Which app./API for GIS application development

kon

Which app./API for GIS application development

kon
Hey Guys,

I'm currently developing an application with Postgres using the Postgis extension. Basically, I need to visualize some NMEA coordinates, that are stored in the database. For that, I was looking for some open source approaches. I found:

- uDig application
- GeoTools JAVA API

Any information is appreciated since I don't know if the uDig application gives me the needed functionality without having to much overhead. A summary of the feature, I would like to implement the following features:

- visualize NMEA coordinates
- load the appropriate map of the coordinates and use it as background

I'm new to the GIS topic and really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Kon

Re: Which app./API for GIS application development

Jody Garnett-2
uDig is built with geotools if that helps; what are NMEA coordinates?

To compare as a developer go through the initial round of documentation:
- http://geotools.org/documentation.html
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/1+Getting+Started

Note that uDig gives you a visual application to start working from;
geotools you need to build the application.

Jody

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:59 AM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm currently developing an application with Postgres using the Postgis extension. Basically, I need to visualize some NMEA coordinates, that are stored in the database. For that, I was looking for some open source approaches. I found:
>
> - uDig application
> - GeoTools JAVA API
>
> Any information is appreciated since I don't know if the uDig application gives me the needed functionality without having to much overhead. A summary of the feature, I would like to implement the following features:
>
> - visualize NMEA coordinates
> - load the appropriate map of the coordinates and use it as background
>
> I'm new to the GIS topic and really appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Kon

Re: Which app./API for GIS application development

Jesse Eichar
Hi Kon,

uDig is an application framework so it adds several dependencies that Geotools alone does not.  uDig uses Geotools for its geospatial handling.  So if you want a very light (small) application I would go for Geotools.  But for something more professional uDig is a better choice.

jesse

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 4:59 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Guys,

I'm currently developing an application with Postgres using the Postgis extension. Basically, I need to visualize some NMEA coordinates, that are stored in the database. For that, I was looking for some open source approaches. I found:

- uDig application
- GeoTools JAVA API

Any information is appreciated since I don't know if the uDig application gives me the needed functionality without having to much overhead. A summary of the feature, I would like to implement the following features:

- visualize NMEA coordinates
- load the appropriate map of the coordinates and use it as background

I'm new to the GIS topic and really appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Kon

Re: Which app./API for GIS application development

sddhrthr
Hi,
I need to develop a query engine which can take information related to different layers from different web services, & then I have to run a query on them.

e.g., Corresponding to a given area, my query engine has fetched 3 layers from 3 different Web Services.
1 layers has information about the road network.
Another has information about the railway network of that area.
3rd layer has information about the buildings in that area.

Now, I have to show on a map all the state highways( a feature of road networks) & all the railways networks withing 5 km of a particular building.

Will someone help me on how to implement this query engine???

Thanks
Siddharth