Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Eugeny_B
Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name and --country-abbr=abbreviation,
that it can not take the country name from --bounds=directory|zipfile with
-code-page=number and -name-tag-list?

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Gerd Petermann

Hi Eugeny,

not sure what you mean. I think the two options are only needed when the bounds data
doesn't contain enough information to retrieve the country name. I see no direct relation
between country and code-page or country and name-tag-list.

Gerd

Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name and --country-abbr=abbreviation,
that it can not take the country name from --bounds=directory|zipfile with
-code-page=number and -name-tag-list?

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Greg Troxel-2

Eugeny_B <[hidden email]> writes:

> Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name and --country-abbr=abbreviation,
> that it can not take the country name from --bounds=directory|zipfile

My experience, not really figured out, is that objects inherit the given
country if they do not match anything from bounds (and probably, only if
they are not explicitly tagged).

I have not yet figured out how many objects get no country, when
building from the geofabrik US Northeast extract.  I also have not
figured out what happens to those objects in terms of the indexes when
there is no default country.

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Eugeny_B
I'm downloading the former USSR
http://data.gis-lab.info/osm_dump/dump/latest/local.osm.pbf and using mkgmap
I create a directory of borders.
Then I download the Leningrad Region
http://data.gis-lab.info/osm_dump/dump/latest/RU-LEN.osm.pbf and create a
gmapsupp without the options --country-name = name and --country-abbr =
abbreviation .
Device Nuvi 1310 Where-> Address-> Change country. shows 4 country names:
"SUOMI", "Russian Federation", "Country" in English and "Estonia" in
Russian.
If the Nuvi shows "Estonia" in Russian, that's why it doesn't show "Russia"
in Russian, and shows "Russian Federation" in English?

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Gerd Petermann
Hi Eugeny,

I think what you see in this list depends on the content of the  bounds file(s), your name-tag-list option,
the style, and the content of the osm input files. The string "Country" comes from the default for
country and missing information from the bounds. I think it happens when boundaries overlap.

When you are sure that all objects in the map are in one country you may add a rule to set
mkgmap:country to that name.
Hope this helps?

Gerd

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Eugeny_B
I apologize for my English, I use Google translator.
Yes, in the file RU-LEN.osm.pbf are the objects of 3 countries. I understand
that "Country" is wrong.
The question is different. I specify in the nations --code-page=1251 and
--name-tag-list=name:ru, name, name:en, int_name
"SUOMI" is correct (there is no Russian)
"Эстония" is correct (there is a Russian)
"Russian Federation" is wrong (there is a Russian "Россия")
Style Address
# ====================================================================
# first set the country code
# ====================================================================
mkgmap:country!=* & mkgmap:admin_level2=* { set
mkgmap:country='${mkgmap:admin_level2}' }
mkgmap:country!=* & addr:country=* { set
mkgmap:country='${addr:country|country-ISO:}' }
mkgmap:country!=* & is_in:country=* { set
mkgmap:country='${is_in:country|country-ISO:}' }

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/60189#map=1/70/0
ISO3166-1 RU
ISO3166-1:alpha2 RU
ISO3166-1:alpha3 RUS
ISO3166-1:numeric 643
admin_level 2
border_type nation
boundary administrative
int_name Russia
int_ref RU
name Россия
name:UN:ru Российская Федерация
name:ru Россия
official_name Российская Федерация
official_name:ru Российская Федерация
type boundary

Why "Russian Federation"?

ISO3166-1 EE
ISO3166-1:alpha2 EE
ISO3166-1:alpha3 EST
ISO3166-1:numeric 233
admin_level 2
boundary administrative
int_name Estonia
name Eesti
name:ru Эстония
type boundary

Here it is correct "Эстония"

Re: Why is mkgmap the option --country-name=name

Gerd Petermann
Hi Eugeny,

the name probably comes from nodes like this
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/27490597
Note that it has
is_in:country="Russian Federation"

I assume that the bounds file is incomplete and that mkgmap doesn't set  mkgmap:admin_level2,
maybe because you create the bounds with a file that doesn't fully contain relation 60189,
maybe because there is another problem with the boundaries.

Gerd