Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Arthur Geeson
Hi,

I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be copy right information?

Perhaps we could have a 'source - AIS' ?

Looking at the OSM wiki I find that there is a 'man_made - beacon' tag.  Further searching I find there is an OpenSeaMap.  I am not sure why we would need OpenStreetMap and OpenSeaMap should these not be combined? However if they are separate so be it.  It would seem that OpenSeaMap has a number of suitable icons but I was not able to search it.  Basically AIS does not seem to be supported on either of the maps.

MarineTraffic.com uses the OpenStreetMap to display the positions of many thousands of ships around the world based on AIS input.

Is anyone able to help?

Thanks - Arthur

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Phil Wyatt

I would also ask here

https://www.operations.amsa.gov.au/Spatial/DataServices/DigitalData

But it looks like it may not be compatible with open Street requirements

https://www.operations.amsa.gov.au/Spatial/DataServices/Copyright

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/ODbL_Compatibility

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Marc Gemis
AFAIK, OpenSeaMap is dedicated rendering based on the same
OpenStreetMap database as the map of e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org
The OpenSeaMap project also defines certain tags that are only used
for navigation on water. See [1] for more info on how it works.

So on one hand they are already combined (use the same database), but
they are also separate (OpenSeaMap provides their own rendering of the
data).

regards

m.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:17 AM Arthur Geeson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be copy right information?
>
> Perhaps we could have a 'source - AIS' ?
>
> Looking at the OSM wiki I find that there is a 'man_made - beacon' tag.  Further searching I find there is an OpenSeaMap.  I am not sure why we would need OpenStreetMap and OpenSeaMap should these not be combined? However if they are separate so be it.  It would seem that OpenSeaMap has a number of suitable icons but I was not able to search it.  Basically AIS does not seem to be supported on either of the maps.
>
> MarineTraffic.com uses the OpenStreetMap to display the positions of many thousands of ships around the world based on AIS input.
>
> Is anyone able to help?
>
> Thanks - Arthur

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 16:17, Arthur Geeson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be copy right information?

What are you actually wanting to map, Arthur?

Anchorages, nav aids, what?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Alex (Maxious) Sadleir
Having a look at the mapping guidelines I did find Beacons https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Beacons can have Radio Stations https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Seamarks/Radio_Stations including seamark:radio_station:category=ais "An AIS radiobeacon on a seamark that reports its own position" and a lot of other AIS radio station types including some that aren't really a buoy there - virtual! (http://www.professionalmariner.com/August-2014/synthetic-aids-virtual-buoys/

So I assume one must do some seaside mapping using some kind of radio like an SDR to get the position data? https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-tutorial-cheap-ais-ship-tracking/

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 6:34 PM Marc Gemis <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK, OpenSeaMap is dedicated rendering based on the same
OpenStreetMap database as the map of e.g. http://www.openstreetmap.org
The OpenSeaMap project also defines certain tags that are only used
for navigation on water. See [1] for more info on how it works.

So on one hand they are already combined (use the same database), but
they are also separate (OpenSeaMap provides their own rendering of the
data).

regards

m.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 7:17 AM Arthur Geeson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be copy right information?
>
> Perhaps we could have a 'source - AIS' ?
>
> Looking at the OSM wiki I find that there is a 'man_made - beacon' tag.  Further searching I find there is an OpenSeaMap.  I am not sure why we would need OpenStreetMap and OpenSeaMap should these not be combined? However if they are separate so be it.  It would seem that OpenSeaMap has a number of suitable icons but I was not able to search it.  Basically AIS does not seem to be supported on either of the maps.
>
> MarineTraffic.com uses the OpenStreetMap to display the positions of many thousands of ships around the world based on AIS input.
>
> Is anyone able to help?
>
> Thanks - Arthur

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Arthur Geeson

Hi Graeme,

On receiving the AIS data about half of the messages at my location come from fixed location beacons that ships are able to receive and then plot the positions on their display along with their GPS position and the positions of other vessels.  They are then able to navigate with greater safety knowing what is around them.  These fixed location beacons I feel should be also permanently marked on the OSM so that weekend sailors can use the OSM with more information available.  I presume that these beacons consist of a pile or buoy fitted with a solar panel, battery and VHF transmitter with software to control the transmission.  They are of course situated in suitable locations to assist with navigation.

Hope this helps - Arthur

On 3/1/19 6:30 pm, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 at 16:17, Arthur Geeson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use the position data received from Automatic Identification System (AIS) messages that are used for navigational aids for marine ships to plot the position of these piles on the OSM but I am not sure if this would be copy right information?

What are you actually wanting to map, Arthur?

Anchorages, nav aids, what?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Use of AIS message as input to OSM

Arthur Geeson

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the additional information I shall go through it all ASAP.

Arthur