As a reminder, you can find information about all the working groups and links to where the conversation happens on the website: https://www.hotosm.org/community/working-groups/.

*****

Updates to HOT Tech Working Group

At FOSS4G/HOT Summit we heard a number of things from staff, members, and the community. One common theme that came out was the need to propose some changes to the Tech Working Group to meet demand of development pace and look to get more people involved in specific tools and not just admin processes.

Over the past year, the Tech Working Group meeting has been meeting bi-weekly and exploring some slightly different formats. While we’ve experimented with different formats (type of meetings, meetings in Asia and EU/Americas timezones), it’s mostly been an admin meeting with lower attendance. We’ve continued to receive feedback that the meeting is hard to get involved (it’s text based) and that it would be nice to have more presentation style updates to see features demo’d or updates communicated.

So we’re changing how the Tech Working Group meets.
  • Move to a monthly voice meeting. Focus on sharing tools, data work, or other technical work from across projects, countries, people. We will need screen-sharing functionality and so we’ll look to use Google Hangouts Meet or Zoom for now and can consider some other open source options that can handle larger groups.
  • Add topical or tool based sub-working groups. Start with the following (but could be revisited next year):
    • Tasking Manager and ML
    • Data analysis and quality
    • Field collection tools
  • Continue to share a monthly update note
How we get this started

Monthly Meeting

We’ll have our first month Tech Working Group meeting on Oct 2 at 15:00 UTC. We’ll demo the upcoming new release of MapCampaigner and give a short training on how to use it and some future development ideas.

Sub working group meetings

We will be having our first Tasking Manager working group meeting today at 15:00 UTC. We will share the plan for the other sub working groups and update the Working Group calendar with the details for when meetings will happen and how to plug in.


--
Nate Smith
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team

_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot