What do I need?

Luke Mason

Hi,

We provide GPS tracking for fleets, and have a large amount of historical data.  We are mostly based in Australia, and some of our clients have provided us with hires ECW images of their sites.  I would like to generate tiles using the OSM data, except for where these ECW files are valid. There are 5 images, weighing in around 900megs all up.

After that’s sorted, I want to serve up maps with path and point data as an overlay.  Eg: displays of vehicle trips with speeding or accident sensor data highlighted. I can do this already using Google maps static, but we would like a bit more flexibility.  Where is the syntax/tools for doing this with OSM.  Every tool seems to be a rabbit warren leading on to 3 more tools.

Hope you can help,

Luke

Re: What do I need?

Iván Sánchez Ortega
On Miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 06:33:02 Luke Mason escribió:
> We provide GPS tracking for fleets, and have a large amount of historical
> data.  We are mostly based in Australia, and some of our clients have
> provided us with hires ECW images of their sites.  I would like to generate
> tiles using the OSM data, except for where these ECW files are valid. There
> are 5 images, weighing in around 900megs all up.

I guess you could extract the bounding boxes for those images with gdal_info,
but it would be much easier to set up a tilemill instance, load up a OSM
bright style, then put the ECW images *on top* of that, so that they hide the
underlaying OSM map.

> After that’s sorted, I want to serve up maps with path and point data as an
> overlay.  Eg: displays of vehicle trips with speeding or accident sensor
> data highlighted. I can do this already using Google maps static, but we
> would like a bit more flexibility.  Where is the syntax/tools for doing
> this with OSM.  Every tool seems to be a rabbit warren leading on to 3 more
> tools.

Yup. In the world of geo, you need to use an array of tools, not a magical
one-size-fits-all tool.

IMHO, one of your best bets is tilemill. You can load up some OSM extract,
apply the OSM bright style, put some raster data on top (maybe convert those
ECWs to another format to do so), then overlay your speed/accident data in
another layer.

Best,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Re: What do I need?

Luke Mason
On Miércoles, 20 de febrero de 2013 06:33:02 Luke Mason escribió:
[snip]

I guess you could extract the bounding boxes for those images with
gdal_info, but it would be much easier to set up a tilemill instance, load
up a OSM bright style, then put the ECW images *on top* of that, so that
they hide the underlaying OSM map.

Extracting the bounding boxes seems like exactly the way to go.  I've seen
the output of gdal_info and that seems quite straightforward.  How do I then
use that in the way you have implied?

We used gdal_translate with ECW support to extract the images to Geotiffs.
The images increased in size dramatically - 27.6Mb to 1.2Gb in one case.  I
don't want to load a layer that big in size if I can avoid it.

[snip]

Yup. In the world of geo, you need to use an array of tools, not a magical
one-size-fits-all tool.

IMHO, one of your best bets is tilemill. You can load up some OSM extract,
apply the OSM bright style, put some raster data on top (maybe convert those
ECWs to another format to do so), then overlay your speed/accident data in
another layer.

Unfortunately the overlay layers will be dynamic requests, and probably
wouldn't be suitable for a desktop application.  Eg: We generate a report
with X incidents.  Each incident has a link to the mapserver that shows the
data.

Best,
--
Iván Sánchez Ortega <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>

Regards,

Luke