Visualizing Bathymetry Data

Jan Saalbach
Dear all,
currently I am trying to set up a database to store bathymetry data
in. We have a couple hundred sets of data which are all structured in
the same way "x y z". Meaning x-coordinate, y-coordinate and z which
is depth in meters.

Since the data need to be visualized, edited and later on shared with
project partners, I thought I would set up a postGis database and a
mapserver and maybe some other applications when needed. After reading
about OGC conformal services such as WMS and other standards I managed
to get a postgreSQL database with postGis extension running and
downloaded uDig. Both 1.2rc3 and 1.1.

The thing I really can not figure out is how to get the (raw) data
into uDig and later on store them in the database. It would be great
to import them directly into uDig and visualize them right away.

Can this be done and if so, how? I am new to this whole gis-databse
stuff but it looks very promising for what I have in mind. Could
anyone please point me at the right track? or am I getting something
very basic wrong? Or is there any other place/forum I could ask for
help?

Regards,
Jan

uDig 1.2rc3
ubuntu 9.10
postgresql 8.4
postgis 1.5

Re: Visualizing Bathymetry Data

Jody Garnett-2
Hey Jan:

While uDig does not support this format we can still try and be helpful. I am reviewing the OSGeo live dvd and noticed a package that really looks like it suites your needs? http://download.osgeo.org/livedvd/doc-dev/overview/mb-system_overview.html

Jody