What data is useful - request for ideas

Bob Cameron

I don't do much OSM editing, but being permanently on the road in Australia I take Mapillary images that are a useful information layer.

I would like to get an idea about what routes and features are useful for OSM editors, so that in my travels I can provide the best data.

- Up until December last year I only uploaded 1280x720 images. I am now doing 4K (3840x2160)
- Since mobile data costs are high I upload roughly every 3 months in NE NSW over NBN. The daily take is around 10-20GB.
- I do not traverse cities or large towns. I am mostly on country roads and in smaller towns
- I am currently near St George Qld going towards Griffith then up to Armidale in late May. I then embark for WA through Broken Hill, do some circling on the Eyre Peninsula, across to Norseman WA and probably the SW.
- I don't do off road, but gravel is okay.
- My username is bob3bob3. If you wish to check some of my 4K images, look around Armidale NSW and the Snowy.

Ideas please?

Thanks, Bob

Re: What data is useful - request for ideas

Andrew Harvey-3
The higher resolution images and more frequent capture when at highway speeds are very helpful for making sure street name signs get captured and are readable, often I see reports from downstream users about a street name being wrong in OSM, so having this in Mapillary helps provide some ground truth so we can update this in OSM.

Just having the street level imagery is very useful for validating edits and mapping road features like surface, speed limits, restrictions, turn lanes, lane counts, etc.

That said, having recent imagery is useful, so re-capturing existing areas every few months is helpful.

Only uploading every 3 months when you have a good connection is okay, I'll do the same, sometimes uploading imagery that's older than a few months since I'll hold it for upload until I have access to a faster upload connection.

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 21:58, Bob Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

David Dean
Hi Bob,

You're doing some great work with collecting imagery data with Mapillary. We really appreciate that sort of data available for armchair mapping.

I'd love to meet up for a coffee when you are back up in Armidale, and talk about your data collection process. I've been meaning to try and get some comprehensive coverage of Armidale in Mapillary, but haven't really made any proper moves in that direction just yet.

- David

On Tue, 7 May 2019 at 21:56, Bob Cameron <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Phil Wyatt

Nice work bob3bob3,

I wish I could spend that much time on the road. I also prefer the backroads rather than main drags and shoot with a GoPro at 0.5 second intervals. I also have Garmin Virbs which I have used for Mapillary. One thing that is useful in small towns is a cruise around the main and back streets with a camera at 90 degrees (I shoot over the road from the drivers side) to capture shop fronts etc. This can be useful for business points - the local butcher, hardware shop, addresses etc.

I tend to map randomly in OSM. Sometimes its mapping towns facing natural disasters (ie fires, floods, cyclones etc) and at other times just areas of interest - Outback stations I find on satellite imagery or obscure routes I have travelled in the past. Having Mapillary images helps immensely in these obscure places. It’s a way to pick up station names, road names and especially road surfaces.

Keep up the good word

Phil (aka tastrax)

Re: What data is useful - request for ideas

Sam Wilson
On 5/8/19 7:44 AM, Phil Wyatt wrote:
> One thing that is useful in small towns is a cruise around the main and back
> streets with a camera at 90 degrees (I shoot over the road from the
> drivers side) to capture shop fronts etc. This can be useful for
> business points - the local butcher, hardware shop, addresses etc.

I second this. It's great to have side-on imagery in lots of places. I
guess the main trick is to ensure you're going slow enough that things
aren't blurry.

Re: What data is useful - request for ideas

Bob Cameron

Thanks Andrew

I capture at 2fps with a BlackVue (via 30fps mp4). That was unfortunately a hard choice to do with the cost of the Internet connection. 5fps would have been nicer. Road name signs are then problematic not only from the framerate perspective, but that compression artefacts glug the image up somewhat. I have some more tests to do that might help that.

It should be relatively simple to code up for road surface type and width. I wonder if a tool will ever appear that allows autoregen on a per road segment basis? It would also have to know what do do about single lane sealed roads with large gravel shoulders. (common in many rural areas) When the sealed section goes it suddenly becomes dual lane gravel!

I am considering doing entire towns if they are 10 streets or less. I have to do it in both directions if sign data is needed though. I am also happy to do a more intense capture of a small area (say 5 or 10fps) on request.

On 7/5/19 11:34 pm, Andrew Harvey wrote:
[...]

Hi Phil

My old 1280x720 was setup for a rear quarter view for traffic sign capture. I was advised that the angle and shutter raster delay (slant) made detection problematic so I don't upload. I will however give it a try at 90 degrees. It's a USB webcam

On 8/5/19 9:44 am, Phil Wyatt wrote:

[...]

Sebastian S.
Came here to say something similar.
Mapillary has the option to indicate 45 deg to the left or right.
This might be an option for town centres instead of the 90 deg.

On 8 May 2019 10:08:16 am AEST, Sam Wilson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 5/8/19 7:44 AM, Phil Wyatt wrote:
One thing that is useful in small towns is a cruise around the main and back
streets with a camera at 90 degrees (I shoot over the road from the
drivers side) to capture shop fronts etc. This can be useful for
business points - the local butcher, hardware shop, addresses etc.

I second this. It's great to have side-on imagery in lots of places. I
guess the main trick is to ensure you're going slow enough that things
aren't blurry.
Talk-au mailing list