Use of OSM data without attribution

Mike Thompson
Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
Mike

[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Clifford Snow
Hey Mike,
They definitely mention OSM, even call us a partner [1] but like you found their basemap is definitely OSM. Instead of suggesting their users edit OSM, they instead instruct them to email [hidden email]

All Trails is located in SF but I couldn't find any listing of a leadership team.

Do you want to ask on Slack? Someone there might have a connection.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
Mike

[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)

@osm_washington
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

stevea
Thanks very much you two:  I've often meant to do something about alltrails' seeming / actual lack of attribution to OSM (if it exists, I haven't found it either) and something always seems to creep up and prevent me from taking action.  These are most assuredly "our" (OSM's / mine, others in OSM) data.  Yea:  let's get this ball rolling and a proper OSM attribution!

SteveA
California

> On Aug 19, 2020, at 2:44 PM, Clifford Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hey Mike,
> They definitely mention OSM, even call us a partner [1] but like you found their basemap is definitely OSM. Instead of suggesting their users edit OSM, they instead instruct them to email [hidden email],
>
> All Trails is located in SF but I couldn't find any listing of a leadership team.
>
> Do you want to ask on Slack? Someone there might have a connection.
>

> [1] https://support.alltrails.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018930672-How-do-I-update-or-change-information-about-a-trail-
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
> Mike
>
> [0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
<remainder redacted>

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Mike Thompson
Clifford,

Thanks for the link where they mention OSM.  I did find their CEO on Linkedin, and just sent him this message:

==============================

Hi Ron, I noticed that AllTrails uses OSM data for its trails on the default "AllTrails Map Layer", while you mention this fact on your site[0], I didn't see any attribution on the map itself crediting OSM.  The map should have some text on it such as "Trail data © OpenStreetMap contributors"[1]

Thanks

Mike

OSM Contributor Specializing in Trails

==============================

There are several other members of the AllTrails leadership team on LinkedIn, you might want to reach out to them too.

Mike

[0] https://support.alltrails.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018930672-How-do-I-update-or-change-information-about-a-trail-

[1] https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 3:44 PM Clifford Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Steve,

Thanks for the confirmation that the attribution is missing.  I will let you, and the rest of the list, know if and when I hear from them.

Mike

On 20. Aug 2020, at 00:18, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the link where they mention OSM.  I did find their CEO on Linkedin, and just sent him this message:

thank you! You may also consider adding them here:
to keep track of the case.

Cheers Martin

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Mike Thompson
I have already heard back from the CEO of AllTrails.  See his response below.  They are going to fix the issue. I am impressed!

=============================
Thanks for the note, Mike. I know that this is going to sound lame but I swear it's the truth, and that's that you found a bug on our website. There should totally be an attribution block at the bottom and we'll get that fixed up ASAP.

All the best,
Ron
=============================

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 4:37 PM Martin Koppenhoefer <[hidden email]> wrote:

sent from a phone

On 20. Aug 2020, at 00:18, Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the link where they mention OSM.  I did find their CEO on Linkedin, and just sent him this message:

thank you! You may also consider adding them here:
to keep track of the case.

Cheers Martin

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Andy Townsend

On 19/08/2020 22:44, Clifford Snow wrote:
...  Instead of suggesting their users edit OSM, they instead instruct them to email [hidden email]

Indeed, and by the time they get to us they are usually "rabbits of negative euphoria"* because of the less than stellar support experience they've had at AllTrails.

Looking at e.g. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/list/yorkshire-wolds-way?b_tl_lat=54.06089919948305&b_tl_lng=-0.7765960693359375&b_br_lat=53.9918264806059&b_br_lng=-0.6293106079101562 I'm not surprised - to my eyes that really is a crime against cartography.  Zoom in, and you'll see that that useful-looking north-south path just southeast of Thixendale is actually marked "(PRIVATE)", but at any scale you might want to plan a route on it isn't.

The explanation we have to give every time goes something along the lines of:

  • No, we're not Alltrails support, and can't directly affect the way that their map represents things.
  • Yes, it's perfectly normal for the OpenStreetMap database to include ways along which there is limited access (such as only the householder, or perhaps other people in an emergency).
  • Individual maps can choose what data to show and what not, and if a map does a poor job of it that's really not an OpenStreetMap problem.
  • While we'd love you to update OpenStreetMap yourself** (since you know your local area better than we do) we're more than happy to try and fix the OSM data if it's wrong - but we can't guarantee when (or even if) any particular OSM-based map will show the changes.

Best Regards,

Andy (from the Data Working Group)

* not a happy bunny

** I'd also, if it seems that it might help, try and introduce them to the local OSM community.

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Andrew Harvey-3

On Thu, 20 Aug 2020 at 11:11, Andy Townsend <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

With my DWG hat on, my view is the data working group should be for resolving conflicts and helping deal with harmful edits or people acting in bad faith, not as a "the map is wrong please fix it for me" service. If there is something wrong on the map, generally people should be first directed to edit in OSM or if they are not comfortable by adding a note, not asking DWG to get involved in mapping.

AllTrails support team are directing people who are reporting issues with OSM data to DWG directly, but instead I'd prefer they direct people to https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Beginners%27_guide or some other landing page for prospective mappers.

On 20/08/2020 14:43, Mike Thompson wrote:
> From Ron's quick and positive response to the attribution issue I am
> guessing he might be open to having a discussion about these other
> issues. Once the attribution issue is actually fixed, should I send
> him a note along those lines? Would you (Andy) be the appropriate
> contact for that discussion?

Yes, that'd be great, and I'd be happy to be involved in any discussions.

The https://www.openstreetmap.org/fixthemap landing page is probably the
best one right now for "the map is wrong" questions (better than
https://www.openstreetmap.org/help in this instance I'd suggest).  I'm
not aware of any wiki page that explains the whole "OpenStreetMap
contains all sorts of information, including private roads, and it's up
to mapmakers to display information appropriately to their users" thing,
but I could be wrong.

Best Regards,

Andy

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Martijn van Exel-3
Curious anecdote: some AllTrails user apparently looked up a phone
number for OSM US and called up Maggie. Turns out the complaint was
about a trail that I originally mapped *blush*. In my defense, that was
9 years ago, I haven't been to that part of town much since I moved, and
nobody else updated the trail, which has since disappeared.

Here is the changeset in case you're interested:

Martijn

On 8/19/2020 3:44 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:

> Hey Mike,
> They definitely mention OSM, even call us a partner [1] but like you
> found their basemap is definitely OSM. Instead of suggesting their
> users edit OSM, they instead instruct them to email
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
>
> All Trails is located in SF but I couldn't find any listing of a
> leadership team.
>
> Do you want to ask on Slack? Someone there might have a connection.
>

> [1]
> https://support.alltrails.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018930672-How-do-I-update-or-change-information-about-a-trail-
>
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Mike Thompson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their
>     use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM
>     Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map
>     Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that
>     layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some
>     rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in
>     AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
>     Mike
>
>     [0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name
>     of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)

> @osm_washington
> www.snowandsnow.us <https://www.snowandsnow.us>

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

SimonPoole
To add to what Andy has already said, complaints about people using
private paths etc are relatively common, not a large number in absolute
terms, but there tend to be a couple each month which either land with
the DWG, or LWG, or naturally with the local community (I've handled a
couple of them with a different hat on locally, but they are rare).

AllTrails is just one of a handful of sources for such issues. I suspect
that it is simply that such ways that are not part of the public road
network tend to be less stable and sometimes not as well surveyed that
makes this more likely to happen. On top of that right of way and access
legislation tends to differ widely among countries, and what is
completely OK in one may find you at the wrong end of a shotgun in
another and that AllTrails et al are not very good in reflecting that.
Example:  highway=track in the UK, which should probably default to
access=private, but here and say in DE, in general would always have
public access except if signposted differently or gated.

Simon

Am 22.08.2020 um 00:33 schrieb Martijn van Exel:

> Curious anecdote: some AllTrails user apparently looked up a phone
> number for OSM US and called up Maggie. Turns out the complaint was
> about a trail that I originally mapped *blush*. In my defense, that
> was 9 years ago, I haven't been to that part of town much since I
> moved, and nobody else updated the trail, which has since disappeared.
>
> Here is the changeset in case you're interested:
>
> Martijn
>
> On 8/19/2020 3:44 PM, Clifford Snow wrote:
>> Hey Mike,
>> They definitely mention OSM, even call us a partner [1] but like you
>> found their basemap is definitely OSM. Instead of suggesting their
>> users edit OSM, they instead instruct them to email
>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>,
>>
>> All Trails is located in SF but I couldn't find any listing of a
>> leadership team.
>>
>> Do you want to ask on Slack? Someone there might have a connection.
>>

>> [1]
>> https://support.alltrails.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018930672-How-do-I-update-or-change-information-about-a-trail-
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Mike Thompson <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their
>>     use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM
>>     Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map
>>     Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that
>>     layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some
>>     rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in
>>     AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
>>     Mike
>>
>>     [0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name
>>     of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
>>

>> --
>> @osm_washington
>> www.snowandsnow.us <https://www.snowandsnow.us>
>> OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Default access rights (was: Re: Use of OSM data without attribution)

Andy Townsend
On 22/08/2020 08:56, Simon Poole wrote:
> To add to what Andy has already said, complaints about people using
> private paths etc are relatively common, not a large number in absolute
> terms, but there tend to be a couple each month which either land with
> the DWG, or LWG, or naturally with the local community (I've handled a
> couple of them with a different hat on locally, but they are rare).

Over the last 6 months the DWG's had 46 tickets created mentioning
"Alltrails".  Others will go elsewhere (e.g. as Martijn described
previously).  For comparison we've had 19 directly mentioning
"instagram" in that period (though that may undercount - we sometimes
see complaints about "your map" from users of Facebook properties where
it's not immediately clear what map they're complaining about, and what
data on that map.

> AllTrails is just one of a handful of sources for such issues. I suspect
> that it is simply that such ways that are not part of the public road
> network tend to be less stable and sometimes not as well surveyed that
> makes this more likely to happen. On top of that right of way and access
> legislation tends to differ widely among countries, and what is
> completely OK in one may find you at the wrong end of a shotgun in
> another and that AllTrails et al are not very good in reflecting that.
> Example:  highway=track in the UK, which should probably default to
> access=private, but here and say in DE, in general would always have
> public access except if signposted differently or gated.

Yes - and it's even more confusing than that!  In Scotland (part of the
UK but with a separate legal system) there is a "freedom to roam
responsibly" similar to the Swedish "allemansrätten".  in the US there
has been discussion going on about how people should tag imagery-derived
service roads and how people should interpret that tagging state by state.

Best Regards,

Andy

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 2:02 PM Mike Thompson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone tried contacting the AllTrails[0] people about their use of OSM without attribution?  I am not talking about the "OSM Map Layer" that they offer, but rather the default "AllTrails Map Layer."  At the very least it appears that the trails on that layer come from OSM.  I know that because I have entered some rather obscure informal trails in OSMe, and they show up in AllTrails just as I entered them in OSM.
Mike

[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
It looks like AllTrails now correctly attributes OpenStreetMap.  Those of you more familiar with the licensing might want to chime in and let me know if simply stating "(c) OpenStreetMap" instead of "(c) OpenStreetMap Contributors" is adequate (also, keep in mind that only some of their map data comes from OSM).  If it is adequate, I will send Ron a note thanking him, and starting the conversation between him and the DWG about AllTrails directing data issues directly to the DWG.

Mike

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

General Discussion mailing list
[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
It looks like AllTrails now correctly attributes OpenStreetMap.  Those of you more familiar with the licensing might want to chime in and let me know if simply stating "(c) OpenStreetMap" instead of "(c) OpenStreetMap Contributors" is adequate (also, keep in mind that only some of their map data comes from OSM).  If it is adequate, I will send Ron a note thanking him, and starting the conversation between him and the DWG about AllTrails directing data issues directly to the DWG.

Yes, it's fine

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

General Discussion mailing list
AFAIK such text should be perfectly fine
as long as it is clear displayed
(not deeply hidden in weird menu,
not hidden behind basically never clicked
buttons and so on).

ODBL requires to make users aware of
source and license, it does not mandate
a specific text.

For example on my laser cut map I used
"Dane z OpenStreetMap na licencji ODBL"
as it will be used in way where Polish
would be clearly expected to be
understood.

10 Sep 2020, 18:07 by [hidden email]:
[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
It looks like AllTrails now correctly attributes OpenStreetMap.  Those of you more familiar with the licensing might want to chime in and let me know if simply stating "(c) OpenStreetMap" instead of "(c) OpenStreetMap Contributors" is adequate (also, keep in mind that only some of their map data comes from OSM).  If it is adequate, I will send Ron a note thanking him, and starting the conversation between him and the DWG about AllTrails directing data issues directly to the DWG.

Yes, it's fine

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

Mike Thompson
Thanks Kathleen and Mateusz!

I will thank Ron for the change and try to start a dialog with our DWG about AllTrails asking their users to contact the DWG directly with map errors.

Mike

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 5:21 AM Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIK such text should be perfectly fine
as long as it is clear displayed
(not deeply hidden in weird menu,
not hidden behind basically never clicked
buttons and so on).

ODBL requires to make users aware of
source and license, it does not mandate
a specific text.

For example on my laser cut map I used
"Dane z OpenStreetMap na licencji ODBL"
as it will be used in way where Polish
would be clearly expected to be
understood.

10 Sep 2020, 18:07 by [hidden email]:
[0] https://www.alltrails.com/ (in the search box enter the name of a trail, park, or city to see their map.)
It looks like AllTrails now correctly attributes OpenStreetMap.  Those of you more familiar with the licensing might want to chime in and let me know if simply stating "(c) OpenStreetMap" instead of "(c) OpenStreetMap Contributors" is adequate (also, keep in mind that only some of their map data comes from OSM).  If it is adequate, I will send Ron a note thanking him, and starting the conversation between him and the DWG about AllTrails directing data issues directly to the DWG.

Yes, it's fine

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

> On 11. Sep 2020, at 13:21, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For example on my laser cut map I used
> "Dane z OpenStreetMap na licencji ODBL"
> as it will be used in way where Polish
> would be clearly expected to be
> understood

will this limit the places where you can exhibit the work to Poland? Or would it be sufficient attribution also for a display in e.g. London?

Cheers Martin

Re: Use of OSM data without attribution

General Discussion mailing list

11 Sep 2020, 18:18 by [hidden email]:

sent from a phone
On 11. Sep 2020, at 13:21, Mateusz Konieczny via talk <[hidden email]> wrote:

For example on my laser cut map I used
"Dane z OpenStreetMap na licencji ODBL"
as it will be used in way where Polish
would be clearly expected to be
understood

will this limit the places where you can exhibit the work to Poland?
Or more specifically to places where all people can be
assumed to be able to understand
Polish.

It should be easy to find places in
Poland where many do not understand
Polish at all (airports for start).

In this case it is a gift for a friend so it
should be fine, I think.

It would be interesting who would
be in violation if that plywood piece would
be displayed publicly in place where this
assumption would not hold true.

I am quite curious about answers but
not enough to spend £€¥ on a lawyer.
Or would it be sufficient attribution also for a display in e.g. London?
Probably no, but I am not a lawyer,
and also not someone able to answer
is meaning clear for English-only speaker.

So I am not certain but I assume that answer is "no".