Wiki-Admin: Allow "external" images

Claudius Henrichs
Can any of the OSM wiki admins please set $wgAllowExternalImagesFrom to
allow "external" images from wiki.openstreetmap.org? I would like to add
a OSM2Go manual with pictures and have a "1-click-install" image that
links to a download page. I and proably others would need this setting
for wiki-scenarios like this.

Re: Wiki-Admin: Allow "external" images

Grant Slater
Claudius Henrichs wrote:
> Can any of the OSM wiki admins please set $wgAllowExternalImagesFrom to
> allow "external" images from wiki.openstreetmap.org? I would like to add
> a OSM2Go manual with pictures and have a "1-click-install" image that
> links to a download page. I and proably others would need this setting
> for wiki-scenarios like this.

I don't follow... what is wrong with the standard wiki syntax for
linking an image?

eg:
[[Image:ImageName.jpg]]

/ Grant

Re: Wiki-Admin: Allow "external" images

Claudius Henrichs
Grant Slater:

> Claudius Henrichs wrote:
>> Can any of the OSM wiki admins please set $wgAllowExternalImagesFrom to
>> allow "external" images from wiki.openstreetmap.org? I would like to add
>> a OSM2Go manual with pictures and have a "1-click-install" image that
>> links to a download page. I and proably others would need this setting
>> for wiki-scenarios like this.
>>

> I don't follow... what is wrong with the standard wiki syntax for
> linking an image?
>
> eg:
> [[Image:ImageName.jpg]]
>
> / Grant

It doesn't allow to link this image with an external link target like
www.openstreetmap.org. Even linking it with an wiki-internal article is
difficult to do.

Re: Wiki-Admin: Allow "external" images

Stefan Baebler
another example:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Press
Should be easy to use for journalists.... but clicking the icons takes
them to the icon, not to the desired content

I guess you want similar functionality for linking to external pages.
That could be also useful for linking to external tools in city pages,
but it shouldn't be abused.

Stefan

Stefan Baebler wrote:
> another example:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Press
> Should be easy to use for journalists.... but clicking the icons takes
> them to the icon, not to the desired content

I've installed the Mediawiki Imagemap extension and fixed the Press
page. Having hackish internal image links is not a clean solution.

/ Grant

Re: Wiki-Admin: Allow "external" images

Claudius Henrichs
Grant Slater:

> Stefan Baebler wrote:
>> another example:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Press
>> Should be easy to use for journalists.... but clicking the icons takes
>> them to the icon, not to the desired content
>>

> I've installed the Mediawiki Imagemap extension and fixed the Press
> page. Having hackish internal image links is not a clean solution.
>
> / Grant

Thanks a lot. Working great:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Osm2go#Installing_OSM2Go