Wiki: XML Schema vs. REST examples

Alex Mauer
On the OSM wiki, some examples given for the REST api say:
<segment tags='name=harrypotter; ; ; ; ; ' from='194797' to='226261'
uid='192388'/>

While over in the XML Schema page it says:,
<property uid="111" object="678" key="name" value="Baker Street" />

Which one is correct, and can this, as well as the Data Primitives and
Key Value System pages be changed to be consistent (whichever way it
eventually will be).

Thanks.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"
--
Bad - You get pulled over for doing 90 in a school zone and you're drunk
off your ass again at three in the afternoon.

Re: Wiki: XML Schema vs. REST examplesHi,

Immanuel Scholz
Hi,

> On the OSM wiki, some examples given for the REST api say:
> <segment tags='name=harrypotter; ; ; ; ; ' from='194797' to='226261'
> uid='192388'/>
>
> While over in the XML Schema page it says:,
> <property uid="111" object="678" key="name" value="Baker Street" />
>
> Which one is correct,

They are both somewhat correct.

The example in the REST page is how it is currently implemented. Steve likes
it the way where the server only knows about tag-strings and nothing else.

However, I (and I believe Nick too?) prefere a way where the server understand
key/value pairs. The REST example is the current quick-and-working
implementation to just-support-properties. The XML-Schema is my suggestion
how I would do things to transfer.

The disadvantage of the tag-string is, that it could become huge as more
people start to use more properties for different things (and as automated
properties start to happen as example "created_by=JOSM" or something like
this).

The tags attribute will be replaced by the seperate tag as soon as they don't
fit the needs anymore. But who knows? Maybe we get away with the working
implementation ;-)

> and can this, as well as the Data Primitives and
> Key Value System pages be changed to be consistent (whichever way it
> eventually will be).

You can copy and post this email as clarification into the wiki, if you
want :-)

If you want to implement the property tags, feel free!

Ciao, Imi.

Re: Wiki: XML Schema vs. REST examplesHi,

Steve Coast

> Hi,
>
> > On the OSM wiki, some examples given for the REST api say:
> > <segment tags='name=harrypotter; ; ; ; ; ' from='194797' to='226261'
> > uid='192388'/>
> >
> > While over in the XML Schema page it says:,
> > <property uid="111" object="678" key="name" value="Baker Street" />
> >
> > Which one is correct,
>
> They are both somewhat correct.
>
> The example in the REST page is how it is currently implemented. Steve likes
> it the way where the server only knows about tag-strings and nothing else.

No... it was just the simplest thing to implement that would work. We
can still move to a scheme where the keys and vals are logically
distinct.

BTW: Many thanks to whoever bought me the DVD, I wasn't expecting to be
taken seriously :-)

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/