Villages with no highways

john whelan-2
If you look in parts of Africa there are a number of villages on the map but no connecting highways.  Bing imagery is available for many of them that show highways that connect them.

Is there an easy way to pick them out?

Thanks John

Re: Villages with no highways

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 04/08/2018 10:16 PM, john whelan wrote:
> If you look in parts of Africa there are a number of villages on the map
> but no connecting highways.  Bing imagery is available for many of them
> that show highways that connect them.
>
> Is there an easy way to pick them out?

Not only that, someone has already picked them out:

https://resultmaps.neis-one.org/unmapped#5/47.100/9.800

Bye
Frederik

On 04/08/2018 10:26 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Not only that, someone has already picked them out:

Looking a bit more at the list, I wonder if we should maybe delete all
nodes that

* were imported before 2010 from GNS
* were never used since
* have a "fixme=no population estimate available, defaulted to village"
* and have no mapping in the vicinity

I have the impression that many of these nodes are stranded in the
wilderness between several, meanwhile-mapped, populated places, and the
danger of getting lost while trying to reach one of these places might
outweigh the advantage of having them.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Villages with no highways

Warin
In Papua New Guinea there are villages without roads ... people there travel by foot, plane or boat!

The terrain is such that vehicle roads, even for bicycles, is impractical.

I don't have detailed knowledge of Africa to say if these villages could be real or not... but I would hesitate to delete them without that knowledge.
Possibly question the original mapper or a mapper active locally or
failing any of that producing results demote them to locality and await a mapper with on ground experience.

On 09/04/18 06:31, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 04/08/2018 10:26 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Not only that, someone has already picked them out:
> Looking a bit more at the list, I wonder if we should maybe delete all
> nodes that
>
> * were imported before 2010 from GNS
> * were never used since
> * have a "fixme=no population estimate available, defaulted to village"
> * and have no mapping in the vicinity
>
> I have the impression that many of these nodes are stranded in the
> wilderness between several, meanwhile-mapped, populated places, and the
> danger of getting lost while trying to reach one of these places might
> outweigh the advantage of having them.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: Villages with no highways

pierzen
My experience from all the humanitarian responses. Yes, it is important to know the territory and adapt.

For the North of Mali humanitarian response in early 2013, people had difficulty to identify villages, flooded by water on the available images with the rainy season that last 6 months. In desertic regions it is also very difficult sometimes to spot houses if images are not clear enough.

For me this offers a good challenge, not to delete nodes but to find houses and add to OSM !

And yes, often, there are no roads in small african villages. Also in  some villages, we cannot identify what is private, what is public, and people walk in all directions. We need to observe an area, understand how it is organized.

Pierre

Le dimanche 8 avril 2018 17 h 08 min 47 s HAE, Warin <[hidden email]> a écrit :

In Papua New Guinea there are villages without roads ... people there travel by foot, plane or boat!

The terrain is such that vehicle roads, even for bicycles, is impractical.

I don't have detailed knowledge of Africa to say if these villages could be real or not... but I would hesitate to delete them without that knowledge.
Possibly question the original mapper or a mapper active locally or
failing any of that producing results demote them to locality and await a mapper with on ground experience.

On 09/04/18 06:31, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 04/08/2018 10:26 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> Not only that, someone has already picked them out:
> Looking a bit more at the list, I wonder if we should maybe delete all
> nodes that
>
> * were imported before 2010 from GNS
> * were never used since
> * have a "fixme=no population estimate available, defaulted to village"
> * and have no mapping in the vicinity
>
> I have the impression that many of these nodes are stranded in the
> wilderness between several, meanwhile-mapped, populated places, and the
> danger of getting lost while trying to reach one of these places might
> outweigh the advantage of having them.
>
> Bye
> Frederik

Re: Villages with no highways

john whelan-2
Looking at the methodology in the associated blog it appears to include villages that are connected with a path, track or tertiary highway and since it was run in 2016 may possibly be a little out of date.

Can anyone think of a JOSM search that would pick them out?

Thanks John

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"