Wilderness in National Forest?

Joseph Eisenberg
I've noticed that federal Wilderness areas in Northern California and
Southern Oregon are mapped as if they are not part of the surrounding
national forest(s).

Is this correct mapping? On older USGS maps the Wilderness areas were
always shown as being enclosed by the surrounding National Forest (or
other Federal lands).

From Wikipedia:
"Wilderness areas are parts of national parks, wildlife refuges,
national forests, and BLM lands; some units managed by different
agencies. Initially, the NWPS included 34 areas protecting 9.1 million
acres (37,000 km2) in the national forests. ... "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Wilderness_Preservation_System

Also, boundary=protected_area is going to be rendered on the
Openstreetmap-carto style soon. I'd suggest we take a look into adding
boundary=protected_area with protect_class=* as appropriate.

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3509

Re: Wilderness in National Forest?

Kevin Kenny-3
On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 10:38 AM Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed that federal Wilderness areas in Northern California and
Southern Oregon are mapped as if they are not part of the surrounding
national forest(s).

Is this correct mapping? On older USGS maps the Wilderness areas were
always shown as being enclosed by the surrounding National Forest (or
other Federal lands).

I thought I'd answered this, but I can't find it in my 'Sent' folder. Forgive me if this turns out to be a duplicate message.

New York has only one (quite small) National Forest, so I can't comment specifically on embedded wilderness areas in National Forests. Nevertheless, we have a similar situation with Wilderness, Wild Forest, Canoe Area, Primitive Area, etc. embedded in the Catskill and Adirondack Parks. We already have those embedded areas set up with boundary=protected area (example: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6360488) with the enclosing parks tagged with boundary=national_park (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1695394). The Wilderness areas enjoy a stronger protection than the park as a whole, but are unquestionably a part of it. I presume that's how embedded Wilderness in the National Forests works, too?

Incidentally, I'm comfortable with boundary=national_park for the Adirondack and Catskill Parks. The Federal government shares sovereignty with the States, and New York created these two parks acting as a sovereign entity. They enjoy stronger protection than the US National Parks - a simple public law could revoke the latter, while the former are enshrined in the state constitution and would require a constitutional amendment to change them. They predate the National Park Service, by the way.