Wikimania, August 4-8

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wikimania, August 4-8

Lars Aronsson
Wikimania is a conference on everything Wikipedia/MediaWiki, held
on August 4-8 in Frankfurt-am-Main in southern Germany.  Is
anybody on this list going there (more than me)?

Read more about the conference at http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/

Since Wikipedia was started in 2001, various ideas and subprojects
in the direction of map creation, display, and data collection
have been discussed.  Traces of such discussions can be found
mostly on meta.wikipedia.org under names like "wikimaps" and
"wikiatlas".  The starting points have been a) that Wikipedia
needs maps to illustrate encyclopedia articles, and b) since
Wikipedia has shown that a free encyclopedia can be created, then
maybe free maps can also be created just as easily. As far as I
know, none of these subprojects have been really successful.

Geography and mapping are not among the main tracks of the
conference, but there are one paper and two workshops that relate
to this:

 Paper: Russell Buckley,
 Extending Wikipedia into the Physical World,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Paper-RB1

 Workshop: Arnulf Christl,
 Summarizing Activities around Open Geospatial Data projects,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-AC1

 Workshop: Tobias Dahinden,
 Kartengestaltung in Wikipedia - eine Aufforderung für
 bildschirmgerechte Kartengraphik,
 http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-TD1 


--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikimania, August 4-8

stevec-4
I'll be talking about OSM at another conf
(http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2005/) on the same weekend.

I spoke to Jimmy Wales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_wales about
OSM some time ago. He was uninterested in doing anything unless it was
part of the wikimedia foundation.

If people going to wikimania can talk / report on how the talks go down,
that'd be cool.

* @ 25/06/05 03:43:48 PM [hidden email] wrote:

> Wikimania is a conference on everything Wikipedia/MediaWiki, held
> on August 4-8 in Frankfurt-am-Main in southern Germany.  Is
> anybody on this list going there (more than me)?
>
> Read more about the conference at http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/
>
> Since Wikipedia was started in 2001, various ideas and subprojects
> in the direction of map creation, display, and data collection
> have been discussed.  Traces of such discussions can be found
> mostly on meta.wikipedia.org under names like "wikimaps" and
> "wikiatlas".  The starting points have been a) that Wikipedia
> needs maps to illustrate encyclopedia articles, and b) since
> Wikipedia has shown that a free encyclopedia can be created, then
> maybe free maps can also be created just as easily. As far as I
> know, none of these subprojects have been really successful.
>
> Geography and mapping are not among the main tracks of the
> conference, but there are one paper and two workshops that relate
> to this:
>
>  Paper: Russell Buckley,
>  Extending Wikipedia into the Physical World,
>  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Paper-RB1
>
>  Workshop: Arnulf Christl,
>  Summarizing Activities around Open Geospatial Data projects,
>  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-AC1
>
>  Workshop: Tobias Dahinden,
>  Kartengestaltung in Wikipedia - eine Aufforderung für
>  bildschirmgerechte Kartengraphik,
>  http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-TD1 
>
>
> --
>   Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
>   Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openstreetmap mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
>

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikimania, August 4-8

frank mohr
In reply to this post by Lars Aronsson
Hi

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Wikimania is a conference on everything Wikipedia/MediaWiki, held
> on August 4-8 in Frankfurt-am-Main in southern Germany.  Is
> anybody on this list going there (more than me)?

As I'm working in Frankfurt I'll try to go there for some workshops

Frank

       

       
               
___________________________________________________________
Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de


_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikimania, August 4-8

Arnulf
In reply to this post by stevec-4
SteveC wrote:
> I'll be talking about OSM at another conf
> (http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2005/) on the same weekend.
>
> I spoke to Jimmy Wales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_wales about
> OSM some time ago. He was uninterested in doing anything unless it was
> part of the wikimedia foundation.

Yes we also tasted some of this attitude when we started off last year
all enthusiastic about a Wikimaps architecture (still to be found on
meta). Now we have included some maps into other Wikis which is just
fine but there are currently at least 5 different strong opinions about
how to go about this topic. I dont want this to end in a shoot out and i
am not sure whether it will result in the best possible architecture.

Nonetheless or rather *because of* this i will be talking at the Wikimania:
Summarizing Activities around Open Geospatial Data projects
and try to get people *want* to stick to standards andexisting
technology and all that crap rather than inventing the next wheel.


> If people going to wikimania can talk / report on how the talks go down,
> that'd be cool.

Maybe we will even have a booth there for people to play around with
interactive maps, look for Geo-Consortium, CCGIS or Arnulf Christl i'd
be very happy to meet somebody from openstreetmap, you are way further
along the road than most other free spatial data projects that i know of.

Best,

> * @ 25/06/05 03:43:48 PM [hidden email] wrote:
>
>>Wikimania is a conference on everything Wikipedia/MediaWiki, held
>>on August 4-8 in Frankfurt-am-Main in southern Germany.  Is
>>anybody on this list going there (more than me)?
>>
>>Read more about the conference at http://wikimania.wikimedia.org/
>>
>>Since Wikipedia was started in 2001, various ideas and subprojects
>>in the direction of map creation, display, and data collection
>>have been discussed.  Traces of such discussions can be found
>>mostly on meta.wikipedia.org under names like "wikimaps" and
>>"wikiatlas".  The starting points have been a) that Wikipedia
>>needs maps to illustrate encyclopedia articles, and b) since
>>Wikipedia has shown that a free encyclopedia can be created, then
>>maybe free maps can also be created just as easily. As far as I
>>know, none of these subprojects have been really successful.
>>
>>Geography and mapping are not among the main tracks of the
>>conference, but there are one paper and two workshops that relate
>>to this:
>>
>> Paper: Russell Buckley,
>> Extending Wikipedia into the Physical World,
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Paper-RB1
>>
>> Workshop: Arnulf Christl,
>> Summarizing Activities around Open Geospatial Data projects,
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-AC1
>>
>> Workshop: Tobias Dahinden,
>> Kartengestaltung in Wikipedia - eine Aufforderung f?r
>> bildschirmgerechte Kartengraphik,
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikimania05/Workshop-TD1 
>>
>>
>>--
>>  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
>>  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>Openstreetmap mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
>>
>
>
> have fun,
>
> SteveC [hidden email] http://www.fractalus.com/steve/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openstreetmap mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap


_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Wikimania, August 4-8

Lars Aronsson
Arnulf Christl wrote:

> SteveC wrote:
> > I'll be talking about OSM at another conf
> > (http://www.ukuug.org/events/linux2005/) on the same weekend.
> >
> > I spoke to Jimmy Wales http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_wales about
> > OSM some time ago. He was uninterested in doing anything unless it was
> > part of the wikimedia foundation.
>
> Yes we also tasted some of this attitude when we started off
> last year all enthusiastic about a Wikimaps architecture (still
> to be found on meta).

I would also be very skeptic if I were Jimbo.  (I'm user:LA2 both
on Wikipedia and OSM.)  There are dozens of project ideas on
meta.wikipedia.org, many of them with no more substance than
"let's do something with maps".  Most of them are linked from
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimaps

I think a successful approach will have to do two things:

1) make clear that it has a grasp of all other existing ideas,
because competing ideas must be killed off to create a focus,

2) show a practical road ahead that can produce useful results
here and now, and not just a summary or critique of other ideas.

Your announced workshop, Arnulf, is the most promising answer to
(1) and we need something like OSM for (2).

But just suppose we could get Jimbo to say (in a press
announcement) that OSM is "the thing" and that all wikipedians
should buy a GPS and submit their track logs and draw maps using
the OSM applet.  Could the current OSM implmementation handle this
influx of data, traffic and contributors?  Even if, say, Yahoo or
Oracle supplied the necessary hardware?  Is the application "ready
for prime time"?  Perhaps not.  I think OSM needs at least six
more months of development and rethinking before this.  Is there
any alternative to OSM that is ready to roll?

I think that even after a complete redesign of the OSM
application, we will still want to reuse the track log data that
has been uploaded.  The track logs are the constant, while the
application is a moving target.  So a repository of
open/free-licensed track logs could be a first step.  But are we
done with the licensing and privacy issues yet?  I don't think so.


--
  Lars Aronsson ([hidden email])
  Aronsson Datateknik - http://aronsson.se

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap