Why do city names display in the local language at osm.org?

Alan Bragg
​My preferred language is set to "en"
For example Florence Italy displays as Firenze even though it's tagged with many languages including en:Florence
I get the same display in both the  chrome and internet explorer browsers.

Re: Why do city names display in the local language at osm.org?

Steve Friedl

Mapping tiles are not generated on a per-user basis; they are generated for all users and shared.  The rendering software has to make intelligent decisions about how to make the maps look reasonable for everybody, and my suspicion is that things like city names are chosen from the local language of the country that the city is within, on the grounds that most people looking at a city live in the country.

It would be great if tiles were rendered customly for everybody (I’d be able to see elevations in feet instead of meters), but that’s not how this one works.

Steve

For example Florence Italy displays as Firenze even though it's tagged with many languages including en:Florence

I get the same display in both the  chrome and internet explorer browsers.

Re: Why do city names display in the local language at osm.org?

Toby Murray-2
Yeah, the tiles on osm.org just straight up render the name=* tag
which is supposed to contain the name of an object in the primary
language of the area that it is in.

I know Wikipedia has done some work on localizing maps. I believe the
way they do it is to render a map without any labels and then have
language-specific layers that have nothing but the names on them. The
client chooses which name layer to load on top of the label-less base
layer.

I'm guessing there are better ways to handle this if you go the route
of using vector tiles instead of bitmaps...

Toby

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 9:40 AM, Steve Friedl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mapping tiles are not generated on a per-user basis; they are generated for
> all users and shared.  The rendering software has to make intelligent
> decisions about how to make the maps look reasonable for everybody, and my
> suspicion is that things like city names are chosen from the local language
> of the country that the city is within, on the grounds that most people
> looking at a city live in the country.
>

> It would be great if tiles were rendered customly for everybody (I’d be able
> to see elevations in feet instead of meters), but that’s not how this one
> works.
>

> Steve

Marc Gemis
Jochen Topf has an experimental site where you can pick the language
for the tags, see http://mlm.jochentopf.com/

regards