[Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

[Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

jgpacker
I call people to review the wiki page Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?.
link:  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Why_OSM_and_not_another_collaborative_mapping_service%3F

It was written by a single user as a generic page to compare other collaborative mapping services to OSM.
My issue with this page is that it's not generic at all.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

I didn't want to bother with this until it started being recommended elsewhere in the wiki as official.

Cheers,
John

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

Mike Thompson
Some of the parts about OSM seems to be in the spirit of the project, although I would word some of it a bit differently.

To the extent possible I think we should focus on the positive and avoid negative statements about other projects, or over generalizations about those projects.  For example "Your mapping service is a closed system" is both negative and a generalization.  There may be some other mapping system service that is also open like OSM that the reader is part of. Perhaps just title that box "Closed Mapping Systems"

re:
"There multiple collaborative mapping services. Each of them is a direct rival to OpenStreetMap in terms of competing for contributors and map editing contributions. OpenStreetMap is better than any other competitor for one simple and very fundamental reason"
This is not necessarily true.  For example, a project may capture data that OSM is not interested in, and therefore it is not a direct rival.

Mike

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 7:59 PM, jgpacker <[hidden email]> wrote:
I call people to review the wiki page Why OSM and not another collaborative
mapping service?.
link:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Why_OSM_and_not_another_collaborative_mapping_service%3F

It was written by a single user as a generic page to compare other
collaborative mapping services to OSM.
My issue with this page is that it's not generic at all.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

I didn't want to bother with this until it started being recommended
elsewhere in the wiki as official.

Cheers,
John

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

Ineiev
On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 08:29:48PM -0600, Mike Thompson wrote:
> To the extent possible I think we should focus on the positive and avoid
> negative statements about other projects,

Why not, if they are true?

> or over generalizations about
> those projects.  For example "Your mapping service is a closed system" is
> both negative and a generalization.  There may be some other mapping system
> service that is also open like OSM that the reader is part of. Perhaps just
> title that box "Closed Mapping Systems"

Of course there may be, but can you list any other projects aiming
to make free maps? on the other hand, wiki could enumerate particular
well-known services producing nonfree maps.

> re:
> "There multiple collaborative mapping services. Each of them is a direct
> rival to OpenStreetMap in terms of competing for contributors and map
> editing contributions. OpenStreetMap is better than any other competitor
> for one simple and very fundamental reason"
> This is not necessarily true.  For example, a project may capture data that
> OSM is not interested in, and therefore it is not a direct rival.

Again, it _may_; are there any counterexamples?

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

voschix
I would remove such a page from the wiki.

It is more suitable as a publicity pamphlet.
But even in that case it needs some more structuring. The individual pros and cons have to be juxtaposed. The summary statements are not correct in all aspects and therefore open to criticism.

On 7 May 2015 at 06:35, Ineiev <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 08:29:48PM -0600, Mike Thompson wrote:
> To the extent possible I think we should focus on the positive and avoid
> negative statements about other projects,

Why not, if they are true?

> or over generalizations about
> those projects.  For example "Your mapping service is a closed system" is
> both negative and a generalization.  There may be some other mapping system
> service that is also open like OSM that the reader is part of. Perhaps just
> title that box "Closed Mapping Systems"

Of course there may be, but can you list any other projects aiming
to make free maps? on the other hand, wiki could enumerate particular
well-known services producing nonfree maps.

> re:
> "There multiple collaborative mapping services. Each of them is a direct
> rival to OpenStreetMap in terms of competing for contributors and map
> editing contributions. OpenStreetMap is better than any other competitor
> for one simple and very fundamental reason"
> This is not necessarily true.  For example, a project may capture data that
> OSM is not interested in, and therefore it is not a direct rival.

Again, it _may_; are there any counterexamples?

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

Frederik Ramm

On 05/07/2015 06:35 AM, Ineiev wrote:
>> "There multiple collaborative mapping services. Each of them is a direct
>> rival to OpenStreetMap in terms of competing for contributors and map
>> editing contributions. OpenStreetMap is better than any other competitor
>> for one simple and very fundamental reason"
>> This is not necessarily true.  For example, a project may capture data that
>> OSM is not interested in, and therefore it is not a direct rival.
>
> Again, it _may_; are there any counterexamples?

There are quite a few collaborative mapping projects where people map
where they encounter which species of plants or animals in the wild.
(For example, a recent discussion on the German OSM forum was about a
software called MykIS used by hobby mycologists.) They do a form of
mapping, but they're certainly not a competitor.

Bye
Frederik

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

Andy Mabbett
On 7 May 2015 at 07:30, Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would remove such a page from the wiki.
>
> It is more suitable as a publicity pamphlet.

Any and all of our "publicity pamphlets" should also be on the wiki,
for various reasons, including:

* An archive for future reference, when the paper version is no longer available
* Ease of access by people remote from the location of paper copies
* Copy & pastable text, avaialbe for reuse in other publications
* Version tracking
* Easy to link to from other websites/ social media

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

brycenesbitt
On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM, Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are quite a few collaborative mapping projects where people map
where they encounter which species of plants or animals in the wild.
(For example, a recent discussion on the German OSM forum was about a
software called MykIS used by hobby mycologists.) They do a form of
mapping, but they're certainly not a competitor.

In fact they're potential partners.
Potential Partners, who by and large, use Google base maps.

--

OSM can be the "base map to the world".

Re: [Wiki Talk] Why OSM and not another collaborative mapping service?

SimonPoole

I'm really not sure what this discussion is doing on tagging and have
redirected follow ups to talk (it has in the matter of a few mails
already gone substantially off-topic though).

The page in question is actually a fork of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Google_Map_Maker which was written as
a response to the introduction of MM.

I personally consider it dangerous to base such a comparison on anything
but general principles. On the one hand you are always in danger of
being out of date and at least in a legal grey zone if not already out
side of it, on the other hand it tends to degenerate in to
political/point of view material, are all commercial companies actually
evil as Xxzme version seems to imply?

Simon