Use of tags land_area=administrative and type=land_area?

Use of tags land_area=administrative and type=land_area?

Joseph Eisenberg
It looks like someone has made a page for type=land_area (to be used
with land_area=administrative):

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relation:land_area - created
07:08, 27 January 2015‎ by Geozeisig

"Relations of type land_area are used to represent administrative
boundary of the landmass."
"for coastline and real boundaries on land"

The tag type=land_area is used on only 187 relations, although it has
been mentioned on the Relation:boundary page for years. Perhaps it is
only being used for admin_level=2 borders?

Is this tag being used by any database users?

More commonly, there are 5 447 uses of land_area=administrative
according to taginfo but this tag has no documentation.

Does anyone know how this tag is used by mappers and if any database
end-users are implementing this tag?

Re: Use of tags land_area=administrative and type=land_area?

> On 2. Jun 2019, at 02:29, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The tag type=land_area is used on only 187 relations, although it has
> been mentioned on the Relation:boundary page for years. Perhaps it is
> only being used for admin_level=2 borders?
>
> Is this tag being used by any database users?

not sure it is used by any consumer, but it shouldn’t be impossible to generate it automatically if needed, you only would have to exclude the territorial waters from the country.
I would support a proposal which drops these and asks people to refrain from mapping them explicitly.

Cheers, Martin