Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

John-2
Hi All
I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping are Serengeti National Park (Task 834) and Niokolo-Koba National Park (Task 721).

As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.

For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:

Regards
John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Dan S
Hi,

Sounds good! I have a couple of questions:

* The tasks say "align the WordView-1 imagery", but the task data
doesn't seem to have a URL for the imagery source. Could you add that
data to the tasks please? I'm not sure how we're supposed to access
the imagery, and I guess other people will also be unsure.

* The tasks say that rivers, streams and entrances should be named. Is
it OK for remote mappers to trace these things, even if they have no
idea what the names are?

Best
Dan

> Hi All
> I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's Protected
> Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping are Serengeti
> National Park (Task 834) and Niokolo-Koba National Park (Task 721).
>
> As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and Game
> Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign currency, jobs
> and upliftment in many countries on the African continent. Your assistance
> in mapping protected areas will help support tourism activity and therefore
> the surrounding communities.
>
> For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
> Our WikiProject
> Our Facebook Page
>
> Regards
> John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Blake Girardot
Hi John,

Congrats on kicking off the Projects!

Do you or anyone on the list have any idea how we can get in contact
with "adventure tourism" or "eco tourism" people (consumers or vendors)?

Companies that offer eco or adventure tourism rely on these areas
staying protected so they have an incentive to help us with on the
ground with gps traces or gps cooridinates for PoI's.

Not to mention they would get credit as the source for helping collect
this data in OSM.

And the same thing for consumers who go on eco/adventure tourism, they
have an incentive help keep these areas protected and would probably
love to help contribute to these projects in some way and have on the
ground experience.

How can we get our message out to these places and people?

Websites? Facebook groups? Travel industry trade organizations?

If people can identify people/places/organizations I am glad to start
spreading the word, but my limited tries so far have not realized any
results.

Or are you already working with companies or groups?

cheers,
Blake

On 1/14/2015 5:48 PM, John White wrote:

> Hi All
> I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's
> Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping
> are Serengeti National Park (Task 834
> <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/834>) and Niokolo-Koba National Park
> (Task 721 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/721>).
>
> As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and
> Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign
> currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African
> continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support
> tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.
>
> For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
> Our WikiProject
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves>
> Our Facebook Page <https://www.facebook.com/mappingprotectedareas>
>
> Regards
> John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Bouke Pieter Ottow
Hi John, Blake and list,

I have somewhere on my computer still some traces of my visit to Masai Mara (Kenya) and Nyungwe Forest (Rwanda). Would this be interesting to use? Although I already digitized the last one mentioned.

Regards,
Bouke Pieter

On Wed Jan 14 2015 at 6:50:25 PM Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

Congrats on kicking off the Projects!

Do you or anyone on the list have any idea how we can get in contact
with "adventure tourism" or "eco tourism" people (consumers or vendors)?

Companies that offer eco or adventure tourism rely on these areas
staying protected so they have an incentive to help us with on the
ground with gps traces or gps cooridinates for PoI's.

Not to mention they would get credit as the source for helping collect
this data in OSM.

And the same thing for consumers who go on eco/adventure tourism, they
have an incentive help keep these areas protected and would probably
love to help contribute to these projects in some way and have on the
ground experience.

How can we get our message out to these places and people?

Websites? Facebook groups? Travel industry trade organizations?

If people can identify people/places/organizations I am glad to start
spreading the word, but my limited tries so far have not realized any
results.

Or are you already working with companies or groups?

cheers,
Blake

On 1/14/2015 5:48 PM, John White wrote:
> Hi All
> I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's
> Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping
> are Serengeti National Park (Task 834
> <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/834>) and Niokolo-Koba National Park
> (Task 721 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/721>).
>
> As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and
> Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign
> currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African
> continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support
> tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.
>
> For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
> Our WikiProject
> <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves>
> Our Facebook Page <https://www.facebook.com/mappingprotectedareas>
>
> Regards
> John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Dan S
Hi Bouke,

Yes please :) - even if you've already digitised a GPS trace, it's
useful for us to have GPS traces in the database to help with
alignment etc.

Dan

> Hi John, Blake and list,
>
> I have somewhere on my computer still some traces of my visit to Masai Mara
> (Kenya) and Nyungwe Forest (Rwanda). Would this be interesting to use?
> Although I already digitized the last one mentioned.
>
> Regards,
> Bouke Pieter
>
> On Wed Jan 14 2015 at 6:50:25 PM Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Congrats on kicking off the Projects!
>>
>> Do you or anyone on the list have any idea how we can get in contact
>> with "adventure tourism" or "eco tourism" people (consumers or vendors)?
>>
>> Companies that offer eco or adventure tourism rely on these areas
>> staying protected so they have an incentive to help us with on the
>> ground with gps traces or gps cooridinates for PoI's.
>>
>> Not to mention they would get credit as the source for helping collect
>> this data in OSM.
>>
>> And the same thing for consumers who go on eco/adventure tourism, they
>> have an incentive help keep these areas protected and would probably
>> love to help contribute to these projects in some way and have on the
>> ground experience.
>>
>> How can we get our message out to these places and people?
>>
>> Websites? Facebook groups? Travel industry trade organizations?
>>
>> If people can identify people/places/organizations I am glad to start
>> spreading the word, but my limited tries so far have not realized any
>> results.
>>
>> Or are you already working with companies or groups?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Blake
>>

>> On 1/14/2015 5:48 PM, John White wrote:
>> > Hi All
>> > I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's
>> > Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping
>> > are Serengeti National Park (Task 834
>> > <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/834>) and Niokolo-Koba National Park
>> > (Task 721 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/721>).
>> >
>> > As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and
>> > Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign
>> > currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African
>> > continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support
>> > tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.
>> >
>> > For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
>> > Our WikiProject
>> >
>> > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves>
>> > Our Facebook Page <https://www.facebook.com/mappingprotectedareas>
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Phil Wyatt

I am happy to pass the message on through the International Rangers Federation and the Thin Green Line movement

https://www.facebook.com/thethingreenlinefoundation

https://www.facebook.com/InternationalRangerFederation

Cheers - Phil

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Jan van Bekkum
We are making an overland trip from the Netherlands to South Africa. All tracks (including all parks we visited) have been uploaded. I am in the process of adding the data we collected to the maps. Parks include:
  • Masai Mara (Kenya)
  • Hell's Gate (Kenya)
  • Queen Elisabeth N.P. (Uganda)
  • Akagera (Rwanda)
  • Tarangire (Tanzania)
  • Ruaha (Tanzania)
  • Liwonde (Malawi)
  • South Luanga (Zambia)
  • Chobe (Botswana)
  • Milwane (Zimbabwe)
  • Matopos (Zimbabwe)
  • Hluhluwe-Imfolozi (RSA)
  • Mana Pools (Zimbabwe)
  • Marakele (RSA)
  • Kruger (RSA)
  • Pilanesberg (RSA)
Regards,

Jan van Bekkum

On Wed Jan 14 2015 at 9:49:06 PM Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bouke,

Yes please :) - even if you've already digitised a GPS trace, it's
useful for us to have GPS traces in the database to help with
alignment etc.

Dan

> Hi John, Blake and list,
>
> I have somewhere on my computer still some traces of my visit to Masai Mara
> (Kenya) and Nyungwe Forest (Rwanda). Would this be interesting to use?
> Although I already digitized the last one mentioned.
>
> Regards,
> Bouke Pieter
>
> On Wed Jan 14 2015 at 6:50:25 PM Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> Congrats on kicking off the Projects!
>>
>> Do you or anyone on the list have any idea how we can get in contact
>> with "adventure tourism" or "eco tourism" people (consumers or vendors)?
>>
>> Companies that offer eco or adventure tourism rely on these areas
>> staying protected so they have an incentive to help us with on the
>> ground with gps traces or gps cooridinates for PoI's.
>>
>> Not to mention they would get credit as the source for helping collect
>> this data in OSM.
>>
>> And the same thing for consumers who go on eco/adventure tourism, they
>> have an incentive help keep these areas protected and would probably
>> love to help contribute to these projects in some way and have on the
>> ground experience.
>>
>> How can we get our message out to these places and people?
>>
>> Websites? Facebook groups? Travel industry trade organizations?
>>
>> If people can identify people/places/organizations I am glad to start
>> spreading the word, but my limited tries so far have not realized any
>> results.
>>
>> Or are you already working with companies or groups?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Blake
>>

>> On 1/14/2015 5:48 PM, John White wrote:
>> > Hi All
>> > I am please to announce that work has begun on Mapping Africa's
>> > Protected Areas. The first two National Parks selected for mapping
>> > are Serengeti National Park (Task 834
>> > <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/834>) and Niokolo-Koba National Park
>> > (Task 721 <http://tasks.hotosm.org/project/721>).
>> >
>> > As many of you are aware, Africa's National Parks, Nature Reserves and
>> > Game Reserves are an important and sustainable sources of foreign
>> > currency, jobs and upliftment in many countries on the African
>> > continent. Your assistance in mapping protected areas will help support
>> > tourism activity and therefore the surrounding communities.
>> >
>> > For more information on the list of reserves to be mapped, please visit:
>> > Our WikiProject
>> >
>> > <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_African_National_Parks_and_Reserves>
>> > Our Facebook Page <https://www.facebook.com/mappingprotectedareas>
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > John White

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

Phil Wyatt

Also passed on through the PAMS and cybertracker networks

http://pamsfoundation.org/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CyberTracker/124220177605061?fref=ts

They are bound to have some gps traces

Cheers - Phil

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

John-2
Hi Blake
Thanks for the valuable suggestions.
We have made a start by reaching out to the management at Serengeti National Park however I have not hear back from them as yet.
I like your idea of contacting local travel related organisations as they have a lot to benefit from have a quality map of the area.

To help manage who has been contacted (local businesses, websites, Facebook groups etc.), I have created an open Google Docs spreadsheet. A link to the spreadsheet has been added to the task manager.

Regards
John

On 14 January 2015 at 19:48, Blake Girardot <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tel: <a href="tel:%2B27796003658" value="+27796003658" target="_blank">+27796003658

Re: Work begins on Mapping Africa's Protected Areas

John-2
Hi All
The mapping of Serengeti National Park (Task 834
is progressing well with most of the roads and rivers now taking shape.
It is a large area though so any additional assistance would be much appreciated.

--
Regards
John White

Tel: +27796003658