WML Library with reduced features

Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR]
Hi,

we originaly started using WebMapsLite (instead of OpenLayers for
example) because of the small size of the library.

Recently also WML grew quite remarkably. I guess this is due some
feature we do not use.

Is it possible to get a smaller version of the library for using in
speed optimized websites.

Best Regards,

Alexander

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: WML Library with reduced features

Vitaliy Grigoruk
Hi, Alexander.

Most probably that you're using "latest" version of Web Maps API (http://tile.cloudmade.com/wml/latest/web-maps-lite.js), which is currently linked to http://tile.cloudmade.com/wml/0.5/web-maps-lite.js
Of cause, library is growing in size due to new features development & bug fixes. But we always deploy new versions of Web Maps API to the separate location. Only link to "latest" is always changing.

So, you could use particular version of lib, e.g:
http://tile.cloudmade.com/wml/0.4/web-maps-lite.js
http://tile.cloudmade.com/wml/0.3/web-maps-lite.js
But those versions are not longer supported and their bugs will be fixed (or already fixed) only in latest version of API.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

we originaly started using WebMapsLite (instead of OpenLayers for
example) because of the small size of the library.

Recently also WML grew quite remarkably. I guess this is due some
feature we do not use.

Is it possible to get a smaller version of the library for using in
speed optimized websites.

Best Regards,

Alexander

Vitalii Grygoruk
Senior Software Tester / QA Engineer
Cogniance Inc.

Re: WML Library with reduced features

Vladimir Agafonkin
Hi Alexander,

You're absolutely right about WML growing in size - I forsaw such a tendency so one of the features we're planning to implement for next versions is a dynamic builder page with dependency tracking (with http://mootools.net/core being a big inspiration) that would allow you to build WML from several tens of modules by choosing what you want. Unfortunately at the moment there are more urgent tasks to do so this feature was delayed, but hopefully I'll get back to it in future.

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

we originaly started using WebMapsLite (instead of OpenLayers for
example) because of the small size of the library.

Recently also WML grew quite remarkably. I guess this is due some
feature we do not use.

Is it possible to get a smaller version of the library for using in
speed optimized websites.

Best Regards,

Alexander

Vladimir Agafonkin
Front-End Architect, CloudMade
+380 93 745 44 61

Re: WML Library with reduced features

Vladimir Agafonkin
By the way,

If we could build one separate light version of WML, what features would you need in it? What controls? Would you need geocoding, routing, KML/GeoRSS support, marker clustering, different sidebars, etc.?

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

we originaly started using WebMapsLite (instead of OpenLayers for
example) because of the small size of the library.

Recently also WML grew quite remarkably. I guess this is due some
feature we do not use.

Is it possible to get a smaller version of the library for using in
speed optimized websites.

Best Regards,

Alexander

Vladimir Agafonkin
Front-End Architect, CloudMade
+380 93 745 44 61

Re: WML Library with reduced features

Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR]
I personally need only the mini-controlls, no routing, no geocoding, no
KML/GeoRSS, no clustering.

Maybe you could PM me one :-) ?

Alexander

Vladimir Agafonkin wrote:

> By the way,
>
> If we could build one separate light version of WML, what features would
> you need in it? What controls? Would you need geocoding, routing,
> KML/GeoRSS support, marker clustering, different sidebars, etc.?
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Alexander Menk [mestrona GbR]
>
>     Hi,
>
>     we originaly started using WebMapsLite (instead of OpenLayers for
>     example) because of the small size of the library.
>
>     Recently also WML grew quite remarkably. I guess this is due some
>     feature we do not use.
>
>     Is it possible to get a smaller version of the library for using in
>     speed optimized websites.
>
>     Best Regards,
>
>     Alexander

> Vladimir Agafonkin
> Front-End Architect, CloudMade
> +380 93 745 44 61

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

  Alexander Menk

--
Mestrona GbR
Kuhweg 22

Telefon: +49 (0) 6132 7922-61
Telefax: +49 (0) 6132 7922-99

E-Mail: [hidden email]
Jabber: [hidden email]
WWW: http://www.mestrona.net

Gesellschafter:
Alexander Menk, Stephan Nachtsheim, Philipp Roos, Malte Stockmann

Diese Nachricht ist digital signiert. Manche Mailprogramme (z.B. Outlook
Express) versuchen digital signiert zu antworten, auch wenn das Programm
dafür nicht eingerichtet ist. Falls Sie Probleme beim Antworten haben
sollten, erstellen Sie bitte eine neue eMail an meine Adresse oder
deaktivieren Sie die digitale Signatur.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment