Wiki documentation on GPS devices - please help answer some questions

Wiki documentation on GPS devices - please help answer some questions

Fanie van der Walt
Hi All,

Another consideration for choosing a tablet or phone versus a dedicated
device (and I feel very strongly about it): When my Garmin needed a new
battery last year, Garmin told me it was impossible, since my Nuvi was
too old. It was made in 2012. But they are willing to sell me a new one.

In my opinion, dedicated devices are outdated. I will never even speak
to Garmin again!

Greetings,

Fanie van der Walt
Pretoria, South Africa.

Re: Wiki documentation on GPS devices - please help answer some questions

Fanie van der Walt
Hi,

Sorry about the date: It should have read 2007, not 2012.

Blame my agitated state of mind.

Greetings,

Fanie van der Walt.

On 25/01/2013 15:24, Fanie van der Walt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Another consideration for choosing a tablet or phone versus a
> dedicated device (and I feel very strongly about it): When my Garmin
> needed a new battery last year, Garmin told me it was impossible,
> since my Nuvi was too old. It was made in 2012. But they are willing
> to sell me a new one.
>
> In my opinion, dedicated devices are outdated. I will never even speak
> to Garmin again!
>
> Greetings,
>
> Fanie van der Walt
> Pretoria, South Africa.

Re: Wiki documentation on GPS devices - please help answer some questions

John Sturdy
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Gerhardus Geldenhuis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's a shame you feel that way. I can't be happier with my Garmin. That
> being said it uses standard AA batteries and gives me the option of setting
> the type of battery, rechargeable or throwaway. A dedicated device should
> potentially be more accurate. but that is an assumption not a fact.

Well, you can have a hybrid arrangement: my phone has GPS built in,
but will also talk to separate GPS receiver over Bluetooth (I think
this is quite a common arrangement for phones with both GPS and
Bluetooth hardware).

__John