Weirdness in Oslo

Håkon Enger
I discovered on the Oslo map some very strange street names not actually
existing in Oslo, such at "Matahimik", "Malinis", "Malumanay", "Masaya",
etc., see:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=59.94993950444798&lon=10.78930376200304&zoom=15

If I try to download the area in question in Josm, e.g. corresponding to

http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.4/map?bbox=10.77348839702741,59.93186629131058,10.813249323845195,59.94994346346738

I get (in addition to data from that part of Oslo) data from very remote
places on earth, not anywhere near Oslo. What is going on here?  It seems
that these streets in Oslo have become part of some completely unrelated
ways?

   Håkon

Re: Weirdness in Oslo

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Håkon Enger]
> I discovered on the Oslo map some very strange street names not
> actually existing in Oslo, such at "Matahimik", "Malinis",
> "Malumanay", "Masaya", etc., see:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=59.94993950444798&lon=10.78930376200304&zoom=15

As the one annotating that part of the map, I can confirm that it did
not look like that when I made it.

I guess someone messed up somewhere else, and used IDs located in
Oslo.  There have been rumors about applications clipping long lines
and ending up with bogus segment IDs, but I hoped those times were
behind us now.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

>> I discovered on the Oslo map some very strange street names not
>> actually existing in Oslo, such at "Matahimik", "Malinis",
>> "Malumanay", "Masaya", etc., see:
>>

>http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=59.94993950444798&lon=10.789303
>76200304&zoom=15
>
>As the one annotating that part of the map, I can confirm that it did
>not look like that when I made it.
>
>I guess someone messed up somewhere else, and used IDs located in
>Oslo.  There have been rumors about applications clipping long lines
>and ending up with bogus segment IDs, but I hoped those times were
>behind us now.

See my post of yesterday on this one.

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2007-June/014512.html

The reason is known, although user tools for rectifying when they occur may
take a little longer.

Cheers

Andy

Andy Robinson