What I'm working on

Nick Whitelegg-2

Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know what I'm working on in case you're
interested. In approximate order of priority:

1. Writing code to export Freemap maps (code which could be applied to
OpenStreetMap as a whole potentially) in "Polish" format. As some of you
may be aware "Polish" format is a format which is used by the cGPSmapper
software to generate base maps suitable for Garmin receivers. In other
words this will allow a user to upload (the principal features of) Freemap
maps to their Garmin GPS. Thus someone out walking will easily be able to
use their Garmin GPS and Freemap/OpenStreetMap data to find out whether
they're on the right path. As far as I'm aware this is only possible in the
USA and Canada at the moment - Garmin's MapSource maps do not provide
footpath (trail) data for the UK.

2. Looking at the possibility of an "AJAX" (look on Google) and SVG
rich-client based mapping interface, again initially for Freemap but with
possible application to OpenStreetMap as a whole.

The idea is to allow more maintainable, clean client/server separated, code
and reduce load on the server. The AJAX idea is as follows: JavaScript on
the client side can make an HTTP request to the server *at any point* (not
just when requesting a new HTML page) and the server can then respond with
arbitrary data - XML, HTML or anything else. This data can then be
processed by the JavaScript on the client side, using the DOM to change the
contents of the page, and, excitingly, also any SVG images embedded on the
page. (Since SVG is XML you can just use the DOM to access the SVG image).
With a bit of thought I can easily see the potential for interactive
rich-client mapping applications fully using standard web techniques and
protocols - no proprietary plug ins like Flash needed.

Firefox 1.1 will have SVG support to this level, the preview "Deer Park
Alpha 2" can already do it on Linux and Windows.

3. Refine osm-editor into a complete standalone GPX editor and
OpenStreetMap client (once the backend has been converted to Ruby and the
key-value system is ready for use) and also a standalone "landscape
browser" (the inclusion of Landsat and contours has suggested this possible
use to me).

Once the key/value system is ready transfer Freemap data to the
Openstreetmap database.

So if anyone fancies hacking on any of that lot....

Nick

Re: What I'm working on

Jo Walsh
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 12:42:48PM +0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:
> 2. Looking at the possibility of an "AJAX" (look on Google) and SVG
> rich-client based mapping interface, again initially for Freemap but with
> possible application to OpenStreetMap as a whole.

Given it takes off, i think it'd be a massive win to implement the
Google Maps API on top of osm / freemap / mapserver / whathaveyou.
http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/
Chasing the updates would be a pain though, and this could wait until
their API reaches v1.5 or 2.

For pre-caching tiles, it's worth looking at Anselm Hook's work for
civicactions, http://maps.civicactions.net/ , a google-maps-nature UI
implementation. It bypasses projection problems by just using WGS84.
which looks terribly at high latitudes - google's UK maps look subtly
wrong to me, and good luck not being laughed at in Finland.

zx

Re: What I'm working on

Tom Carden
> 2. Looking at the possibility of an "AJAX" (look on Google) and SVG
> rich-client based mapping interface, again initially for Freemap but with
> possible application to OpenStreetMap as a whole.

http://maps.civicactions.net/ is an opensource implementation that just
needs your server to be able to supply images given a lat/lon bounding box
and a width and height.  It's careful with the precision so you can
implement caching (lots of info on the page...).  You might also want to
look at ka-map for a similar implementation.

A note on SVG - after some experimenting with vector graphics of maps I
imagine you'd still want to cache some data as images anyway for
performance, and this may as well be done on the server.

Tom.

Re: What I'm working on

frank mohr
Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Just thought I'd let you know what I'm working on in case you're
> interested. In approximate order of priority:
>
> 1. Writing code to export Freemap maps (code which could be applied to
> OpenStreetMap as a whole potentially) in "Polish" format. As some of you
> may be aware "Polish" format is a format which is used by the cGPSmapper
> software to generate base maps suitable for Garmin receivers. In other
> words this will allow a user to upload (the principal features of) Freemap
> maps to their Garmin GPS. Thus someone out walking will easily be able to
> use their Garmin GPS and Freemap/OpenStreetMap data to find out whether
> they're on the right path. As far as I'm aware this is only possible in the
> USA and Canada at the moment - Garmin's MapSource maps do not provide
> footpath (trail) data for the UK.

wouldn't it be easier (and a more general approach) to export
to shapefiles
as i read the cGPSmapper description, it also imports shapefiles

frank

Re: What I'm working on

Nick Whitelegg-2

Frank Mohr <[hidden email]>@vr.ucl.ac.uk on 15/07/2005 13:22:57

Sent by:    [hidden email]

To:    Nick Whitelegg <[hidden email]>
cc:    [hidden email]
Subject:    Re: [Openstreetmap] What I'm working on

>wouldn't it be easier (and a more general approach) to export
>to shapefiles
>as i read the cGPSmapper description, it also imports shapefiles

Maybe but: a) Polish format is the "lingua franca" of cGPSmapper and b)
that would require more research and I've already got quite a few things on
the go right now :-) (see other thread)

Nick

Re: What I'm working on

Schuyler Erle

> >wouldn't it be easier (and a more general approach) to export
> >to shapefiles
> >as i read the cGPSmapper description, it also imports shapefiles
>
> Maybe but: a) Polish format is the "lingua franca" of cGPSmapper and b)
> that would require more research and I've already got quite a few things on
> the go right now :-) (see other thread)

Not that I can claim to have the time myself, but ESRI Shapefiles are
the lingua franca of, er, every other GIS applications out there, and
having read the spec, I can assure you that they're *simple*, possibly
every bit as a simple as Polish format. You can get the PDF of the
spec directly from ESRI (it's short) and you can use Frank Warmerdam's
excellent shapelib library to write them. Trust me, it's simple. :-)

SDE

Re: What I'm working on

frank mohr
Schuyler Erle wrote:

>>>wouldn't it be easier (and a more general approach) to export
>>>to shapefiles
>>>as i read the cGPSmapper description, it also imports shapefiles
>>
>>Maybe but: a) Polish format is the "lingua franca" of cGPSmapper and b)
>>that would require more research and I've already got quite a few things on
>>the go right now :-) (see other thread)
>

> Not that I can claim to have the time myself, but ESRI Shapefiles are
> the lingua franca of, er, every other GIS applications out there, and
> having read the spec, I can assure you that they're *simple*, possibly
> every bit as a simple as Polish format. You can get the PDF of the
> spec directly from ESRI (it's short) and you can use Frank Warmerdam's
> excellent shapelib library to write them. Trust me, it's simple. :-)

and there are wrapper-libs for most script languages (Perl, python, TCL)

I wrote a converter for gns_data files
(ftp://nima.mil/ftp.nima.mil/pub/gns_data/)
in 70 lines of perl .. where about 50 lines are just the documented
data-definition for the dbf file

BTW. i was thinking about a tool to convert Polish format to shape

frank