What's wrong with this picture?

Andrew Errington-2
This macro tile seems to be infected by the sea:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.0742&lon=126.8671&zoom=13&layers=C

All tiles below it are rendered with a blue tinge.

The rendering artifact is not present on the new 'Transport' layer (which
is very nice, by the way).

I had a quick look at the data in the top left corner of the bad tile, but
there's nothing obvious.  It's also strange that the top left corner of
the tile is 'sliced off'.

I didn't know whether to send a message to Andy Allan directly, so I
decided to post here.

Um, I guess I want someone to fix it, or tell me what's wrong and I will
fix it.

Best wishes,

Andrew

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Yves
It seems that there was a problem with the coastline there. When the
coastline is broken, this can flood such an area.
As other maps are not affected, I tend to think that the problem was
solved, so you need to wait for OpenCycleMap to refresh these tiles.
Yves

On 08. 12. 11 03:36, Andrew Errington wrote:

> This macro tile seems to be infected by the sea:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.0742&lon=126.8671&zoom=13&layers=C
>
> All tiles below it are rendered with a blue tinge.
>
> The rendering artifact is not present on the new 'Transport' layer (which
> is very nice, by the way).
>
> I had a quick look at the data in the top left corner of the bad tile, but
> there's nothing obvious.  It's also strange that the top left corner of
> the tile is 'sliced off'.
>
> I didn't know whether to send a message to Andy Allan directly, so I
> decided to post here.
>
> Um, I guess I want someone to fix it, or tell me what's wrong and I will
> fix it.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Sax-Barnett, Melelani

I’ve actually noticed the same problem over in Portland, Oregon, USA as well. In our case, it looks like the river is bleeding out to the north and west, and it’s not even square-shaped. Very strange.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.266&lon=-122.763&zoom=10&layers=C

Thanks,

Mele Sax-Barnett

TriMet Regional Trip Planner Intern

Portland, OR

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

dieterdreist
a similar problem is also observable for some weeks in the current
medium zoom mapnik tiles of southern Italy:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=38.276&lon=16.347&zoom=9&layers=M

cheers,

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

David Groom

2011/12/9 David Groom <[hidden email]>:
> Someone had been "tidying" up the coastline and making it part of admin
> boundaries, but they had managed to get the direction of the coastline ways
> wrong. I fixed this some weeks ago, so it should render OK the next time the
> coastline files are updates

Thank you. I tried to mark some (most?) of the affected tiles as
dirty, but I am not sure if this works for low-zoom as well.

cheers,

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Robert Kaiser
Sax-Barnett, Melelani schrieb:
> I've actually noticed the same problem over in Portland, Oregon, USA as well. In our case, it looks like the river is bleeding out to the north and west, and it's not even square-shaped. Very strange.
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.266&lon=-122.763&zoom=10&layers=C

Is the square between Savannah and Augusta in Mapnik the same problem?
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.87&lon=-81.31&zoom=8&layers=M

Robert Kaiser

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

David Groom

>> Someone had been "tidying" up the coastline and making it part of admin
>> boundaries, but they had managed to get the direction of the coastline
>> ways
>> wrong. I fixed this some weeks ago, so it should render OK the next time
>> the
>> coastline files are updates
>

> Thank you. I tried to mark some (most?) of the affected tiles as
> dirty, but I am not sure if this works for low-zoom as well.

I'm not sure either, but even the higher zoom tiles if re-rendered will not
look OK unless the coastline shapefile has been updated recently

David

> cheers,
> Martin

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

David Groom

>> I've actually noticed the same problem over in Portland, Oregon, USA as
>> well. In our case, it looks like the river is bleeding out to the north
>> and west, and it's not even square-shaped. Very strange.
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.266&lon=-122.763&zoom=10&layers=C
>
> Is the square between Savannah and Augusta in Mapnik the same problem?
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=32.87&lon=-81.31&zoom=8&layers=M

A re-render of the level 9 tiles in that area has fixed the problem at that
zoom level, so I assume the underlying problem with data no longer exists

David

> Robert Kaiser

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

Michal Migurski
On Dec 9, 2011, at 3:29 AM, David Groom wrote:

> Martin
>
> Someone had been "tidying" up the coastline and making it part of admin boundaries, but they had managed to get the direction of the coastline ways wrong. I fixed this some weeks ago, so it should render OK the next time the coastline files are updates

David, thanks for continuing to check up on coastline errors!

I recently made some updates to the code behind the Metro Extracts (http://metro.teczno.com) that pushes the coastline files through PostGIS and hunts down additional errors there. Many aren't interesting (nested holes) but some do lead to bugs in PostGIS and Mapnik's ability to render tiles, self-intersections being the largest problem. I'll be updating the site with new error shapefiles when the process stops running over the next 24 hours.

The code:
        https://github.com/migurski/Extractotron/blob/master/coastline-errors.sh

I've also been maintaing a coastline table that contains only last-known good tiles, so it might have out-of-date areas but generally good-looking coastlines everywhere. You can see that here:
        http://tile.stamen.com/terrain-background/preview.html

Just need to get southern Chesapeake Bay replaced, I think I fixed the problem in changeset #10030763.

-mike.

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

David Groom

> On Dec 9, 2011, at 3:29 AM, David Groom wrote:
>
>> Martin
>>
>> Someone had been "tidying" up the coastline and making it part of admin
>> boundaries, but they had managed to get the direction of the coastline
>> ways wrong. I fixed this some weeks ago, so it should render OK the next
>> time the coastline files are updates
>

> David, thanks for continuing to check up on coastline errors!
>
> I recently made some updates to the code behind the Metro Extracts
> (http://metro.teczno.com) that pushes the coastline files through PostGIS
> and hunts down additional errors there. Many aren't interesting (nested
> holes) but some do lead to bugs in PostGIS and Mapnik's ability to render
> tiles, self-intersections being the largest problem. I'll be updating the
> site with new error shapefiles when the process stops running over the
> next 24 hours.

It will be interesting to see how many errors that highlights

David

On Dec 12, 2011, at 8:38 AM, David Groom wrote:

>> I recently made some updates to the code behind the Metro Extracts (http://metro.teczno.com) that pushes the coastline files through PostGIS and hunts down additional errors there. Many aren't interesting (nested holes) but some do lead to bugs in PostGIS and Mapnik's ability to render tiles, self-intersections being the largest problem. I'll be updating the site with new error shapefiles when the process stops running over the next 24 hours.
>
> It will be interesting to see how many errors that highlights

A few sample errors:
        http://tile.stamen.com/coastline-next/preview.html#7/46.844/-86.764

The two pink "2's" were identified by the coastline error checker, and (I think) indicate an island with part of its coastline facing away from the water. The three green "X's" represent self-intersections picked up by PostGIS, and if you zoom in more closely you'll see where they are to fix them. I've recently fixed up a number of self-intersections around South America, Mexico and the US:
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/migurski/edits

The data for this view is linked here:
        http://metro.teczno.com/#coastline

…and the stylesheets are here:
        https://github.com/migurski/Extractotron/tree/master/coastline-preview

I hope to keep this view up to date regularly, though it's possible I'll forget from time to time. I've been watching edits near these points and there are a few mappers getting to them before I do:
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dmgroom_ct/edits
        http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/PA94/edits

I've been dating blocks from versions of the coastline, they can be viewed here:
        http://tile.stamen.com/coastline-current/preview.html#8/46.106/-84.303

-mike.

Re: What's wrong with this picture?

David Groom

Mike,

thanks for the new shapefiles, they will be very useful

> A few sample errors:
> http://tile.stamen.com/coastline-next/preview.html#7/46.844/-86.764
>
> The two pink "2's" were identified by the coastline error checker, and (I
> think) indicate an island with part of its coastline facing away from the
> water. The three green "X's" represent self-intersections picked up by
> PostGIS, and if you zoom in more closely you'll see where they are to fix
> them. I've recently fixed up a number of self-intersections around South
> America, Mexico and the US:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/migurski/edits
>
> The data for this view is linked here:
> http://metro.teczno.com/#coastline
>
> …and the stylesheets are here:
> https://github.com/migurski/Extractotron/tree/master/coastline-preview
>
> I hope to keep this view up to date regularly, though it's possible I'll
> forget from time to time. I've been watching edits near these points and
> there are a few mappers getting to them before I do:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/dmgroom_ct/edits
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/PA94/edits

PA94 certainly seems to have got started on these quickly :)

David