Viewing Zoom Levels

Alan Bragg
How can I view the current "zoom level"​ in the JOSM editor or at the basic OSM website openstreetmap.org

Zoom levels are defined as numbers (1-19) at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Zoom_levels

I read a lot of messages talking about viewing details at at specific zoom levels.

The only place I see zoom level displayed is on my Galileo iphone app.

Thanks,
Alan

Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 19:55:14 -0700
From: Eric Fischer <[hidden email]>
To: OpenStreetMap US Talk <[hidden email]>
Subject: [Talk-us]
​​
TIGER tracing layer updated to 2015 release

Last week the US Census Bureau released the 2015 version of TIGER. This
afternoon I updated the data in the set of tracing tiles that Mapbox hosts.

As before, at zoom level 16 and up, it shows the complete TIGER streets,
and at zoom levels 12 through 15, it shows TIGER minus dynamically
subtracted OSM
so you can more easily find TIGER streets that are missing
in OSM.

The tile URL has not changed, so if you are using iD or another editor that
pulls from editor-imagery-index, you already have the new data. If not, you
can manually enter the tile URL:

Eric

Re: Viewing Zoom Levels

Clifford Snow

On Wed, Aug 26, 2015 at 5:47 AM, Alan Bragg <[hidden email]> wrote:
How can I view the current "zoom level"​ in the JOSM editor or at the basic OSM website openstreetmap.org

Zoom levels are defined as numbers (1-19) at http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Zoom_levels

I read a lot of messages talking about viewing details at at specific zoom levels.

Alan,
The zoom level is displayed on OSM in the url. For example, https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.46099/-122.33798 the zoom level is 17. Notice when you zoom in or out, the map= changes each time.

JOSM is a little more hidden, a right click on the background image gives the option of "Show Tile Info" with the zoom level indicated in the Tile Name.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Viewing Zoom Levels

Blake Girardot
Hi Alan,

In addition to how Clifford explains below, you can also double click on
the coordinates in the lower left of the JOSM screen. The resulting
dialog will have the same type of url with the zoom level in it in the
bottom field.

You can also edit that url to change the zoom level and then click "Jump
there" and you will zoom to that zoom level.

But wait there is more :)

You can copy/paste the standard OSM urls from and into that url field in
JOSM to share and trade locations with others.

Cheers,
Blake