Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Thomas Schröder-4
Hi *,

I am new to the openstreetmap and wonder what would be a good GPS
receiver. [The Scytex NaviGPS / Locosys (B)GT-11 looks very nice and
small].
And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

tschuess
tom
--
Thomas Schroeder
170 Raeburn Street

Phone:  +61-2-3396 7698
Mobile: +61-4-0393 6500
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Thomas Sprinkmeier-2
On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 09:03 +1000, Thomas Schröder wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I am new to the openstreetmap and wonder what would be a good GPS
> receiver. [The Scytex NaviGPS / Locosys (B)GT-11 looks very nice and
> small].

> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

This question comes up every now and then, most recently:

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2008-September/thread.html

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2008-September/000934.html

"good" depends on requirements (screen, uploading maps, battery life,
waypoints, accuracy, price etc. etc.)

I've got the DG-100 and I'm happy with it (cheap, talks to gpsbabel, no
screen, minimal features). It's the only GPS I've ever had so I have
nothing to compare it to (ignorance may indeed be bliss :-)

> tschuess
> tom

servus,
Thomas
--
Reporter: "What do you think of Western Civilization?"
Gandhi  : "I think it would be a good idea!"

Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Hugh Barnes
On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:03:34 Thomas Schröder wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I am new to the openstreetmap and wonder what would be a good GPS
> receiver. [The Scytex NaviGPS / Locosys (B)GT-11 looks very nice and
> small].

Same as the other Thomas S, I have only owned one, a Garmin eTrex H. It was
the cheapest I could find, around $200, that would talk to gpsbabel around
April when I decided to bite the bullet. I always expected to outgrow it
within a year, but I'm still happy. Not even sure if they still sell this
model – you can probably get the next one up for the same or cheaper now.

You are welcome to borrow it for a week or so if you want to check these
things out. I'm in the inner south, or we can meet in town on a work day.

Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the Brisbane
mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you through it,
literally:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon/2008-10

Contact me privately if you fancy any of these options.

> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

I bought mine at Johnny Appleseed, which have branches at least in Salisbury
(Evans Road) and Buranda (Ipswich Road, near hospital). I have also noticed a
very promising looking "GPS wholesaler" in the Archerfield Airport business
precinct, which says it sells to the public. About here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-27.57177&lon=153.0138&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

(P.S. I just noticed the Wiki front page says the mapping party is Friday when
it should be Wednesday!)

Cheers

Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Thomas Schröder-4
Hi,

That sounds a good idea, I will be there.

tschuess
Thomas

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Hugh Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the Brisbane
> mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you through it,
> literally:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon/2008-10

--
Thomas Schroeder
170 Raeburn Street
Manly West, QLD 4179
Australia

Phone:  +61-2-3396 7698
Mobile: +61-4-0393 6500
eMail: [hidden email]

Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Stephen Hope
I can't make it, unfortunately.  I have a previous engagement.  Be
sure and tell us when the next one will be - Wednesdays are usually
good for me, just not this one.

Stephen

Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Kim Hawtin-2
Thomas Schröder wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I am new to the openstreetmap and wonder what would be a good GPS
> receiver. [The Scytex NaviGPS / Locosys (B)GT-11 looks very nice and
> small].
> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

I am using an eTrex, can't say that its particularly accurate.
You should see some of my GPS trails in OSM ... which is why I'm
not making them public! (yet)

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

Liz

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Stephen Hope wrote:
> I can't make it, unfortunately.  I have a previous engagement.

Ditto

Well actually, Kangaroo Island won, and that's where I'll be

I'd be pleased to meet some osm'ers one day

LIz

Liz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Stephen Hope wrote:
>> I can't make it, unfortunately.  I have a previous engagement.
>
> Ditto
>
> Well actually, Kangaroo Island won, and that's where I'll be
>
> I'd be pleased to meet some osm'ers one day

Praps there needs to be a mapping party or OSM-fest or OSM-pub/cafe/dinner
thing in SA then ?

Maybe we could also work in something with the FreeRunner guys,
many of them were interested in GPS trailing action given their new
shiny toys have a GPS in them =) I've had a couple ask me recently
about how they can contribute.

cheers,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

OSM events calendar, was Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Kim Hawtin-2
Hugh Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:03:34 Thomas Schröder wrote:
> Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the Brisbane
> mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you through it,
> literally:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon/2008-10
>
> Contact me privately if you fancy any of these options.
>
>> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).

Whats the right way to get events put into ;
  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Current_events

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations

Liz

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Kim Hawtin wrote:

> Liz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Stephen Hope wrote:
> >> I can't make it, unfortunately.  I have a previous engagement.
> >
> > Ditto
> >
> > Well actually, Kangaroo Island won, and that's where I'll be
> >
> > I'd be pleased to meet some osm'ers one day
>
> Praps there needs to be a mapping party or OSM-fest or OSM-pub/cafe/dinner
> thing in SA then ?
>
> Maybe we could also work in something with the FreeRunner guys,
> many of them were interested in GPS trailing action given their new
> shiny toys have a GPS in them =) I've had a couple ask me recently
> about how they can contribute.
>
> cheers,
>
> Kim

as you know, i'm closely related to one of those freerunner guys, and worse
still have one myself.

as it is, the software records a track with a lot of points, which gets
converted with a perl script to a gpx file.
then it needs thoughtful work to make it into a usable addition to the map.

there is an option to make an osm file with the perl script, but there are way
way too many points in such a file.

Sat 11th should see us in adelaide to visit the offspring before heading home
again

--
A man was griping to his friend about how he hated to go home after a
late card games.
        "You wouldn't believe what I go through to avoid waking my wife,"
he said.  "First, I kill the engine a block away from the house and coast
into the garage.  Then I open the door slowly, take off my shoes, and
tiptoe to our room.  But just as I'm about to slide into bed, she always
wakes up and gives me hell."
        "I make a big racket when I go home," his friend replied.
        "You do?"
        "Sure.  I honk the horn, slam the door, turn on all the lights,
stomp up to the bedroom and give my wife a big kiss.  `Hi, Alice,' I say.
`How about a little smooch for your old man?'"
        "And what does she say?" his friend asked in disbelief.
        "She doesn't say anything," his buddy replied.  "She always pretends
she's asleep."

Liz

Re: OSM events calendar, was Re: Which GPS receiver, Where to buy

Liz
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Kim Hawtin wrote:

> Hugh Barnes wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:03:34 Thomas Schröder wrote:
> > Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the Brisbane
> > mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you through
> > it, literally:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon/2
> >008-10
> >
> > Contact me privately if you fancy any of these options.
> >
> >> And where I can buy them (maybe in Brissi or online).
>
> Whats the right way to get events put into ;
>   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Current_events
>
> regards,
>
> Kim

at the bottom of the new wiki page
Category:Events|Mapping Party
Category: Events|Current events

is my suggestion

Liz

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Liz wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> > Hugh Barnes wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 01 October 2008 09:03:34 Thomas Schröder wrote:
> > > Even better — and this is my ulterior motive — come along to the
> > > Brisbane mapping party/marathon next week in New Farm and I'll walk you
> > > through it, literally:
> > > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Brisbane/Mapping_Party_Marathon
> > >/2 008-10
> > >
> > > Contact me privately if you fancy any of these options.

> > Whats the right way to get events put into ;
> >   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Current_events
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Kim
>
> at the bottom of the new wiki page