Victorian Street names source?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Victorian Street names source?

Kim Oldfield
Hi,

Is there a government resource which can be for Victorian street names in OSM?

I vaguely remember one being mentioned, but I can't find it now.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Victoria,_Australia#Street_data_sources suggests reading street signs, or using links which don't work: MMBW (link redirects to SLV home page) or Collins (link times out).

I'm trying to name way 180239086, part of which is called Pine Ave, but I'm not sure how much.

Regards,
Kim

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

John Berkers
Which editor are you using?

JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:


The Contributions page shows that VicMap Data is approved for use, with the DELWP having completed the CC-BY-4.0 waiver.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

JohnB

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:00 AM Kim Oldfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a government resource which can be for Victorian street names in OSM?

I vaguely remember one being mentioned, but I can't find it now.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Victoria,_Australia#Street_data_sources suggests reading street signs, or using links which don't work: MMBW (link redirects to SLV home page) or Collins (link times out).

I'm trying to name way 180239086, part of which is called Pine Ave, but I'm not sure how much.

Regards,
Kim
_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Andrew Harvey-3
On 30 April 2018 at 07:38, John Berkers <[hidden email]> wrote:
JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:

Is that standard or something you've added for your installation? I couldn't find it in the JOSM sources.

I've just sent off an email to clarify if VICNAMES is covered under the Vicmap data waiver.
 
The Contributions page shows that VicMap Data is approved for use, with the DELWP having completed the CC-BY-4.0 waiver.

That's right, we can use VicMap Data which includes VicMap Transport which has road names.


To make it easier I've downloaded the data through their shopping cart into https://tianjara.net/data/VICMAP/

You can download that, open it in something like QGIS and inspect the road data and names.


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

John Berkers
Andrew,

Just had a look at my JOSM settings.  Looks like it was a manual addition.  The settings are as follows:

Name: VICMAP Street Names
Imagery URL: tms:<a href="http://whoots.mapwarper.net:80/tms/{zoom}/{x}/{y}/WEB_MERCATOR/http://api.maps.vic.gov.au/geowebcacheWM/service/wms?VERSION=1.1.1&amp;TILED=true">http://whoots.mapwarper.net:80/tms/{zoom}/{x}/{y}/WEB_MERCATOR/http://api.maps.vic.gov.au/geowebcacheWM/service/wms?VERSION=1.1.1&TILED=true

I recall that this was posted on this forum at some point.  Looking at the URL, there might be a better way to do it with a WMS URL as well, through I am not sure.

Regards,

JohnB

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30 April 2018 at 07:38, John Berkers <[hidden email]> wrote:
JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:

Is that standard or something you've added for your installation? I couldn't find it in the JOSM sources.

I've just sent off an email to clarify if VICNAMES is covered under the Vicmap data waiver.
 
The Contributions page shows that VicMap Data is approved for use, with the DELWP having completed the CC-BY-4.0 waiver.

That's right, we can use VicMap Data which includes VicMap Transport which has road names.


To make it easier I've downloaded the data through their shopping cart into https://tianjara.net/data/VICMAP/

You can download that, open it in something like QGIS and inspect the road data and names.

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Ewen Hill
The WMS URL you need for JOSM is
http://api.maps.vic.gov.au/geowebcacheWM/service/wmts?REQUEST=getcapabilities

However as all things, there is a small caveat. It contains three layer
entries and you should not use the aerial imaging layer as this is not part
of what has been signed off.

Good luck. Let me know if it doesn't work as I can't test/confirm the above
currently.

Ewen



--
Sent from: http://gis.19327.n8.nabble.com/Australia-f5416966.html

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Arthur Geeson
In reply to this post by John Berkers

Are we able to use the house numbers in LASSI?

Regards - Arthur


On 30/04/18 07:38, John Berkers wrote:
Which editor are you using?

JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:


The Contributions page shows that VicMap Data is approved for use, with the DELWP having completed the CC-BY-4.0 waiver.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

JohnB

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:00 AM Kim Oldfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a government resource which can be for Victorian street names in OSM?

I vaguely remember one being mentioned, but I can't find it now.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Victoria,_Australia#Street_data_sources suggests reading street signs, or using links which don't work: MMBW (link redirects to SLV home page) or Collins (link times out).

I'm trying to name way 180239086, part of which is called Pine Ave, but I'm not sure how much.

Regards,
Kim
_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Andrew Harvey-3
On 30 April 2018 at 12:26, Arthur Geeson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are we able to use the house numbers in LASSI?

We have the required waiver to use the Vicmap Addresses data. The letter of the agreement only covers the data, not any web services. I presume the house numbers you see on their interactive maps are Vicmap Addresses, but strictly speaking we should only use the data directly.

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Kim Oldfield
In reply to this post by John Berkers


On 30/04/18 07:38, John Berkers wrote:
Which editor are you using?

iD, JOSM, and Vespucci - depending on where and what I'm trying to do.

JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:


That is great - it allowed me to easily confirm the street names for my original question.

The Contributions page shows that VicMap Data is approved for use, with the DELWP having completed the CC-BY-4.0 waiver.

What is "The Contributions page"?

Hope that helps.

Regards,

JohnB

On Mon, Apr 30, 2018 at 1:00 AM Kim Oldfield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there a government resource which can be for Victorian street names in OSM?

I vaguely remember one being mentioned, but I can't find it now.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Victoria,_Australia#Street_data_sources

Would someone like to update the above wiki page with the sources in this thread?
Given a lack of reference on authority to use I'm reluctant to update it myself.
Is there a better reference ("The Contributions page"?) which this page should point to?

suggests reading street signs, or using links which don't work: MMBW (link redirects to SLV home page) or Collins (link times out).

I'm trying to name way 180239086, part of which is called Pine Ave, but I'm not sure how much.

Regards,
Kim
_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au


_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Victorian Street names source?

Andrew Harvey-3
In reply to this post by Andrew Harvey-3
On 30 April 2018 at 10:11, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 30 April 2018 at 07:38, John Berkers <[hidden email]> wrote:
JOSM has an imagery layer for VicMap which shows street names from LASSI.  LASSI is more generally available here:

Is that standard or something you've added for your installation? I couldn't find it in the JOSM sources.

I've just sent off an email to clarify if VICNAMES is covered under the Vicmap data waiver.

Just heard back on this, VICNAMES is a subset of the Vicmap Features of Interest data, which is covered by the Vicmap Data products CC BY waiver. 

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au