Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Frédéric Bonifas
Hi,

I have noticed that the participation in mapping Ivory Coast isn't huge.

We usually have no data sources. So we spend time tracing with landsat, defining the areas of interest, trying to get images, and complaining about the lack of available data sources.

For Ivory Coast we are in the contrary case : we have tons of satellite images but no one to trace over it.

Perhaps you are currently mapping another area ?
Perhaps you don't see the interest in mapping Ivory Coast ?
Perhaps the data sources available were not promoted enough ?
Perhaps quality of available satellite imagery is too bad ?
Perhaps the communication around the usefulness of this mapping action wasn't good ?
Perhaps the media did not talk a lot about this crisis ?
Perhaps ... ?

This is really a "naive" message, without pre-conceived ideas, just to understand why we fail and how we can improve.

Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Mikel Maron
Frederic

Perhaps everyone is not as aware of the humanitarian situation in Ivory Coast? Can you elaborate what's happening?
The media focus was on Gbagbo (at least in the US), and the humanitarian crisis there was overshadowed by Japan.

-Mikel

== Mikel Maron ==
+14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

Re: Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Frédéric Bonifas
Yes,

Political crisis following the presidential elections led to violence
all over the country :

* In Abidjan, number of displaced people was estimated to 800.000 two
weeks ago. Although calm slowly returns to Abidjan, violence is still
ongoing especially in the Yopougon district (west of the city, 1
million people).

* Violence has been terrible in the western part of the country. UNHCR
talking about "massacre" [1]. This area has been especially affected
[2] and the imagery we got yesterday from SPOT covers this.

* There are refugee camps in Liberia, approximately 150.000 Ivorian
refugees according to UNHCR [3]. UNOSAT has authorized OSM to trace
over one of its imagery for the Bahn camp in Liberia (the biggest camp
if I make no mistake) [4]

Unfortunately, the "end" of the political crisis does not
automatically implies the end of the humanitarian crisis : displaced
people will still stay in camps for a time, infrastructures are
destroyed, people are afraid of reprisals and violence. Protection,
health and food needs are big. Many organizations are now operating
there and lacking good baseline data.

As I told yesterday, OSM is in the Common Operational Dataset of OCHA
[5] : so OSM data is already used but needs to be improved

I know I am not good at summarizing the situation, many reports can be
found here for those interested :
http://reliefweb.int/taxonomy/term/69

Frederic

[1] : http://reliefweb.int/node/394813
[2] : http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/map_47.pdf
[3] : http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/map_59.pdf
[4] : wms:http://cernunosat05.cern.ch/ArcGIS/services/CIV/CIV_Liberia4/MapServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=0&Styles=default&
[5] : http://ochaonline.un.org/UrgencesEmergencies/ElectionsCocirctedIvoire/tabid/7330/language/fr-FR/Default.aspx

2011/4/21 Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>

> Frederic
>
> Perhaps everyone is not as aware of the humanitarian situation in Ivory Coast? Can you elaborate what's happening?
> The media focus was on Gbagbo (at least in the US), and the humanitarian crisis there was overshadowed by Japan.
>
> -Mikel
>
> == Mikel Maron ==
> +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
>
> ________________________________

Brad Neuhauser
Here's a couple additional ideas:
  • Looking at the other Current projects listed on the HOT page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Hot#Current, they all have a OSM wiki page which explains what the crisis is, what areas are affected, what imagery/maps are available, what the most valuable ways are to contribute, etc.  On the Ivory Coast page, there's a lot about data sources, but not much on what to do (which to me really helps people convert their effort into the maximum impact).
  • In scanning through the last few months of posts on the HOT list, Ivory Coast has rarely been mentioned (before this thread, 3 messages in 2011 that I saw).
  • In addition to the Japan crisis, Libya has also drawn a fair amount of attention.
Thanks for bringing this up,
Brad

2011/4/21 Frédéric Bonifas <[hidden email]>
Yes,

Political crisis following the presidential elections led to violence
all over the country :

* In Abidjan, number of displaced people was estimated to 800.000 two
weeks ago. Although calm slowly returns to Abidjan, violence is still
ongoing especially in the Yopougon district (west of the city, 1
million people).

* Violence has been terrible in the western part of the country. UNHCR
talking about "massacre" [1]. This area has been especially affected
[2] and the imagery we got yesterday from SPOT covers this.

* There are refugee camps in Liberia, approximately 150.000 Ivorian
refugees according to UNHCR [3]. UNOSAT has authorized OSM to trace
over one of its imagery for the Bahn camp in Liberia (the biggest camp
if I make no mistake) [4]

Unfortunately, the "end" of the political crisis does not
automatically implies the end of the humanitarian crisis : displaced
people will still stay in camps for a time, infrastructures are
destroyed, people are afraid of reprisals and violence. Protection,
health and food needs are big. Many organizations are now operating
there and lacking good baseline data.

As I told yesterday, OSM is in the Common Operational Dataset of OCHA
[5] : so OSM data is already used but needs to be improved

I know I am not good at summarizing the situation, many reports can be
found here for those interested :
http://reliefweb.int/taxonomy/term/69

Frederic

[1] : http://reliefweb.int/node/394813
[2] : http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/map_47.pdf
[3] : http://reliefweb.int/sites/reliefweb.int/files/resources/map_59.pdf
[4] : wms:http://cernunosat05.cern.ch/ArcGIS/services/CIV/CIV_Liberia4/MapServer/WMSServer?FORMAT=image/jpeg&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap&Layers=0&Styles=default&
[5] : http://ochaonline.un.org/UrgencesEmergencies/ElectionsCocirctedIvoire/tabid/7330/language/fr-FR/Default.aspx

2011/4/21 Mikel Maron <[hidden email]>

> Frederic
>
> Perhaps everyone is not as aware of the humanitarian situation in Ivory Coast? Can you elaborate what's happening?
> The media focus was on Gbagbo (at least in the US), and the humanitarian crisis there was overshadowed by Japan.
>
> -Mikel
>
> == Mikel Maron ==
> +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron
>
> ________________________________

Dietmar Seifert

i'm a novice hot mapper and first time active in Japan now.

In the first time, a lot of people from other countries were active in japan. If seems to me, that now even there are very few people still working remotely on it.

I suggest, the number of people, who really stay on a theme, when the locally or worlwide public focus lost, is very low.

On the german talk-de mailing list, very soon after 11th of March, a thread started, if we got information, who could use our newly added data in japan in the desaster area. I thought, it was very early to await a feedback from there, but sooner or (not to late) later feedback from the hot areas back to the remotly engaged people would help really to stay the interest on the hot areas.

More generally, working on hot themes: i feel a big gap between my standard osm community in germany, in contact via mailing lists oder forum threads and my locally osm group in town versus the other part of osm, the hot group.

For me, it seems to be a closed or better say, a small, very engaged (timely and deep) group of people and it seems to me hard to get in contact and possible to find a place for me there.
There were two invitations to come close to the group: february in haiti and i got the information of a camp end of march in bretagne, france. Both were unfortunately to far away for me.
If there would be a meeting or weekend in germany or, for example, at the sotm europe in vienna, it would help to bring the hot view to new osm people.

And it would be very good to get information, what kind of support could help, even when the interested mapper has not so much time to spend.

Greetings,

Dietmar

Re: Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Frédéric Bonifas
Thank you for the comments. I have tried to work on the wikipage,
hoping that the "Mapping coordination" section now better emphasizes
what is useful  :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/En:WikiProject_Ivory_Coast
Please do not hesitate to edit the page or ask for more details.

--
Frédéric Bonifas
+33672652807 skype:fredericbonifas

Re: Why we fail mapping Ivory Coast ?

Floris Looijesteijn
Perhaps is because only one image resource is from 2011? Most is from 2005...

Greets,
Floris (will put in some time to trace)