Way has been simplified...

Sebastian Spiess
When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way has been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in green text.
Does anyone know what this means, why do we need the note? What purpose does it serve?

Re: Way has been simplified...

Warin
On 12/1/20 12:37 pm, Sebastian S. wrote:
> When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way
> has been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in
> green text.
> Does anyone know what this means, why do we need the note? What
> purpose does it serve?

This is usually from an import of data. The data may have many points
(nodes in OSM) that lead to data bloat.

JOSM has a tool that reduces the number of nodes such that any error
will be less than 3 meters from the original information, 'simplify way'.

It may be better to have these as 'comment=*' rather than 'note=*'? They
should only be for other mappers to see if they have some concern with
the data.

Re: Way has been simplified...

David Wales
By default OSMAnd shows things which may be of interest to mappers.

If you don't want to see these notes, you can turn the feature off.

On 12 January 2020 1:18:42 pm AEDT, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 12/1/20 12:37 pm, Sebastian S. wrote:
When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way
has been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in
green text.
Does anyone know what this means, why do we need the note? What
purpose does it serve?

This is usually from an import of data. The data may have many points
(nodes in OSM) that lead to data bloat.

JOSM has a tool that reduces the number of nodes such that any error
will be less than 3 meters from the original information, 'simplify way'.

It may be better to have these as 'comment=*' rather than 'note=*'? They
should only be for other mappers to see if they have some concern with
the data.
Talk-au mailing list

Re: Way has been simplified...

Andrew Davidson-3
On 12/1/20 12:37 pm, Sebastian S. wrote:
> When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way has
> been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in green text.
> Does anyone know what this means

It indicates that the number of points in the lines has been reduced by
removing the unnecessary ones, while keeping the simplified line within
3 m of the original.

, why do we need the note?

It is a requirement under the CC-BY 4.0 license to indicate if you
modified the licensed material.

Re: Way has been simplified...

Mateusz Konieczny-3

12 Jan 2020, 07:11 by [hidden email]:
On 12/1/20 12:37 pm, Sebastian S. wrote:
When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way has been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in green text.
Does anyone know what this means

It indicates that the number of points in the lines has been reduced by removing the unnecessary ones, while keeping the simplified line within 3 m of the original.

, why do we need the note?

It is a requirement under the CC-BY 4.0 license to indicate if you modified the licensed material.
Why CC-BY 4.0 is relevant? OSM data is ODBL and you cannot add data on incompatible licences.

And anyway, full history us available anyway.

Re: Way has been simplified...

Mateusz Konieczny-3

12 Jan 2020, 03:18 by [hidden email]:
On 12/1/20 12:37 pm, Sebastian S. wrote:
When using OSMAnd for routing I came across the following note: "way has been simplified using a error criteria of 3m" it is usually in green text.
Does anyone know what this means, why do we need the note? What purpose does it serve?

This is usually from an import of data. The data may have many points (nodes in OSM) that lead to data bloat.

JOSM has a tool that reduces the number of nodes such that any error will be less than 3 meters from the original information, 'simplify way'.

It may be better to have these as 'comment=*' rather than 'note=*'? They should only be for other mappers to see if they have some concern with the data.
I think that place for such notes is a changeset history. Is it maybe really old import
before changesets were added?

I would delete such notes and have changeset with
"original way geometry was simplified some time ago, unnecessary nodes were deleted"

Re: Way has been simplified...

Sebastian Spiess
Thanks all, I will probably have a look at OSMAnd settings as a first step.

When editing the note don't bother me too much.