Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Vincent Bergeot
Hi,

in France (i don't know for the others country and it's one of the
reasons of this email) we have water collection points allowing
professionals to obtain water. It's sometime similar to a fire hydrant
(but green) and not used to fight fire.

Few examples :
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_BAYARD.jpg
-
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_d%27eau_-_Talence.jpg
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_verte.JPG

it's often on network of drinking water, there's fee or not, often green
in france

Please, what do you thing as a good way to tag it :

- emergency=fire_hydrant and usage=*
- amenity=hydrant and hydrant:type=*
- amenity=water_point
- ...

Thanks for your advices

--
Vincent Bergeot

Re: Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Mateusz Konieczny-3
1. Nov 2018 11:40 by [hidden email]:

in France (i don't know for the others country and it's one of the reasons of this email) we have water collection points allowing professionals to obtain water. It's sometime similar to a fire hydrant (but green) and not used to fight fire.

Few examples :
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_BAYARD.jpg
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_d%27eau_-_Talence.jpg
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_verte.JPG

It is for obtaining large amounts of water, right?

Re: Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Moritz
Hi Vincent,

> Please, what do you thing as a good way to tag it :
>
> - emergency=fire_hydrant and usage=*
> - amenity=hydrant and hydrant:type=*
> - amenity=water_point

I would not go for anything like emergency=fire_hydrant or
amenity=hydrant.
This would make people confuse these bornes with real fire hydrants
sooner or later.

As fire departments already use emergency=fire_hydrant it's to risky.

Also the wiki clearly states[0]:

> A fire hydrant in OSM is defined as a device to take water for
> firefightening purposes
> and it can be pressurized or not.

I would use

man_made=standpipe
colour=green
water_source=main

The wikipedia[1] indicates that standpipe is the proper term for this
thing.
According to taginfo[2] it is already in use (434x).

Moritz

[0]: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dfire_hydrant
[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe_(street)
[2]: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/man_made=standpipe#overview

Re: Water collection points (in french "Borne de puisage")

Kevin Kenny-3
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:25 AM Moritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would use

man_made=standpipe
colour=green
water_source=main

If you use that tag, make sure that you wikify it and discuss disambiguation, since 'standpipe' has many different meanings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe

I don't mind the choice of word - because all words are ambiguous. We simply have to document what *we* mean by it.

We should probably attach 'amenity=drinking_water' to standpipes that are potable water sources.

'emergency=dry_standpipe' or 'emergency=fire_hydrant fire_hydrant:type=wet_standpipe' could be used to document standpipes for firefighting. (Dry standpipes would need both the inlets and outlets marked; I'll leave it to someone else to work out the details, since I don't have any I plan to map.)

Standpipe water towers (like the ones in Chicago, Louisville, or Mannheim) are, of course, man_made=water_tower.

I don't foresee mapping standpipe piezometers, or standpipes on toilets, washing machines or oil derricks.

Le 01/11/2018 à 14:06, Mateusz Konieczny a écrit :
1. Nov 2018 11:40 by [hidden email]:

in France (i don't know for the others country and it's one of the reasons of this email) we have water collection points allowing professionals to obtain water. It's sometime similar to a fire hydrant (but green) and not used to fight fire.

Few examples :
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_BAYARD.jpg
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_d%27eau_-_Talence.jpg
- https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Borne_de_puisage_verte.JPG

It is for obtaining large amounts of water, right?

yes, it is

Le 01/11/2018 à 15:24, Moritz a écrit :
I would use

man_made=standpipe
colour=green
water_source=main

thanks, standpipe seems to be good !

Le 01/11/2018 à 15:47, Kevin Kenny a écrit :
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:25 AM Moritz <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would use

man_made=standpipe
colour=green
water_source=main

If you use that tag, make sure that you wikify it and discuss disambiguation, since 'standpipe' has many different meanings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standpipe

I don't mind the choice of word - because all words are ambiguous. We simply have to document what *we* mean by it.

We should probably attach 'amenity=drinking_water' to standpipes that are potable water sources.

yes and in other cases specify that it concerns standpipe for professionals

thank you

On 1. Nov 2018, at 15:47, Kevin Kenny <[hidden email]> wrote:

(Dry standpipes would need both the inlets and outlets marked; I'll leave it to someone else to work out the details, since I don't have any I plan to map.)

Cheers, Martin